Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets react badly to changelings/vampires
Hey remember in movies and stuff when animals would get spooked by the scary monster disguised as a human? That seems like good flavour for SS13 to me. My suggestion is to alter the pets reactions when a vamp or ling touches them, that way they can only really be used to detect an antag if that antag is stupid enough to touch them.

Some examples.

John Smith pets Jones.
Jones hisses angrily! What's wrong with her?

(Only after having pet Jones once before)
John Smith pets Jones.
Jones scratches John Smith! Ouch! (Very minor brute damage and bleeding)

John Smith pets George.
George whines and shakes! What's got him so spooked?

John Smith pets Heisenbee.
Heisenbee weeps silently. He looks uncomfortable!

John Smith pets Morty.
Morty dies!
This sounds like something that Security would abuse untill someone removes it again, lets not.
(02-21-2016, 07:20 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: This sounds like something that Security would abuse untill someone removes it again, lets not.

No idea how security could abuse it, as it requires the antag to actually touch the pet...? I don't see anything wrong with it and it's totally one of those silly little things that I love about SS13 code.
Maybe have pets sometimes, but much more rarely, react the same way to normal people?
Doesn't Jones already do something similar to this with regards to the captain?

I kinda like it as it's flavorful and it doesn't trump the other methods of antag checking. In this case that would be holy water or bloody scarys.
Instead of reacting badly to ling/vampires, why not have them randomly dislike people (not to the point of attacking them like an aggressive mob)
I'd be okay with it IF you have to introduce george to a beaker of ling blood before he'll react badly to disguised lings.

And add a leash so people can drag george around and go on linghound hunts.

Also the ling just has to space/kidnap george to prevent him from being used as a police dog, and that's just heartless.

Also let george sniff for other items like drugs. Proceed to search botany for all the weed.
I disagree entirely with pets having gameplay effects because it'll lead to people murdering the pets every round and that's just not cool.
Make pets orderable at QM. Or have robots that you can build that sniff out lings/track down people by scent
(02-25-2016, 02:24 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Make pets orderable at QM. Or have robots that you can build that sniff out lings/track down people by scent

The pet dispenser suggestion would be great for this.