Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Pickpocket Grapple traitor item for engineering
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...e?expand=1

Edit: I think I included a couple auto-generated files when struggling to learn GitHub & GH Desktop, oops. goonstation.int and the rsc will be reverted from the branch as soon as I figure out how. :V

This is a pickpocket grapple gun for the engineering team, who don't get nearly enough complicated toys. It is self-charging like a radbow (so you only get one shot every so often, not good in a firefight) and fires in three modes, each of which changes depending on what body part you are targeting. The three modes are steal, plant, and harass.

Steal & chest: Takes the target's ID card and the most straightforwardly practical application.
Steal & head: Takes the target's mask slot item. A nasty thing to do to someone in a vacuum.
Steal & hand: Takes one item in target's hand, preferring the hand side being targeted.
Steal & leg: Takes one item in target's pockets, preferring the hand side being targeted.

Plant mode replaces items inserted into the gun back on the target in the same slots as steal mode. Someone devious could find clever uses for this. (Trick cigarettes, anybody?) Failure to plant drops the items on the tile hit.

Harass mode is total Three Stooges slapstick mode.
Harass & head: Does one of the following, depending on what's available: Knocks off their hat slot item and sends it flying, takes their eyewear and destroys it, or delivers a vicious eye poke.
Harass & chest: Delivers wedgie with brief stun attached.
Harass & arms: Forces target to hit themself with held item, or punch self if empty hand. Stop hitting yourself!
Harass & legs: Ties target's shoelaces together into an impossible knot. Wirecutters or scissors might solve the problem.

This is my first semi-major foray into DM and this is an ugly amalgamation of recycled code. Advice and adjustments are welcome!
I'm all for this, it sounds absolutely hilarious, an enterprising engineer might give this to a clown who couldn't resist using it.
I'd love to see this added in.
This is an amazing idea.
Oh fuck, do this.

EDIT: Imagine someone stealing your c-saber, then you grappling them into smacking themselves right in the head with it
I'm hesitant to get behind this. I'd be for it if it just pulled whoever or whatever you grapple toward your character or vice versa.

I'd be even more inclined to support this if emagging the hook allowed you to rip limbs off of people.
Brilliant idea.

I really hope this is added, it really shows what Goonstation's traitor items should be capable of. This would definitely fit into goonstation.
(03-16-2016, 12:19 PM)Grayshift Wrote: Advice and adjustments are welcome!

Well, for one it doesn't compile because you haven't added code/datums/projectiles/pickpocket.dm to the .dme  v

Aside from that, though:
  • You should use "\the [foo]" instead of "the [foo]" so the output is still correct when you insert an ID or other thing with a proper name ("You remove the Pubs McGraytide's ID Card (Staff Assistant) from the gun.") Same with "\A [foo]" instead of "A [foo]" so it automatically selects "A" or "An".
  • https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...91ed7f5R55 This should probably be linkedGun.heldItem
  • https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...91ed7f5R57 This doesn't actually put the stolen item into the gun! Or at least not as far as BYOND is concerned. This is most easily seen if you try to steal a PDA with activated flashlight from someone; the light stays centered on the person instead of the gun.
  • If you shoot a plant projectile at someone and don't hit anything, the item you're planting goes away:
    [Image: CZFaAjW.png]
    (no, it's not on the floor)
  • When you try to insert a 15k power cell into the gun, you get a RTE because it's trying to look up a max_charge var which doesn't exist (it's spelled maxcharge) but that's not your fault, it also happens with the radbow. Nevermind, this doesn't only happen with cells, it happens with everything you try to insert that isn't gun ammo.
  • Steal/plant probably should add a combat log entry showing what got stolen/planted.
Thank you kindly! I think I've addressed most of the problems you've brought up.

-Now using \the and \a
-Changed how steal's stpudity check works, no more dumb error with set_loc on something
*Placing the item "inside" the gun is still... buggy. I've tried to copy the way small_storage_parent is doing it several different ways but the PDA light remains frustratingly centered on the person being stolen from. That said, it still works practically.
-Fixed error where a plant shot could expire without colliding, therefor abandoning its heldItem in nullspace. Now if this happens, the gun retains ownership of the item and it can be removed as per normal
-I think RTE means runtime error? I haven't fixed that, I'm not sure what that entails
-Logs what is stolen/planted in a mildly clumsy manner

Mostly today was spent figuring out GitHub and GitHub desktop and pushing buttons at random until I got my local branch up to speed with the byond 510 update.
something like this should be shared between engineer and the clown
also sounds like something that should show up in the supply crate

because why not?
(03-19-2016, 09:34 PM)APARTHEID Wrote: also sounds like something that should show up in the supply crate

because why not?

I think so, it seems prone to fun hijinks and shouldn't be limited just to the class of "start the engine and watch as mechanics does more interesting things than you"
clown is good though
It should show up in supply crates, so those who don't play engineer and leave things up to chance have a fair whack at getting one.

It is however intended to be a complicated gizmo and stealth tool, harass mode intended to be a method of last resort or escape tool (or just to be a dick). Clowns don't mesh with 'complicated gizmo' and especially not with 'stealth.'

I'm sure some mechanic traitor will eventually be happy to order one and a syndi scanner and make dozens and dozens for the crew to prank each other with. No ID card left unstolen!

Basically I think engineers get shafted when it comes to cool traitor gear. Assistants and clowns get enough special options as is.
I think this is a hilarious idea. Engineers would be glad to have something this cool, and probably incredibly dangerous
This would be a freaking fantastic engi (and possibly mechanic) item. More "fun" traitor items are ALWAYS in need.