Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation Diaries 2.0
Quick video I made on how to record SS13 with Open Broadcaster Software. Hopefully I covered most things.

As for filesharing, I guess you can upload it to a file sharing service of your choice. It can be mediafire, dropbox, google drive. Whatever, just get the link to me.

If you don't want to record audio just press the little speaker next to the volume mixers to mute.
This is a neat idea! Good luck, folks.
Whenever it's time for this, someone needs to "come get me"

IE grab my attention a day or two before and tell me to fire up my FRAPS and make sure everything works, then, grab me on the day. I'm willing to participate, and, I think I'll have fun, but it's not something that I'm "looking forward" to, to the point that I'll actually remember to do it.

So just grab my attention with a PM or better yet on IRC, and remind me to do this stuff.
Well, I just did a test run using that tutorial, and everything seems to work. Actually, the test round where I late joined as a staff assistant, I rolled a traitor, so I got some interesting footage of that. I do know, however, that people don't really want to see SS13 without commentary or editing, so I won't put it up.
Hey original goonstation diaries idea dude here.

Yeah I got a bit ahead of myself with that last thread, it seems there was a bit needed (i.e: A new laptop so I can actually run a decent recording software, which I have now), but i'm already familiar with editing and stuff, by no means a professional but I can do it.

The idea for the concept was yes, inspired from minecraft videos. Namely, the original PBG minecraft hardcore videos, where perspective changed every odd minute and when someone died, that perspective was removed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si_3MCt0...8F&index=1

So unfortunately no ghost perspective unless something incredibly salty/hilarious is said that is relevant to the video, like if someone from perspective #1 kills someone from perspective #2 and #2 badmouths #1 then yes, include it because it's  funny.

The whole gist of it is already explained very well by zeweka. The format of it is essentially
1. Different recordings taking from different players showing different perspectives.

2. Edited video so it's down to 20-30 minutes. Many people are put off by overly long letsplays and my intention was not for this to be a letsplay, more for it to naturally tell a story.

3. Commentary. The silence of the video would be rather off-putting and reading the text on the side is not intuitive for people who are not familiar with SS13. Also fuck reading. The commentary was originally so that each perspective lends their own side of things, but some people are not comfortable with talking nor do they have recording equipment so that means it evolved into the one commentator.

4. Following on from that idea, the commentator would read it in a script format,
Eg: "Mr. red pelted the clown full of hot rubber, causing the clown to scream and involuntarily somersault into the adjacent airlock. "My bar has standards!," he retorted, before scrunching up a cigarette into a patrons drink"
This would mean whoever is reading who want to have a good reading voice. I actually do, so I will put myself forward for this, but I'll need to get some good PC recording hardware, which I should be able to borrow from a mate who actually works at a recording studio.

5. I originally intended to have an intro and outro. I'm completely open as to what that is, but i'd like to encompass some form of introducing the players. Outro could be the same, but it includes what happened to the player (if they died ingame) and if not where they are now.
"Bravo the clown finally graduated clown school but overdosed from crank on his graduation party and suffered from a massive stroke. Despite this, he has earned great fame by becoming the first quadriplegic space clown"
"Mr red, died by gratuitous blows to the head by a red cylindrical object before being thrown into the empty vacuum of space. Rest in piss.

PM me zewaka if you want some help or ideas or whatever. It might be some time though, i'm going on holidays to india for a month with said recording friend in 2 weeks time.
(02-28-2016, 04:23 AM)Sundance Wrote: but some people are not comfortable with talking nor do they have recording equipment so that means it evolved into the one commentator.

Hello!

In the end though, it seems that the biggest problem by far is just getting everything recorded. When that's done then the task becomes monumentally more likely to actually happen.
Just ran a test.

The longest video I could possibly record is 40 mins long.
AND
if I compressed it (the process of compression would take about 2 hours) it would take me 2 full days to upload.

So no. I won't be taking part. Sorry.
Geez teddy what's your upload speed?
Anyway that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Following it logically, for the actual vid, 40 minutes of your footage is not needed. Given that it would be taken from several perspectives, each footage would have to be around 5-10 minutes each. If it's not possible to upload 40 minute video to whomever, it may be required to edit the video down to the most interesting parts yourself. From there, it'd be communication from the editor (oh can you get me this segment), etc. So yeah not completely ruled out there.

(02-28-2016, 09:02 AM)Mageziya Wrote:
(02-28-2016, 04:23 AM)Sundance Wrote: but some people are not comfortable with talking nor do they have recording equipment so that means it evolved into the one commentator.

Hello!

In the end though, it seems that the biggest problem by far is just getting everything recorded. When that's done then the task becomes monumentally more likely to actually happen.

Clarifaction: When i said recording equipment I meant for sound/commentary, not screengrab/fraps/whathaveyou.

But yeah, you're totally right, organization is key here. This is something that will either happen and snowball, or just plainly not.
Okay I've only received less than 10 responses but I'll go ahead with stuff.

So, it looks like there are two distinct time periods during the week. These being from GMT 18-24 and GMT 4-8. There are some stragglers in the middle from 8-18 as well.

Everyone is open on weekends which is great, and quite a few people mentioned being more open during that time with notice.

Almost nobody cared what map we used, though there was a few who just wanted cogmap2. So I guess we will go with that.

How does March 6th sound? Or maybe next week on March 13th? I have no clue about time though, there are two distinct groups.
(03-02-2016, 11:44 AM)zewaka Wrote: Okay I've only received less than 10 responses but I'll go ahead with stuff.

So, it looks like there are two distinct time periods during the week. These being from GMT 18-24 and GMT 4-8. There are some stragglers in the middle from 8-18 as well.

Everyone is open on weekends which is great, and quite a few people mentioned being more open during that time with notice.

Almost nobody cared what map we used, though there was a few who just wanted cogmap2. So I guess we will go with that.

How does March 6th sound? Or maybe next week on March 13th? I have no clue about time though, there are two distinct groups.

I personally can do either, but would prefer March 13th!
I too am free either day.

I'll mess with OBS tonight to iron out the kinks.
Now, its great we have a couple possible dates, but it isn't perfect until we have times to record so we don't go around capturing every round.

Also, if you want to coordinate slight better, maybe we could have a Goonstation Diaries IRC thing? Obviously not to use to do meta-gaming, but to decide on dates and times for future things.
Well I guess we are doing it on the 13th. The earliest I can be on is at 16:00 GMT so I guess start sometime around then. I'll put it on the calendar as well. Feel free to join #goondiaries on SynIRC if you want to talk and I'm online.
Ah man. This sounds amazing. I'd love to participate, but it may be a little too late to sign in seeing as it occurs in 6 days. Other problems being I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with me, or if they've ever heard of me before. I'd assume you want the faces of the community in on this
(03-07-2016, 08:16 PM)Totheark Wrote: Ah man. This sounds amazing. I'd love to participate, but I'm not all too confident in my commentary (Having a not amazing mic, and just being slightly awkward) and it's a little late seeing as this whole event occurs in 6 days. Other problems being I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with me, or if they've ever heard of me before. I'd assume you want the faces of the community in on this

Nah, feel free to join in! It's open to everyone.