Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damaged Section
So, with the new map going up, I have an idea for thing that could be added. With the way things are now, it's very difficult for anybody to hide unless they fuck off into space. So, I suggest that a large section of station that is connected to the main station be added.

It would basically be a big area of the station which sustained damage from meteors or bombs or something and no longer really functions. Its main connection to the rest of the station is a bridge which has been smashed and depressurized, but it has a number of connections to maintenance tunnels that have been poorly sealed off by airlocks that are bolted or welded shut, so you can't accidentally wander in but if you actually want to go there it shouldn't be very hard. It has no functioning cameras and doesn't get any power from the main station. Basically, it should have some useful things but shouldn't have anything that you can't find on the main station, or anything that would really entice you to go there unless you're trying to get away from something.

It would be a place for traitors and criminals and changelings to flee to and lurk in, where they can hide and scavenge for a few things without having to actually fuck off into space. And if, say, a traitor subverts the AI and unleashes a squad of angry killborgs, it'd be a place for regular crewmen to run and hide in if they get desperate. Really, what I'm thinking with this idea is that the station tends to be fairly populated and brightly lit, so unless you've solved those problems with excessive amounts of violence there's a severe shortage of places where bad guys can actually lurk. Seriously go about the business of hanging around in the dark, waiting for victims or planning their next attack without having to sit in a maintenance tunnel that any Sec officer with Thermals could walk by at any minute and that has full AI camera coverage. The only real place you can do it is in space, and that's not always feasible. Vampires, for example, are well known for their lurking ability and yet are incapable of doing so here.

I think the station could really benefit from having a busted up derelict loosely attached to it.
I recall Aphons mars station had something like that, at least a small little creepy area with a dead skeleton and it was nice and hidden from the rest of the station.

I think a discarded part of the station that while somewhat livable maybe, is a little more dangerous and in disarray would be cool. Almost like centcom had a full station but couldn't be bothered to repair the whole thing.
the new station has a few areas that don't have AI cameras and would be good places to hide/commit murder!
Real traitors don't hide, they face the whole station face-on using only their fists, their razor-sharp wits, and their elite robust skills.
I think you could do a lot of fun gimmicks in a damaged, uncharted part of the station, e.g underground fightclub, drug deals, etc.
Well, from what I've just seen Cogmap is better about having places like this than shroom was. My suggestion is for having a very large single area that's been busted up, whereas the Cogmap areas are disconnected and not that big, but they're still pretty good.
There is a smashed up area behind the brig and another one where pathology will eventually go
Cogwerks Wrote:There is a smashed up area behind the brig and another one where pathology will eventually go
I noticed those, yeah. They're nice. Pathology doesn't really count since it's getting made into an actual thing but the area behind the brig and that one weird little room with the video card in it are nice, and you can always go lurk in the conveyor system.

What's up with the Observatory? Is that always going to be a busted, non-functional thing or are you planning on doing something with that?
Dauntasa Wrote:What's up with the Observatory? Is that always going to be a busted, non-functional thing or are you planning on doing something with that?

Yeah I think it will be an actual observatory once we fix up Pathology and whatever major project comes afterwards. I mean I think that is whats going on
If the observator works the way I think it's going to then it's going to be really useful in combination with Telescience.
Find area, get co-ordinates for area, go to area.
Fun stuff.
Readster Wrote:If the observator works the way I think it's going to then it's going to be really useful in combination with Telescience.
Find area, get co-ordinates for area, go to area.
Fun stuff.

that is the plan
Add in blast doors that can be turned on and off from inside the observatory, we need that place so we might as well keep it safe. This could also be used to give the vampire a dose of space light should he get inside.
bladex454 Wrote:Add in blast doors that can be turned on and off from inside the observatory, we need that place so we might as well keep it safe. This could also be used to give the vampire a dose of space light should he get inside.
Vampires don't get burned unless they are directly on space tiles, and it isn't so important as to need blast doors.
Actually, I think that you could easily basically accomplish this if you took the cameras out of the Cargo Routing area. It would make it an amazing place for traitors and changelings to go, since it's isolated and items frequently(well, considering the laziness of most QMs, occasionally) pass through.

Plus I think it'd be funny for a changeling to hide in there and eat anybody who tried to ride the conveyors and then send the husk on to its original destination and make people freak out.
Dauntasa Wrote:Actually, I think that you could easily basically accomplish this if you took the cameras out of the Cargo Routing area. It would make it an amazing place for traitors and changelings to go, since it's isolated and items frequently(well, considering the laziness of most QMs, occasionally) pass through.

Plus I think it'd be funny for a changeling to hide in there and eat anybody who tried to ride the conveyors and then send the husk on to its original destination and make people freak out.

Cut the camera with wiresnips, dang. A camera is kinda needed in there so the AI can see if the belts are running and blocked up. I'll recheck though and make sure that the camera in there is in an easy place to cut.