Mask2697/Sam Guivenes HoS Application
Usual Character Name: Sam Guivene, S.H.I.L.L., H.O.D.O.R., Gibbs McSplodey (during particularly pessimistic rounds).
BYOND Username: Mask2697

Recommended by (if applicable): EdVenture

Times Available: 5:30 PM onward on most days
12:00 PM – 3:00 PM Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. After 5:30 Mondays and Fridays. Before 1:25 PM Monday.
All Day on Weekends

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): I have been a regular on this server for several years now and I feel its about time I take on this job role, especially seeing as I end up playing security for 2/3rds of my rounds nowadays. In addition, it allows me a whole new series of creative ways to get killed horribly by antagonists and clowns as well as access to equipment that, although has additional potential for harm, also is useful in situations such as nuke ops where normally the crew would be completely screwed during. I feel it’d be nice to have access even just to some of the crowd dispersal grenades in there which are woefully underused as is.
With the fact that I play this game so much as is, and have been on ss13 for roughly 4-5 years now, with 3 solid years at least on goon, I’d say its about time I take some responsibility and get white listed for a role that I end up playing by virtue of using the radio as intended anyway, and with all the time I put into the server, and the fact that I am at or beyond the level of many other mentors knowledge wise, I’d say its time I stepped up and started helping new-bros out. It’d also make up for all the new players I’ve horribly murdered as an antagonist over the years.
I’ve now been sitting on this application roughly three months as I’ve debated whether its worth bothering as I worked with my school time eating into my free time regardless, and decided that it doesn’t matter either way how much time I have as the worst thing I can do is nothing, which the admins might not appreciate going through the effort of mentoring me for but would probably appreciate more than someone who doesn’t ever bother to try give back and just sits there as a non-contributor in the community forever.

Security Experience (300 word minimum): Several Years worth of experience on various servers as security. I know most of space law, and I've already become jaded and heartless to most grey tiders due to the fact that mercy against them has caused my death on multiple occasions. I have fought, beaten, and died to changelings, vampires, traitors, and wizards on a multitude of occasions, I've been pipe bombed, chem bombed, tank bombed, and welder bombed more times than I care to count.
I’ve played as security on LLA, /vg/station, goonstation, and even paradise station, with an almost clean record on all of these stations with all things involving security. As Head of Security on /vg/ and paradise I had never received an admin warning or negative response and on goon as security I have generally been accepted as a good player in these regards. I am also one of the few people who utilize the woefully under appreciated flash-bang grenade.
In addition, due to my screwed up brain, I am one of the few people that somehow manage to pull joy and excitement out of dying within 20 minutes of round start every single round as security. The tedium and the thanklessness of the crew have so far not gotten to me, nor has the fact that your dying screams of who killed you will never be listened too by anyone else as security.
With the new map there is a whole new world of maintenance tunnels to have your corpse hidden in forever, a whole new belt hell to accidentally space yourself in, a whole new medical bay to OD on omega-weed in. Not to mention the new more convenient cloning center, allowing us to have an ever so slightly higher chance of not being permanently killed while genetics gets super powers. The hobo wine also has added a nice gamble to shift start as you toast to a new round with your coworkers and potentially die to ice spiders, GBS, omega slurry, or kuru, all of which are always a fun way to go out.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):
Brig Entrance: Somehow a step down from cogmap 1, lacking event the reinforced screen door that the original desk area had, meaning any group of two people can break into this area with ease, and from there have free reign to all the security checkpoint chutes. This allows a large potential for locker theft and general criminal activity. It also means anyone who escapes to this point can get away almost for good here.

Security Office: A step up from cogmap 1, it now lacks the window weaknesses that the original security area had. It can still be broken into with either insulated gloves, a spacesuit, a full toolset, and time, but it takes significantly more effort than it did before. Once again the easiest break in point is the front door. Which is a mixed boon.

