Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Space Fishing and Space Fine Dining in Space
Rainbow 
Enterprising spacefishermen should have a way to make a fishing rod and cast it into space for various delicious spacefish, from the bog-standard assortment of fish you find in the chef's kitchen to the rare and valuable space sturgeon full of space caviar.
Why stop there? Some adventure zones have mushrooms and trees, so space truffles probably exist, as well.
Either make a killing on the market or serve a delicious meal full of space omega-3 fatty acids.
How are there fish and truffles in space? Clearly Mysterious happenings!
This sounds silly yet it also sounds like it would fill a very large niche.

What if there were an entire fishery department?
(04-19-2016, 12:52 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: This sounds silly yet it also sounds like it would fill a very large niche.

What if there were an entire fishery department?

And then fisherman traitors can release space sharks and space piranhas on the station.
Nothin' quite like reelin' in a big ol' fatty clown fish in the wee hours of an orbital period, rabid honkin' aside. Gotta keep that beatin' stick real close, ya know?
I could probably sprite up (but anyone else can too!) some wacky fish, Terraria style. Probably would be simple enough to code a clone of existing fish and slap on the new sprites.

How would the actual fishing system work though? I was thinking random wormholes that appear in space. Use a rod on it, receive a fish and then the wormhole disappears.
Wormholes would work. Or you just step outside and cast it into the stars surrounding the station.
Maybe also have some kind of redneck variant where you stick your hand in a wormhole and attempt to pull out a fish. Like those people that fish for catfish. Space noodling and all that.

Optional suggestion: A dedicated Fishing module for space pods.

Activate pod fishing rod, click on space wormhole to shoot the lure in. When you start getting tug messages, push the reel button (probably the fire button) to pull the rod back into the ship and view your catch.

You'll also need a Crate to hold fish.

Space fishing should also have an assorted array of junk, boots, and danger things.
~Newbie Coder Alert~

If some sprites are made, I will try my hand at a fishing system. I've been looking for a bit of DM practice, and this seems like a neat (and not TOO difficult) thing to do.

Edit: I will probably avoid the pod fishing suggestion as pod code currently scares me.
We already have fish sprites, which is in part why this suggestion was made, though you'd have to dig through the github to find them, and we all know how ~well~ labeled the dmi files are in there. (Seriously, it can be an utter nightmare to find anything in there.)

As for the overall suggestion, I'm not sure I fully support it. There would need to be some restriction on where/how you can fish, because just fishing anywhere in space seems.... a little too silly/absurd, even with all the absurdities that this game has.
I like this idea, there isn't anything wrong with things to do on the station as a non-traitor

Just imagine a grumpy captain sitting on the edge of the mining arm casting a line into deep space, reeling in a screeching, horrific example of space-aquatic life.

and maybe make a traitor version of the fishing rod that can reel people in
I back this simply because it could give me more fish to cook. I think I have only cooked 3 fish fillet burgers in my entire space life.

I like the wormhole idea, because it requires some hunting. Otherwise you could just fish out of an airlock and that would be pretty immersion breaking.
If space is a problem, just have people cast into the swimming pool.
(04-19-2016, 06:18 PM)Grifflez Wrote: I like this idea, there isn't anything wrong with things to do on the station as a non-traitor

Just imagine a grumpy captain sitting on the edge of the mining arm casting a line into deep space, reeling in a screeching, horrific example of space-aquatic life.

and maybe make a traitor version of the fishing rod that can reel people in

The traitor version should bring in a giant, horrific space shark, and require a human limb to use as bait.
While we do have some sprites already, some things like tropical fish would be neat. A fishing pole of some sort is also needed.
but will i be able to use the clown as bait?