Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The New Goonstation Wiki
Curious how to update the map? I'm willing to put in the time but have no idea how to even begin.
First capture the pre-shenanigans station in about four hundred screenshots. Then spend nine hours puzzling them together in photoshop into a monstrous 6400x6400px png.
How 2 create new page? I want to create a user sandbox page, but everytime I do, it says the damn thing is not found?
TheNewTeddy Wrote:Curious how to update the map? I'm willing to put in the time but have no idea how to even begin.

Also, if you give me the screenshots, I'd piece it up together in no time. Photoshop + 32pixel grid + snap to = Jigsaw.
Sundance Wrote:How 2 create new page? I want to create a user sandbox page, but everytime I do, it says the damn thing is not found?
Does this link not work? Unless I misunderstood and you meant something else.
Convair880 Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:How 2 create new page? I want to create a user sandbox page, but everytime I do, it says the damn thing is not found?

It does! I was using the link that was at the bottom of this page: http://wiki.ss13.co/Guide_to_Contributi ... ikistation, it was just bringing to a cloud page that stated it was not found. Odd
Sundance Wrote:
Convair880 Wrote:

It does! I was using the link that was at the bottom of this page: http://wiki.ss13.co/Guide_to_Contributi ... ikistation, it was just bringing to a cloud page that stated it was not found. Odd
Yeah, new pages started doing that for some reason?
Messing with the URL will allow you to make it though.
TheNewTeddy Wrote:Curious how to update the map? I'm willing to put in the time but have no idea how to even begin.

Mysha and I have a sort of mapping co-op agreement. I set up my local server for him and make his ghost invisible. Then he runs a script to use admin commands to jump to specific coords and save a screenshot. Once this is finished (about 8 minutes), he runs another script in GIMP to piece the images together into a 6400x6400 image and sends it to me.

For my part, I run a photoshop script on the map to generate appropriate google maps tiles. Then I run a png optimizer (png gauntlet because I like guis) to shrink the folder down to a reasonable size and finally upload it to my server.

The lengths we go to.
Wire Wrote:

Mysha and I have a sort of mapping co-op agreement. I set up my local server for him and make his ghost invisible. Then he runs a script to use admin commands to jump to specific coords and save a screenshot. Once this is finished (about 8 minutes), he runs another script in GIMP to piece the images together into a 6400x6400 image and sends it to me.

For my part, I run a photoshop script on the map to generate appropriate google maps tiles. Then I run a png optimizer (png gauntlet because I like guis) to shrink the folder down to a reasonable size and finally upload it to my server.

The lengths we go to.

I have to admit, whatever update about the wiremap, something went wrong somewhere. The tiles are now pretty lossy looking, like they weren't saved in png or something, that and the maint shafts are now totally dark.
That said the new zoom is nice. v
Sundance Wrote:I have to admit, whatever update about the wiremap, something went wrong somewhere. The tiles are now pretty lossy looking, like they weren't saved in png or something, that and the maint shafts are now totally dark.
That said the new zoom is nice. v

I moved away from a google maps system for space/bandwidth saving reasons and a greater degree of control. The new system only uses one "layer" of PNGs that you zoom in and out of, thus any zoom level past 1:1 is zooming into those tiles and will result in some loss of quality (depending on your browser and OS). The main benefit of this system is the decreased file size of tiles (48mb for the old google maps tiles, 2.8mb for the new tiles) which results in faster loading, as well as an increased amount of zoom levels (as there is no need to generate a new layer of tiles for each zoom level now). Basically, the lossy look at high zoom levels is known about and I have deemed it "fuck it, good enough" for the purposes of silly spaceman maps.

Also an addendum: the system behind the new maps was built by Isilkor and his Telescience Tool that he graciously helped me port over to goonhub.
http://wiki.ss13.co/Donut_Station_2

Found some problems here:

Quote:Donut Station 2 was the first station to:

hire a Head Surgeon.
hire Mechanics.
use the Singularity Engine.
feature 3x3 tile meteors.
feature the Clown car.
feature a Port-a-brig and Port-a-medbay.
feature Guardbuddies.
have a research system for Robotics.

Donut Station 2 was the last station to:

have Atmospherics, mainly used for storing different types of gases.
hire NT Security.
hire a Clown.
hire a Boxer.
have the Alien gamemode on rotation.

A) Mechanics (AKA Electricians) were around on Devstation; I remember this well because they only had a tiny little shack above Engineering where they had to put together items out of boxes within boxes, and started with poor vision because of this (it was a poorly lit closet).

B) Devstation used the Singularity engine. It was the only engine I ever saw being used on Devstation; I came into SS13 when it was still new and novel.

C) Devstation also had the clown car. I know this because I prayed for one as a clown back on Devstation and was given a cursed clown car as a joke. It was already a traitor item by then because I'm pretty sure I got murdered once or twice for having a clown car obtained through serendipity like that.

Donut 2.0 was also the last station to have a Pathology department, hire lawyers or barbers, if I remember correctly.

Also
http://wiki.ss13.co/Devstation

Needs to add that Devstation was also the first to:
* Introduce Miners and the Mining Outpost, as well as the concept of mining ore.

It was also the last map to:
* Hire a Chief Miner.
I do not know when things were implemented.

Well thanks, Crumplehat, I sorted it out.
Wait there was a chief miner?

I imagine one to be a burly drunken dwarf man yelling at the miners to stop slacking off and get back to work. With a rather large bar glass full of beer.

Anyway any chance that the wiki will get updated on how to do mechanical component construction.

I know the book has a pretty short way of explaining it, but as a total dunce at things like signals and regex it would be nice to get more info and some easy constructions

I know Microphone > Speaker

Also you could probably do a fake jazz rockband thing by hooking a mic up to some teleporter components to use as stageshow effects, because you can set the teleporters to activate every time the mic hears a sound.

Also pressure plates, and buttons are used to activate other things.
Negative. At the moment, it seems unlikely that the mechanics overhaul will be finished anytime soon. Supersonic576 has abandoned his WIP page and I can't force myself to invest ~10+ hours in a topic that doesn't interest me to learn everything from scratch, gather the required information and compile a presentable in-depth guide. Aside from myself, there is for the most part a distinct lack of active contributors. Unless somebody else is willing to help out, I unfortunately don't see it happening.
I stopped contributing cause I don't know any of the new mechanics. aren't mentors supposed to know this stuff