Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Flavor Garbage
Disposals and routing are woefully underused. 

Every 5 minutes, a bunch of random items should spawn and pop out the chute in the crusher room. These items would be mostly trash, but maybe sometimes something interesting. This would make dumpster diving much more fun since no one ever flushes anything anyways. Also I guess it could be something for the janitor to clean out more often.

A similar idea for routing. Occasionally an abandoned crate or other strange item should spawn on the belts with a random barcode destination. The routing doors on Cog2 are usually inaccessible, but having more things fly through and opening them would open a whole new terrain for adventurous assistants and prison escapees.
(03-23-2016, 08:26 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Disposals and routing are woefully underused. 

Every 5 minutes, a bunch of random items should spawn and pop out the chute in the crusher room. These items would be mostly trash, but maybe sometimes something interesting. This would make dumpster diving much more fun since no one ever flushes anything anyways. Also I guess it could be something for the janitor to clean out more often.

A similar idea for routing. Occasionally an abandoned crate or other strange item should spawn on the belts with a random barcode destination. The routing doors on Cog2 are usually inaccessible, but having more things fly through and opening them would open a whole new terrain for adventurous assistants and prison escapees.

This sounds really cool and adds a lot of flavor.  I'm all for it
Sounds neat.

Alternatively, we could do some big public campaign to remind people to use and flush the disposals, since I swear at times I'm the only one who actually uses those things.
(03-24-2016, 07:52 AM)Mageziya Wrote: Sounds neat.

Alternatively, we could do some big public campaign to remind people to use and flush the disposals, since I swear at times I'm the only one who actually uses those things.

Maybe if something sits is in the disposals chutes for too long without flushing, it should start to smell really bad. Hiding in em ought to have the same effect and require showering to get rid of.
You know how the PC computers have junk mail in them? Send printed versions to various departments through disposals! Not in crates (they'd build up), but as loose piles.
I feel like if crates magically appearing from belt hell becomes a thing, their appearance and contents should be randomized. Imagine dragging yourself out of the burning hellhole that was once your department, severely injured and near death, you see a medical crate that seems to have come out of the depths of belt hell, you barely make it to the crate, gasping for life, and open it. The contents? A complete clown outfit and a single bike horn. Honk.
It'd be neat if the station acted as a sort of routing depot. Items shot in from other stations to be delivered or disposed of. Maybe with the odd bear crate here or there to liven things up. NT has to keep us slackers on our toes after all.
(03-24-2016, 03:01 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: It'd be neat if the station acted as a sort of routing depot. Items shot in from other stations to be delivered or disposed of. Maybe with the odd bear crate here or there to liven things up. NT has to keep us slackers on our toes after all.

Wait, this actually sounds amazing.

Also sorta ties in with how the PTL functions, an interconnection space station connect with people who aren't actually there. Add a receiving port some where and an ejection port and it'd be interesting, although stuff flying out the side side of the station would probably get warped to other z-levels and clutter the place up a fair bit. Maybe add a teleporter that everything gets belted to and then could be manually processed/warped off the station by someone? Hell this could literally be a new job potential right here, or just an extension of someone like the QM. The crates that move through the station could be those locked shipment crates you find all over debris field.

I can't think of much else, but there is definitely potential here.
(03-24-2016, 03:11 PM)Mageziya Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 03:01 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: It'd be neat if the station acted as a sort of routing depot. Items shot in from other stations to be delivered or disposed of. Maybe with the odd bear crate here or there to liven things up. NT has to keep us slackers on our toes after all.

Wait, this actually sounds amazing.

Also sorta ties in with how the PTL functions, an interconnection space station connect with people who aren't actually there. Add a receiving port some where and an ejection port and it'd be interesting, although stuff flying out the side side of the station would probably get warped to other z-levels and clutter the place up a fair bit. Maybe add a teleporter that everything gets belted to and then could be manually processed/warped off the station by someone? Hell this could literally be a new job potential right here, or just an extension of someone like the QM. The crates that move through the station could be those locked shipment crates you find all over debris field.

I can't think of much else, but there is definitely potential here
The random crates coming through could be locked sometimes, other times they're full of random stuff, could be fun, could be junk, and some crates could be pre-tagged for various departments, meaning the QM will notice crates showing up, up to them if they wanna grab them. A few of them could be tagged as "transfer" meaning the QM can ship them off for a quick profit of say, 100-500 credits, or they could go through the trouble of hacking/popping them open and seeing what the contents are, which again could be anything because hey, it's the mail. Who knows what someone was mailing someone else. Could be a trapped crate with a grenade in it, maybe a gun, or organs, but more likely it's just something that's worthless to you and is now worth absolutely nothing because you cracked open that crate when you should've shipped it off.

I like the idea that some crates could actually be for the station, with printed instructions on the outside.

A bunch of seeds that Botany needs to grow, some NPC prisoners for Security to keep jailed until a shuttle comes to pick them up.

Completing these tasks could give everyone in that department a nice cash bonus, or they could just shove them out back into space.
Add drugs and food of questionable quality to the garbage spawnlist for junkies and freegans.