Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Personal AI
This is an idea that I've had for quite awhile now, and I think that it's possible that it won't be a complete clusterfuck. Also this might be a thing already on other servers? idunnoidontplaythatshit
How does it works?
Let's say someone is dead pretty early on, and their body is gone, a roboticist builds a micro AI chip(this thing[Image: tXEpkTY.png]) and activates it. A prompt would come up for ghosts, or maybe even observers, asking if would like to an AI. If they choose yes, then they become an AI.
What about balance?
For balance issues, the AI wouldn't have access to key AI features such as calling the shuttle and bolting/shocking doors. The abilities and access of that AI would be limited based on the owners ID being swiped. If an Assistant were to get their hands on one of these, it would be next to useless, as the AI's capabilities are the same as the ID. Now, if the Captain were to be issued an AI, if they swiped their ID on the AI, it would get almost complete access. Again, even at full access it can't call the shuttle, as a dead person with the ability to call the shuttle would totally not lead to horrible rounds. Security access will allow it to mess with the brig timer, open security doors, Even with HoS' authorization, it can't access the security armory. It would also be bound to the rules of the AI and Borgs, so no, the owner can't create an asshole AI at will.
So what does it do?
This all really depends on what kind of access the AI is given. The basics are that it can interact with basic computers, regular doors, fire alarms, etc. Let's say a QM get's their hands on one of these, it will have the same access as them, and therefore be able to use the Mule, and Order/Sell on the QM terminal. As I said before, the Captain's AI would have most access, but there have to be limits to make sure it doesn't outshine the actual AI, so no bolting doors or closing Airbridges.  As far as it's view, I'm actually conflicted on how it would see, but I think it being stuck with the players viewpoint is fine enough. I don't have specifics for every job, so go ahead on add on to this if you want.
Rampant AI
It seemed kinda inevitable to give the Traitor a form of the personal AI. It works as you'd expect, they use an E-Mag on Micro Chip, and the AI is given access to those nasty bolts and shocks. "Well shit, you just contradicted yourself on balance issues, man." Yeah, but there is a twist to this, aka a shitty cop out, due to the large amount of access and power, the AI has started to go through rampancy and has become unstable, and is now dying. Your time to be an asshole is limited to around 10-15 minutes.

This is a bit of a rough draft of the idea, and a coding mess, but it gets the general ideas down. There are probably a bunch of flaws I missed, but maybe you guys can point them out.
I just like the idea of being some random sassy-robot helper that's dragged around. Even if all it could do is talk, it'd still be great. Just stick it on your belt and enjoy the fun. The only balancing would be to not let it be able to speak over the radio, but do allow it to listen to the radio of whoever is carrying it.

Just dispensing stupid comments could be great.

"HELLO, I AM HELPER BUDDY! I AM HERE TO ASSIST YOU IN ANYWAY POSSIBLE."
"IT IS HIGHLY INADVISABLE TO CONSUME DISCOUNT DAN PRODUCTS. OH DEAR, YOU DIDN'T LISTEN. WHAT DID I TELL YOU."
"MY LOGICAL PROCESSORS SAY THAT THERE IS A 70% CHANCE OF THE BAR DRINKS HERE BEING POISON. I ALSO DON'T HAVE A REAGENT SCANNER."
"REMEMBER, IN DOCTORING, EPINEPHRINE FIRST, QUESTIONS LATER."
"YOU FORGOT YOUR PRODOCS. IT'S HARD TO DOCTOR WITHOUT THOSE."
"HOW TO PERFORM HEART SURGERY: FIRST, TAKE A SCAPEL. SECOND, JAM IT IN YOUR OWN EYE. PARDON. TARGET CHEST AND THEN SCALPEL-SAW-SCAPEL, NEXT, APPLY MEDICATION SUCH AS STYPTIC AND SALBUTAMOL, AND THEN SUTURE WOUNDS."
"REMINDER THAT I AM NOT A TRAINED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL."
"PLEASE DO NOT CRIME. I AM HERE TO HELP YOU LIVE NOT TO HELP YOU KILL."

Capslock optional.

It could probably also use a custom law set in reference to its skills.

Maybe also use it as a hacking buddy? Hit a door with it to attach it, and in like ~30 seconds - 1 minute it could open the door, maybe after playing its own hacking minigame. Or possibly explode from short circuiting. The AI could also definitely set the helper buddy to explode if it noticed hacking shenanigans.