Isolation Cells: Both more secure and more unethical than before, they work for what they do, but they sure as hell will ruin someones round if they are put into it.
Pod bay: Entering through here now requires twice the effort it would before, and is more easily accessible to general security, which is a step up from what it was originally, this area does not see much use however now it is far too inconvenient to bother breaking in from anyway.

General Population:
The two big weak points continue to be the visiting area and the bathrooms, the latter of which will be elaborated on on its own. This area now looks a bit cooler and has a few touches to improve quality of life. Big complaints include the fact that the APC for this area is located inside of the prisoner holding cell, and can likely be unlocked ahead of time or blown up to render this area unusable. In addition visiting can be, relatively messily, broken through and, with two dedicated individuals held here, used as a break out point. The fire alarm can also be used to annoy the AI into making security do something about prisoners now. However, it now comes with a disposal pipe that allows you to gamble your life over your freedom in launching you either into the gibber or into the plating blocking the gibber, depending on if the janitor has done his job or if other people are doing treasonous or incompetent activities.

Bathrooms: Are the traditional weak point in security, where one could build a fake wall in the off chance they get arrested. Now it opens up into the cargo area, which allows you to potentially escape, or break in, via belt hell, this would require careful navigating on the part of someone breaking in, or else you’d end up in space, the grinder, or some other horrific fate. To the escaping prisoner, this is a bit easier, but also a toss up, as if you fuck up you’ll find yourself spaced or gibbed.

Armory: Actually quite secure now, it would be a significantly bigger pain in the ass to break into before, although unfortunately its easier for wizards to raid than it was before, which was still pretty easy anyway.

Of course, all this is made irrelevant with the fact that any traitor with an emag, thermite, or a toolset and dedication can effectively ruin everything in security, as well as that in my experience, at least 80% of people will elect to commit some sort of elaborate suicide or go brain dead immediately before or after you brig them.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
1 Ban in June 2014, reason unlisted (I think it was for shitting up mentor help)
Weekbanned/head banned on /vg/station mid 2015: I carded a harm alarm AI for repeatedly locking down its own upload to prevent us from modifying its laws with proper access as it tried to stop a rage cage and made the station a wonderful place of peace, love, and bubble wrap (read chucky cheese grade hell). Was given a corporate lawset, told not to do this shit ever again, and when some asshole gave it Asimov again it did go to redo everything, at which point I put it down for being a shit AI and causing us to have to cause massive property damage to end its crusade. The admins disagreed because it was in character at the time. When discussed with goon admins it was agreed this behavior would have been an acceptable response on this server node.
In addition, I received a ban on LLA back in mid 2012 for beating someone into crit with a wizard staff during a QuarterWizard gimmick gone bad.

Job banned back in 2011 (beginning of my SS13 carrier) for panicking during a shuttle ride and harm batoning an arrested traitor to prevent there escape from occurring. Was removed two weeks later for good behavior and understanding the rules.
Totally.
Oh yeah absolutely, top player.
Yes :radcat:
100% yes
I've seen you play security a lot, and you are so much better than me in handling the department. Even with the simple handling of minor crimes. Your AI skills are also top-notch. Definite yes!
Also, hat or beret?
Sure buddy. You are usually pretty cool in game.
zewaka Wrote:I've seen you play security a lot, and you are so much better than me in handling the department. Even with the simple handling of minor crimes. Your AI skills are also top-notch. Definite yes!
Also, hat or beret?

Is that a joke, Beret of course!
Sure, this dude is a cool guy.
Sam Guivene Wrote:Is that a joke, Beret of course!

BZZZT WRONG
hat lyfe
I am sure you will wear the hat/beret with honor Sam.

May your handcuffs fasten well and your taser never run out of charge smile.
yeah i'd beret him
After thinkin a bit i remember secman Sam Guivene as being one of the officers hesitant to just straight up murder perps, so he's got my vote! A true professional.
definitely

great AI player, great secman, all around great person to play with
Yes. I recall this person being not terrible sec.