Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are Y'All Readin'
I don't even talk that way irl... I pretty much have my face buried in a book all day so I'm always looking for something to read. Plus, I figure some of you out there must be the same way and wouldn't mind swapping books you've found interesting or fun to read (maybe even some to avoid).

I'd like to say I have a specific area of interest but I read everything I get my hands on. Currently, I'm busying myself with some Lovecraft (somehow I never read any of his work until now) but I've read and loved Steven R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. It's about a leper who is transported to another world where people have a sixth sense and are able to see the vitality in everything. Despair is tangible and an evil force -- who goes by the name Lord Foul -- trying to destroy the land. Worth the read if you've got nothing to do for the next year, as it's a 10 book series and each book is around 500 pages. Haha.

Another favorite of mine is Apathy: and other small victories by Paul Neilan. Hilarious book. I was in tears for most of it. Nice quick read.

Uhmm... let's see... The Last Policeman. I'm on book two of three and so far so good. I'd recommend it. The world is ending and a homicide cop refuses to give up on this "suicide" case despite everything falling apart around him.

And last recommendation, Three Christs of Ypsilanti by Milton Rokeach. True story, written by the doctor (Milton) who headed this project. Three paranoid schizophrenics each having the delusion that he is christ are forced into group therapy together. Funny, sad, interesting. Really moving to see these people's lives as they struggle through they're condition. I took a lot away from this book.

So, that's it for now. I could recommend countless other books but these stuck out from what I've recently read. I'd love to hear suggestions or just to talk about what other's are reading. So, yeah. Cool.

Hope all is well! Stay safe and, if applicable, stay warm!
Pushing Ice, by Alastair Reynolds. Love me some hard scifi and space drama.
I'm between books but have been considering rereading either Rendezvius with Rama or the first five of Zelazny's Amber books.
Started reading the disc world series.

I was on book one and now I'm on book four... of 41 volumes.

I can't stop.
Grifflez Wrote:Started reading the disc world series.

I can't stop.

Discworld is - for the most part - fucking amazing. You'll find that the books sort of settle out into miniature series. The ones focusing on the City Watch and the ones focusing on Rincewind and the Wizards are probably my favorites (Guards! Guards!, Jingo, The Last Continent, Interesting Times, and Night Watch being the favorites of my favorites) and the Witches probably my least (not that they weren't mostly good). I never read the Tiffany Aching books so I can't comment on those. I'd say that the final 'great' book of the series was Night Watch but they remain really good up through Going Postal. After that... well... you could sort of feel the Alzheimer's creep into the writing starting around Thud! and Making Money and I couldn't finish Unseen Academicals. frown

I can't stop.

41 volumes!? Hahaha. Holy crap! I'm looking up this series now.
I've started playing Planescape: Torment, which is pretty much a fucking book, especially if your like me and don't skip any of the text.

(The private sensatorium scene with his past incarnation/wife/ravel sensate orbs is probably one of the best writing i've seen in a very long time, it's testament to a brilliant game that a scene that's just pure text is captivating)
Currently reading Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon. Not much going on plotwise so far, just a lot of detective mumbo jumbo. When I'm done I'll tackle Inherent Vice.
the only series im super into rn is the game of thrones series, a song of ice and fire :V

into the wild is also a good book but short, if you're a fan of nonfiction. it's looking at the life of this kid who just dropped everything and went into the alaskan wilderness and died there, and interviewing all the people he talked to before he passed. it's very interesting, i think!
LinkDaWolf Wrote:the only series im super into rn is the game of thrones series, a song of ice and fire :V

into the wild is also a good book but short, if you're a fan of nonfiction. it's looking at the life of this kid who just dropped everything and went into the alaskan wilderness and died there, and interviewing all the people he talked to before he passed. it's very interesting, i think!

Alexander Supertramp. Yeah, he was a bit of a fool about it, though. Wasn't educated on survival methods at all and ate poisonous mushrooms. The saddest part of his story is the fact he could have survived had he just known what he was doing. /:
atamusvaleo Wrote:

I can't stop.

41 volumes!? Hahaha. Holy crap! I'm looking up this series now.

Novels. NOVELS. Really wish you could edit posts for fuck-ups like that.
Don't My Mom I Work on the Rigs: She Thinks I'm A Piano Player in a Whorehouse. Book by an oil worker with a bunch of crazy stories, mostly about what he and his buddies did in their spare time. Things like the time his pet monkey locked him in the bathroom, or a job in Brunei where a team of commercial divers got drunk while waiting for the weather to clear up, broke into a Mosque, and replaced the tapes (they they didn't recite the koran live, they recorded it on tape and played it every week) with Johnny Cash tapes, or the rig that had its own bar with a trained orangutan serving as the bartender. A lot of laugh out loud funny shit that could probably be worked into the game in some form.
I will find you and hug you if you know what book series my username is from without googling it.
It was my favorite series to read as a kid but apparently I am the only person who knows about it.
Arborinus Wrote:I will find you and hug you if you know what book series my username is from without googling it.
It was my favorite series to read as a kid but apparently I am the only person who knows about it.

Twig? I'm ready for my hug now.

I cheated.
[Image: panzertruppen_2_the_complete_guide_to_th..._sklep.jpg]