Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make hats actually make sense.
Hat items shouldn't prevent strangling/changeling-grabbing/vampire biting, there's no logical reason they should. Helmets, facemasks and such are fine, but some silly hat that would provide no protection at all really shouldn't prevent a horrible demise, there is currently no reason to not wear a hat, and the only antag with a reliable way to remove them is the ling, all others have to spend around 30 seconds or so removing a hat, then a mask, when realistically speaking it would only take a couple seconds to remove a hat or even just ignore it.
(04-15-2016, 10:31 AM)Camnui Wrote: Hat items shouldn't prevent strangling/changeling-grabbing/vampire biting, there's no logical reason they should. Helmets, facemasks and such are fine, but some silly hat that would provide no protection at all really shouldn't prevent a horrible demise, there is currently no reason to not wear a hat, and the only antag with a reliable way to remove them is the ling, all others have to spend around 30 seconds or so removing a hat, then a mask, when realistically speaking it would only take a couple seconds to remove a hat or even just ignore it.

It may not make sense from a purely logical perspective, but it's absolutely necessary from a balance perspective.

As it is, some form of hat or mask is almost mandatory due to potential for near instant choke outs.

Plus, while I don't know much about the code, I feel like making exceptions for each and every hat that should or should not protect from choking would be a massive headache.
These aren't just hats; they're the next-gen Hyper-Ultra-Super-Mega-OMG HD 512k hats of tomorrow! Really, something like choke protection is minor compared to all of the free content it can stream from pootube using the built-in subspace wifi.

Choking people out is too easy a kill. Once you're in it there's no resistance, and it only takes about 1 second if you're unlucky. This isn't how real life works either. Unless that gets changed, I'd just be content with splashing acid on people. That takes care of the hat/mask/etc.
Attacking the head oughta roll for a chance to knock a hat off

It would be nice if stamina were tweaked a bit and choking just rapidly drained someone's stamina, giving them a fighting chance if they were on their toes.
alright, so I forgot you could melt headwear with acid, so I've no longer got as much of a complaint, but balancing out choking and having a roll for knocking hats off when attacking the head should be a thing.
(04-15-2016, 11:52 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: As it is, some form of hat or mask is almost mandatory due to potential for near instant choke outs.

Then surely we should fix this, right? Instant chokeout is fucking dumb anyway
(04-16-2016, 02:03 AM)Weavel Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 11:52 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: As it is, some form of hat or mask is almost mandatory due to potential for near instant choke outs.

Pretty much this. I like how things are now but they could be better. Fun Fact when everyone was abusing instant choking aka instant knock outs I nearly quit the game for good as it ruined a large amount of my rounds and was one of the worst things to ever hit this game imo.

(04-15-2016, 04:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Attacking the head oughta roll for a chance to knock a hat off

It would be nice if stamina were tweaked a bit and choking just rapidly drained someone's stamina, giving them a fighting chance if they were on their toes.

I've said that a thousand times along with my opinion that stamina in generally feels half finished. Nothing ever came from it. So good luck, not much gets taken from these threads anymore
(04-16-2016, 02:03 AM)Weavel Wrote:

I'm all for that.
Those insta-chokes always did seem sort of strange.
agreed, the hat thing makes no sense and having it be there to band-aid something that's broken is counterproductive

p.s. instant chokeouts are FUCKING DUMB
Near-Instant chokeouts are pretty realistic, but realism doesn't mean it's fun. I'm all for making then rapidly drain stamina and then allowing them to ignore hats
(06-12-2016, 04:39 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Near-Instant chokeouts are pretty realistic, but realism doesn't mean it's fun. I'm all for making then rapidly drain stamina and then allowing them to ignore hats

They're only realistic if we're assuming that these nerdy spacemen are highly trained in either martial arts or hand-to-hand combat.

While that may be a reasonable assumption for members of the security team, the captain, and maaaaybe the head of personnel, it would be incredibly unlikely that NT would spend a bunch of money on training a clown, a bunch of useless redshirts assistants, and god knows how many scientists to be killing machines.
spacemen are bred to have instinctive knowledge of combat to compliment their bloodlust. its why they love to suplex each other and leap off of chairs and shit
(06-12-2016, 05:19 PM)misto Wrote: spacemen are bred to have instinctive knowledge of combat to compliment their bloodlust. its why they love to suplex each other and leap off of chairs and shit

Nah, they all just watch too much wrestling television when they're bored.