Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hello, I am here to whine at you about how cold movement is too overpowered.
(04-07-2016, 01:57 AM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(04-06-2016, 11:49 PM)Grifflez Wrote: coats

bigger coats, seinfield

Yes! And they should make you slower then walking with no legs.

Edit: But you'd of course be very much immune to the cold, being set onfire is a whole other story.
(04-07-2016, 03:22 AM)Grifflez Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 01:57 AM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(04-06-2016, 11:49 PM)Grifflez Wrote: coats

bigger coats, seinfield

Yes! And they should make you slower then walking with no legs.

Edit: But you'd of course be very much immune to the cold, being set onfire is a whole other story.

There are those dumb looking orange emergency suits, but they're hard to find (even more on cog2 with less O2 closets), and they rip off if you slip in space.
I feel like Hoodies would make the perfect staff assistant accessory.

Less insulation than actual space gear, but the strong urge to write graffiti in captain's office.

Although maybe it could inspire some griff so I don't know.
raise the hood up or down
(04-07-2016, 12:23 PM)Arborinus Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 03:22 AM)Grifflez Wrote: Yes! And they should make you slower then walking with no legs.

There are those dumb looking orange emergency suits, but they're hard to find (even more on cog2 with less O2 closets), and they rip off if you slip in space.

The problem there is that the emergency suits don't protect too well against the cold. They're basically useless!
(04-07-2016, 07:33 PM)Grifflez Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 12:23 PM)Arborinus Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 03:22 AM)Grifflez Wrote: Yes! And they should make you slower then walking with no legs.

The problem there is that the emergency suits don't protect too well against the cold. They're basically useless!
According to code comments, there was a point in time where wearing them actually increased the damage that you'd take from space, as a sort of "fuck-you for trying, try hard." (Old goon times were different.)

Their current problem is the lack of cold protection and that they rip off in space means they hold no role. No reason to wear them in the station, and no reason to wear them in space. Fix one and then they'd at least have some use.
I like the sweaters idea. Balance it by having the hood be unable to be used with a mask (it's not big enough or something) or- here's an interesting idea- have it cut off peripheral and rear vision. If you have the hood up- you can only see forward.
Emergency suits are jokes. I mean, literally. They still have uses though:
  • They slow heat loss.
  • They're flagged as spacewear.
  • The hood covers the eyes and mouth. It actually has no real downsides.
  • You can often find them in your box (yet they don't fit back in there for some reason?)
  • Walking down the hallway in one of these with a random name gains you little attention outside of some snickering.

Though for the most part you're just better off grabbing a firesuit.

Hmm... while I do like the idea of more things to wear for just that reason, I don't think of it as a fix for the situation. You can already grab a firesuit, and you see how many people do that. With a penalty there's no point to it, outside looks. Without a penalty everyone wears it, which puts a major damper on spessman fashion.

The main place to start from my pov would be heatloss and gain. Being slowed down to nothing in 1 or even 2 ticks is grating, and taking over a minute to recover is just hell. Especially when you generally have no choice but to head back into that cold.

Fun related factoid: Hoodies are in the code.
you know, if emergency suits werent -still- useless trash after all these years they could be a simple solution to all this, considering how plentiful they are. alas, they still slow you to a fucking crawl, just like the cold does, and nobody gives a shit about them
As a related note, putting on a spacesuit while already frozen to the point of taking damage won't actually warm you up - you continue taking damage until you die. Dunno if it's a bug or intended behaviour or what, but it's not very fun either.
I think space being so extremely cold is a bug anyway. This is a good idea if you ask me.