Totheark - Mentor Application
Usual Character Names - Oh boy. Quite a few. You've most likely seen me around as Memento Mori, Whilbur Whateley, The Gangadiddle, or way back Alex Kralie.
Byond Username - Totheark
Recommended by - I don't know, maybe a few friends. That doesn't count though.
Times Available - Weekdays anything from 4 PM central to around 2 AM. Could fluctuate a bit depending on what's going on in life. Weekends pretty much all the time, from late at night all the way to early in the morning.

Reason for applying: I have a blast playing SS13 and have been playing goonstation more than anything. I feel like I've done a pretty good job following rules so far and haven't acted like a total moron. I'm online for a good amount of time and more than likely would be able to help with problems people have. And I know the game well, so seeing as mentor is about helping with mechanics, jobs, recipes, and other random info I should be able to help out. As far as I know I haven't been a total dick to anyone, so I've got being a nice and encouraging/helpful person on my belt. I've helped people out anyways when asked, and even introduced a few people to SS13 in general and now they play fairly often today.
Game Experience: Time for a huge list of junk. To start off, I can do pretty much any job fairly competently and instruct people trying to learn. The only part of a job I have much trouble with is setting up the engine. My main job has to be scientist in general. I know most of the recipes and combinations both killing and healing, and try to help people out when necessary. I know a good chunk of the secret recipes, if that counts as experience seeing as you're not allowed to share them. I can make basic canister bombs and do artifact research fairly well. Basic loaf science (If that's the term you prefer, I feel like doing "loaf science" should be more considered a mechanic's job than anything) is something I can do, although I don't see why anyone would ask about it. Botany tends to be a job I'll go back to and then play non-stop for a bit, and I know how to do a pretty good amount of that. I'll forever enjoy being Barman or Chef and just having a somewhat calm time creating food or mixing drinks for the captain that wants to drink himself to death. I'll forever enjoy Mechanics and the seemingly endless amount of bullshit you can get yourself into (I specifically remember back to a round with the assistance of a mechanic I turned the Mechanics area into its own independent station). I'm often crazy enough to play as HOP and just sit back and negotiate access instead of run off and become a minor god of the station. I've had some fun times as AI, specifically one in which someone inverted law 1 and 2. But my favorite thing of all times has to be Telescience. Going of and adventuring to bring back weird artifacts is intriguing and almost always enjoyable. I love the whole solarium puzzle with a burning passion, as it just reminds me of a huge Alternate Reality Game. Even my byond username totheark is a reference to one, and so is the name The Gangadiddle. Otherwise, I have nothing more to say in the terms of experience.
Previous Bans - I haven't been banned on any server, in about the 4 months I've been around.
I've seen you in-game and in the IRC lately and yeah, I think you'd fit being a mentor.
Personally, I think people should get the basics of everything down before they become a mentor. My personal suggestion is to learn more about the engine, and get familiar with every job available, and re-apply in a month.
(03-03-2016, 06:25 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: Personally, I think people should get the basics of everything down before they become a mentor. My personal suggestion is to learn more about the engine, and get familiar with every job available, and re-apply in a month.

Teddy I'm just gonna add to this, I know actually nothing about the engine or Genetics, and I've been a mentor for years now. I think it's more about having a helpful attitude than a full knowledge of everything on-station. 

100% entitled to the opinion of course, but just a thought.
(03-03-2016, 06:25 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: Personally, I think people should get the basics of everything down before they become a mentor. My personal suggestion is to learn more about the engine, and get familiar with every job available, and re-apply in a month.

Yeah I've been a mentor/HoS for years now and I know nothing about the engine or genetics. Mentors build off of each other, not all of us can know everything or know something another may know. I can help people get the basics down on when it comes to security, The Rules, The controls and on how to be any of the antags. Mentors are a team not a one man army of knowledge.

Also I vote yes on this Application by the way.
I'm familiar with every job available. The whole engine thing evades me though, I agree I should definitely learn that at one point.
If he has a clean record so far and a visible willingness to help/learn, I don't see why not.

Granted, I have little to no recollection of who you are, so I'm going off on what others have said - it's pretty hard to gauge you since you go under several different names.
My criteria for accepting mentors is basically: Three months experience (or equivalent) and no recent shittery. Active powergamers give me cause for concern due to CoI, but I generally feel everyone deserves a chance.

In my case Totheark passes, provided the claims be true. I've seen Mori on and haven't had any trouble out of em', though nothing sticks out in general. That doesn't matter though, as Mentorship isn't some club for the cool kids or whatever. It's basically offering to work SS13 customer support for free.

Now here's to hoping you don't just get the purple and never answer a single mentorhelp. I hear there's a lot of that.
When I asked the admins, they said I have no notes on me. So I think I'm alright for not being acting insane
I've seen Memento Mori in recent rounds and he's been a good player. I remember him doing a funeral service as chaplain, even!
I've seen you around, so sure why not!
Thanks to Bone Lord I now know how to set up the engine. So I'm not completely inexperienced in that anymore
Just wanted to say I think totheark would be a good mentor. I held off on saying this for awhile since you use so many IC names but I think you are a good player! knows stuff that I and some other mentors may lack in (telesci)