Maybe also let it access computers from afar? Let it play the stock market while you fuddle about, only to get arrested by the space IRS/HOS because setting AI's to play the stock market is illegal. whoops.

Wire a bunch of individual AIs together and plug it into the AI chamber to create a scrappy hobo-AI that is played by multiple people, but only appears to be one AI.

Wire it into your PDA to act as a personal organizer for contacting people. That, or let it just dispense tickets from your PDA freely.

Different ID cards should definitely let it do different things. Like, a sec-AI could get the verb to state Miranda-rights, or an engieer-AI could adjust the PTL from anywhere. Access to certain features could be manually adjusted by the owner of the AI.

I like this feature.
(04-05-2016, 06:15 PM)Mageziya Wrote: WORDS

I also like this feature and the examples you gave. 

The Personal AI owner of course should ahelp if a bad pAI attempts to scream "X KILLED ME AND IS A CHANGELING" upon creation
I normally dislike any 'bring dead people back' idea, but this one has possibilities. Dunno what happened to drones, but the information on them was kinda nebulous anyways.

It would need a prompt, however, every. single. time. you became one. Otherwise we'd have people who haven't read the rules screaming about their killers. I mean, we still will, but ahelp.
(04-06-2016, 01:37 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: Dunno what happened to drones, but the information on them was kinda nebulous anyways.

Aw man. I thought from the codebase they were just a work in progress, not dead in the water completely. I thought the idea was just that they'd effectively be construction borgs that couldn't communcate with the rest of the crew in any meaningful way and would basically always operate on Asimov laws regardless of the AI's current lawset. 

Although I guess there'd always be placing floor tiles to say JOE GRIFEMAN IS A BAD MAN or whatever.

Still, back on topic. This idea sounds great. I've only played Goon so I don't know how the pAIs on /tg/station work, but I'm all for harmless/ineffective gimmick roles the dead can come back as if eligible (like how the random antagonist checks disallow people who suicided in order to game the system).

Seconding the numerous cries of ahelp a personal AI screaming bloody murder and pointing to its former killer.

Actually, while we're on the topic of ineffectual gimmick roles, whatever happened to brain assemblies?
Ahem ghostdrones are still a work in progress.

I like the idea of extending their functionality out to include this pAI stuff though. Pick up a ghostdrone floating by and make him serve you. yes.

Edit: You'd have to wear the drone as a hat of course
(04-06-2016, 08:34 AM)Wire Wrote: Ahem ghostdrones are still a work in progress.

I like the idea of extending their functionality out to include this pAI stuff though. Pick up a ghostdrone floating by and make him serve you. yes.

WEAR ME AS YOUR HAT AND I WILL ONLY SERVE YOU
(04-06-2016, 08:34 AM)Wire Wrote: Ahem ghostdrones are still a work in progress.

Show me where to insert the <resource/money> to make this happen and by god I'll do it so fast
I like the idea of a kind of AI PDA assistant that can run programs for you. Like some kinda Siri/Cortana thing.

Give it access to most of the PDA functions, maybe sans messaging. Maybe some kind of method of interfacing with consoles/computers/vending machines you're logged into so they can do tasks for you and save you trips

This might require more PDA applications though.
Uses for PDAs other than "sext the AI" and "explode immediately" would probably be good
might be cool if there was a traitor item that let PAI's take control of beepsky and guard buddies that are in range.

maybe normal PAIs could only hijack non emagged firebots, scrub bots, floor bots and medi buddies (probably also butt bots) within range. Pretty much giving you a way to control fires, build floors, etc provided you don't leave the area. Sort of a poor man's guard buddies because it's dependent on another player's skill, and other than medi buddies, is somewhat useless in combat.

Butt bots could maybe only fart and talk with butt mixed into parts of their conversations, so other then being funny there's no reason to control one.

duck bots might be fun too, but spawning toys and quacking doesn't sound like a fun thing for a ghost to do if there's a cooldown.

That would make PAI's just as fun as borgs, maybe even more so because if you're the roboticist PAI he can build you several fun bodies you can jump to and from.
A pAI PDA would probably need some buffs as there really isn't much you can do in there on your own (unless you go nuts on a coding rampage).

Buffs might include things like a pAI in a PDA with an active medical scanner might see medgoggle type hearts or be able to scan people at short ranges. A security pAI might be able to give off a short stun to an adjacent target. A mining pAI might be able to blast rock somehow. A detective pAI could scan and compare fingerprints. Ect. Also more powerful versions of base programs might be available through vending, wrecks, or syndi PDAs.