Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Respawn Crew (for ghosts and other waiting players)
Nowadays quite a few round end with the observation that all the antagonists are dead, but so are some 10-sh people and that the shuttle needs to be called, not because the station is in trouble, but to allow those dead people to play again.

I always feel this is an enormous waste of the robustness and potential of the Goon stations (especially Cog2).

So how about a way to (periodically) respawn (some of) those dead people as fresh crew?
I think to would be especially useful on the RP server, where the population usually hovers barely above the shuttle-call minimum.

Implementation and minor issues aside, are there reasons to NOT respawn dead players?
I don't like the idea of making death meaningless
This would reduce death's potency into a time-out system.
It would be great for Destiny. Forcing a name change might help remove the confusion of "didn't I just kill you/you were an antag, must be one still" situations.

It would still suck to die, Ed. If you're an antag, there goes your antag round. If you had a cash of goodies, you now have to go through the trouble of finding your body and belongings, not to mention, what if they were all destroyed?

It happens a lot on Destiny where there's a crew of 5 or 6 folks and a few people are off adventuring and die. Now despite the ship being in perfect shape and no antags are causing harm, the decision is made to call the shuttle because the two people left feel bad leaving the three dead people to observe for another 90 minutes.

In short, yes. I'm for respawn on Destiny.
It only sucks to die if you stay dead IMO. Plus it could lead to a lot of missunderstandings if you died as a antag and respawned not a min later. Listen I don't like chillin as a ghost as the next guy but when you die you die. It's kinda the point that you are taken out of the game cause you died. You also have plenty of ways to spend your time. Like watching a antag, chatting with other players, fucking with other players with the ouja board or chairs or you could just do some on the web when waiting that very short hour. People say cloning makes death meaningless but I'd say if this was added this would be 50X worse then cloning

Also forgot to add that I don't really play on the Rp server so I have no opinion on it. But forced name change or no I still feel it would just turn death into a time out session as stated above.
Fair enough. Haha.
Apart from gameplay aspects, I would imagine this would be a headache to admin.
This could also be abused with latejoin antags. I could see someone suiciding and respawning until they get antag.

As far as destiny goes, you normally get cloned or borged if there is even one competent member of the medical staff. Respawning ain't really needed.
I've always thought it would be nice if genetics didn't require getting scanned ahead of time to have a clone made, and instead there was an already full databank of gene samples.

That way, when someone is dead, they can still be cloned even if there wasn't a body around. You could balance it by making it take longer, or giving them a lower gene stability resulting in disabilities.

The databank would of course, be abled to be tampered with. Not only could you delete samples, but also edit them so they come back with specific disabilities, with different names and appearance, nonhuman, or maybe even with some kind of mindslave objectives.
Yeah I don't like that either Frank. As much as I like the cloner I really disagree with makin it any easier or harder to clone someone. As cloning goes for the most part is fine where it is.
The primary complaint seems to be 'fast respawning makes death cheap'.
It needs to be balanced against 'Everybody stop playing, there are too many dead people'.
When I thought of this I figured there should be clear limits on the amount of respawning over time.

For example: there could be a HoP/Captain/Quartermaster option to 'request additional staff from Nanotrasen HQ'. Only 1-7 people would be respawned, and they would need some "time" to arrive at arrivals. If the 'additional staff' option also has some sort of timer on it (say once an hour) then death wouldn't be so cheap; If you die, you might end up idling for an hour (or more depending on luck).

If player activation is not enough of a threshold, here could also be a cash cost attached, so failing stations (due to either shitty players as Head of Staff or just very effective antags) couldn't just keep calling people to try and stretch things out.
What about those old suggestions to allow ghosts to play in the VR?
(01-25-2016, 01:37 PM)Mageziya Wrote: What about those old suggestions to allow ghosts to play in the VR?

I always thought that was a great idea. Dead people would then have alot of time to mess around or practice combat
Just put ghosts in cloners that have no client.
(01-25-2016, 01:37 PM)Mageziya Wrote: What about those old suggestions to allow ghosts to play in the VR?

sprites may be a-comin'