Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The New Goonstation Wiki
not too inject too much serious into things but job pages that say "This job is completely worthless so don't even bother" probably aren't the best for new players trying to figure stuff out
mozi Wrote:not too inject too much serious into things but job pages that say "This job is completely worthless so don't even bother" probably aren't the best for new players trying to figure stuff out
Could you link a few of those
I think I'll clean up the detective's page in a bit because I'm a big fan of that job but botany is right now a million jokes about how nothing matters except growing weed & QM is about how no one will ever order anything. which may be true on a lot of rounds but new players might want to give it an earnest shot instead of just encouraging them to abandon their jobs which is what gives the impression that they're worthless in the first place.
mozi Wrote:botany is right now a million jokes about how nothing matters except growing weed & QM is about how no one will ever order anything.
Good catch, I'm so jaded to those jokes I didn't even notice them, I'll fix those now.
Right now there are two lists of traitor items, the old list (on the page 'Syndicate Items') which is formatted with a cool table but has some outdated info, and a new list (a category on the page 'Items') which someone recently added in plain format but with up to date info. Would the person who added that list mind if I excise it from the general 'Items' page and just make the 'Syndicate Items' page up to date?
mozi Wrote:Right now there are two lists of traitor items, the old list (on the page 'Syndicate Items') which is formatted with a cool table but has some outdated info, and a new list (a category on the page 'Items') which someone recently added in plain format but with up to date info. Would the person who added that list mind if I excise it from the general 'Items' page and just make the 'Syndicate Items' page up to date?
2 things to note here:
1) there's a bunch of redirects that currently go to Items, so be sure to check that via the special pages if you decide to mess with it
2) the Syndicate Items page doesn't have headings so it's not possible to make it snap to a specific item, which is really fucking handy when you're coming from a specific click like Sleepy Pen.

If you can figure out how to handle both of these things I'm 500% for consolidation because I concur it's ridiculously redundant and dumb right now. The problem is that with our nice table layout we can't jump to one of the items.
I figured out how to add anchors to rows, you put the command id="whatever" in the rowstart line. I also tidied up the spacing on the table so it doesn't look so squished & added a column for small images of the items, of which I have none.

I'll go through the process of consolidating & fixing the redirects throughout the day.
all the redirects should work now and I added in items that were missing & excised some outdated info. some of the TC costs for items may still be wrong but enhhhh.
I have to say, I'm quite impressed at how quickly the wiki's been taking shape. It's a pretty good information source, and ironically getting everything wiped out helped us to upgrade or replace a lot of out-of-date stuff. I've been poking around and fixing a few wording things to make the articles a little less misleading/overtly hostile, but eh. I had a big AI guide written up, lost it, but I'm glad to see someone else took up that work and did a fairly good job of it.

The one thing I've noticed that's really still missing is Mining, specifically, things like the mineral requirements for various things in the autolathes (which would be easy to do and I might get to that later) or a guide to the various minerals, what they look like, their uses, etc. If we have any cache files or old guides or whatever this is probably the place for them since I suspect the minerals don't really get revised or changed a lot.
mozi Wrote:all the redirects should work now and I added in items that were missing & excised some outdated info. some of the TC costs for items may still be wrong but enhhhh.
We'll catch it eventually if it's a little wrong, you did brilliant fucking work here. I'm going to look at cloning what you did into other pages for Eng/Med/Sec items and hopefully get rid of the awful Items page completely before too much longer.
HotelBravoLima Wrote:The one thing I've noticed that's really still missing is Mining, specifically, things like the mineral requirements for various things in the autolathes (which would be easy to do and I might get to that later)
We could really use mineral requirements for everything that can be made via autolathe. It would be extremely good information, and could then be integrated into the parent info table. Mining helps most from it, but everything could benefit.

Mineral descriptions themselves are probably irrelevant, but pictures of each ore rock would be very useful, so we could easily add things like 'oh hey this one's radioactive' and 'yeah by the way this shit explodes unless you use a laser drill'.
Wrote a Guide to Changeling over on the wiki, linked it to the Changeling page. Somebody with more experience than me (only one round and a whole lot of deadchat observation frown ) go look it over and make sure I got everything right, didn't forget anything a newbie should know, etc.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:Wrote a Guide to Changeling over on the wiki, linked it to the Changeling page. Somebody with more experience than me (only one round and a whole lot of deadchat observation frown ) go look it over and make sure I got everything right, didn't forget anything a newbie should know, etc.
Checked it, I made a few factual changes but the much larger problem was the readability. Ignoring wiki code things, your Gunning-Fog index was almost 17. The way you had things written, people (presumably) would require 5 years of college to properly understand your writing on the first read.

Now, to be fair, fog indexes don't work that well on wiki pages due to the special formatting. We also have a rough time because we're basically doing technical writing. So really I'd say this was probably 14 or 15. But that is still a college reading level. It's too damn high.

Ideally we want our wiki to be written with a fog index of 8-9 (10-11 tops on automated calcs). This assumes fast/careless reading (~-4 penalty) and a high school diploma (12 max level).

My edits brought the fog index down to 10.5, which is not fantastic but acceptable. You can just use this site to test your shit. I'd like to make sure all the guides have a low fog index so people can just read them, understand them, and move on. I care less about reference pages like Items since people usually don't read a page like that sequentially anyway.
Yeah, I always write like that. I'll have to tune it down a bit in the future, thanks for reminding me. :oops:
90% of the problem is too many commas and not enough periods, it's nothing awful and real easy to fix after it's been brought to your attention.