Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Some blood-based item suggestions
Blood is a new mechanic that doesn't always work the best, but there's surprisingly few items in the game based around it. Sharp objects cause bleeding, bandages stop it, and blood packs replenish it. I'm suggesting a few items that have additional interactions with the blood mechanic to make it a little more in-depth.

Coagulation Serum (Chem)
A medical chem that when injected, ends current bleed effects and lowers any future blood loss by one stage until the chem depletes.

Anti-coagulation Serum (Chem)
A medical chem that when injected, increases any blood loss by one stage until the chem depletes. Works well on a scalpel tip.

Nanoblood (Robotics, Traitor only)
An alternative to blood, you can replace all of your blood with this using bloodbags. The white blood will act like synthflesh and heal you from brute damage and close your wounds if you are caused bleeding, but it is incredibly obvious.

Peculiar Blood(Wizard shuttle only)
A regular bloodbag, but flashier, works faster and also acts as a bandage to seal wounds.

Syndicate Medic Armor (Syndie shuttle, surplus crate item)
Similar to a paramedic suit, but it instantly seals up bleeding wounds, injects morphine when you are injured, and occasionally talks like a drill sargeant. If EMPed/Emagged, injects ketamine.

Bleeding Artifact (artifact effect)
Tiny size. Reduces bleeding while it is in your inventory.
Overdosing on the coagulation serum would cause your blood to just stop flowing, while overdosing on the anti-coagulation serum would just cause you to start bleeding from everywhere/vomiting blood.
I think these are all amazing ideas. I dont see the point of being able to emag the syndicate medic armor though. Unless in specifically traitor vs traitor battles or in the event someone steals your emag (Impossible, if you've ordered a surplus crate, but possible in syndicate). Emagging nanoblood though, sounds sort of interesting. Nanoblood does give off a "tech" vibe that would work alright with an emag. Maybe have it worsen bleeding wounds by pushing out blood instead of stitching wounds back up, and potentially weaken skin so you take more damage? Not too sure about that second part. Maybe make it a little less obvious if its emagged so when you inject people with it through blood bags they don't know how much it's hurting them until later. I feel like nanoblood may be something to have available to doctors in general, instead of just robotics, but for all I know roboticists can be severely lacking in special stuff
(03-09-2016, 01:36 PM)Totheark Wrote: I think these are all amazing ideas. I dont see the point of being able to emag the syndicate medic armor though.

Emag, leave laying around, watch as staff assistant strolls up and puts himself into a ketamine coma.
Anticoagulants could probably have legitimate medical uses for treating heart conditions or some such
I like these ideas, but i think nanoblood should be available to regular crew. Perhaps from the derelict shop or as a secret chem?
Not everything needs to do something when emagged. The damn thing is powerful enough already. That said I'm all for things to put in your blood or things to replace it with.

So of course I have ideas:

Prototype Respirocytes (Robotics, Blood Replacement)
Microscopic machines that emulate the function of real red blood cells only they're far more efficient. This gives you increased stamina regeneration and allows for you to hold your breath a lot longer. They're a prototype so expect some issues when using them like increased stun duration from electrical shock, sporadic tox damage, and taking more tox damage from harmful chems. Chemistry has the potential to improve upon the prototype.

Hemopoiesis Serum (Chem)
A medical chem that when injected causes blood to regenerate slowly. Reduces stamina recovery until depleted. Eating increases the chems effectiveness. Causes hypertension if it creates more blood than the body can hold.

Mega-Hemopoiesis Serum (Chem, Dangerous)
A varient of hemopoiesis serum favored by vampires and doctors treating their victims. It produces large volumes of blood dangerously quick with out regard for the body's ability to hold it. Only small doses are safe for medical use, anything greater risks turning you into a fountain of blood or worse- an over filled blood balloon ready to pop.
Oh hey this is some cool shit!! Do this
More doctoring is good and more ways to use the blood/bleeding mechanic is also good. Features~~~
ZeWaka pointed me to this thread, sorry I missed it for so long!

(03-09-2016, 03:01 AM)Isaacs Alter Ego Wrote: Coagulation Serum (Chem)
A medical chem that when injected, ends current bleed effects and lowers any future blood loss by one stage until the chem depletes.

Anti-coagulation Serum (Chem)
A medical chem that when injected, increases any blood loss by one stage until the chem depletes. Works well on a scalpel tip.

These both actually exist right now in the code, just in very early forms - only a couple bleeding-related functions make use of them atm, though both are pretty major (the part where you take damage that can increase your bleeding, and the part where your bleeding has a chance to naturally slow down or stop).  They need to be expanded a bit before recipes are added, I think.  Also I have to think of recipes for them v  The anticoagulant is heparin right now, but I need to do some research into coagulants.

The other ideas sound interesting and I'll take a look into them soon!  Though I do agree with the other people in here saying that the emag does quite enough so if the medic armor makes it in, it'll probably be without that functionality.

I really like the idea of synthetic blood/magic blood, as well.  I'll definitely look into that soon.

(03-09-2016, 11:34 PM)RAWK_LAWBSTAR Wrote: Prototype Respirocytes (Robotics, Blood Replacement)
Microscopic machines that emulate the function of real red blood cells only they're far more efficient. This gives you increased stamina regeneration and allows for you to hold your breath a lot longer. They're a prototype so expect some issues when using them like increased stun duration from electrical shock, sporadic tox damage, and taking more tox damage from harmful chems. Chemistry has the potential to improve upon the prototype.

Hemopoiesis Serum (Chem)
A medical chem that when injected causes blood to regenerate slowly. Reduces stamina recovery until depleted. Eating increases the chems effectiveness. Causes hypertension if it creates more blood than the body can hold.

Mega-Hemopoiesis Serum (Chem, Dangerous)
A varient of hemopoiesis serum favored by vampires and doctors treating their victims. It produces large volumes of blood dangerously quick with out regard for the body's ability to hold it. Only small doses are safe for medical use, anything greater risks turning you into a fountain of blood or worse- an over filled blood balloon ready to pop.

I like these ideas as well!
I like all these ideas.

Especially the bit about a scalpel you can cause more bleeding with. If bows ever become craftable, blood thinner tipped arrows should be especially fun.
Yes, I remember this thread! Good stuff. I also like the respirocyte-stuff! Real-world tech that can be extrapolated to SS13 and Nanotrasen's Safety Policies:tm: is always cool to see. Not sure how I feel about nukies having an armor that heals them, but if it's not as resistant, maybe.

Also, hue, the blood-balloon.

@Haine and coagulant chemicals: thrombin? Fibrin glue? Zeolites? I dunno.
Cyroadaptive Synth-Blood (Blood Replacement)
A synthetic blood substitute that is designed to protect you against cold. This comes at the expense of being able to tolerate heat.

Thermoadaptive Synth-Blood (Blood Replacement)
A synthetic blood substitute that is designed to protect you against cold. This comes at the expense of being able to tolerate cold.

Extremoadaptive Synth-Blood (Blood Replacement, Dangerous)
An experimental synth-blood that protects you from a wide range of temperatures. It is, however, highly reactive with certain chemicals and is completely unable to clot.

Clowniform Disorder Type I Blood (Blood Replacement...?)
A rare blood type found only in some clowns. This particular type of clowniform blood is very slippery and remains a bright shiny red even once dried. Under no circumstance should this blood be transfused to non-clowns as it tends to cause a reduction in coordination and motor skills; sometimes permanently.

Syndicate Plasma Spore Serum (Chem, Traitor Only)
Serum taken from plasma spores with a few additives thrown in by the Syndicate. So long as its in your system is causes your spilled blood to grow into difficult to remove plasma spores polyps which will eventually grow into their more familiar forms. This of course also means your blood is spectacularly flammable.
Silly Idea: Add safety glue to office lockers which can be used to stop some bleeding more effectively, and maybe be eaten by the crew like kindergarteners or sniffed like drug addicts.

This is good for ghetto medicine, and also cause it could open up things like paper mache later, if the clown wants to introduce pinatas onto the station.
(09-15-2016, 06:35 AM)RAWK_LAWBSTAR Wrote: Cyroadaptive Synth-Blood (Blood Replacement)
A synthetic blood substitute that is designed to protect you against cold. This comes at the expense of being able to tolerate heat.

Thermoadaptive Synth-Blood (Blood Replacement)
A synthetic blood substitute that is designed to protect you against cold. This comes at the expense of being able to tolerate cold.

Extremoadaptive Synth-Blood (Blood Replacement, Dangerous)
An experimental synth-blood that protects you from a wide range of temperatures. It is, however, highly reactive with certain chemicals and is completely unable to clot.

Clowniform Disorder Type I Blood (Blood Replacement...?)
A rare blood type found only in some clowns. This particular type of clowniform blood is very slippery and remains a bright shiny red even once dried. Under no circumstance should this blood be transfused to non-clowns as it tends to cause a reduction in coordination and motor skills; sometimes permanently.

Syndicate Plasma Spore Serum (Chem, Traitor Only)
Serum taken from plasma spores with a few additives thrown in by the Syndicate. So long as its in your system is causes your spilled blood to grow into difficult to remove plasma spores polyps which will eventually grow into their more familiar forms. This of course also means your blood is spectacularly flammable.

Now, this is really neat too. The idea of augmentations that aren't strict upgrades (the flaws inherent in, say, cyberhearts, or these various blood types) would be fucking great to have customizability and downsides. For instance, I'd take cryoadaptive synth-blood since I hate breaches and then watch as I burst into flames horribly/die due to overexposure to the general vicinity of the engine. You gain an advantage yet put yourself at a knowing risk, one of my favorite kinds of gameplay variables.

Also I could abduct people, put cryo-blood in them, then strip them and throw them in a small room with a jacked-up space heater and watch as they die horrifically. (Note: this will kill you even in normal scenarios.) I love your ideas for this, RAWK. The idea that robotics could become a sort of de facto spaceman augmentation suite excites me, and if not and surgery gets more to do, all the better! I would be happy to see any and all of these ideas implemented.

Also yes to glue. More arts n farts n crafts
[Image: 5hzHZBy.png]