Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More interesting synthlimbs
Right now there's little reason for growing synthlimbs, as the roboticist generally has enough metal to manufacture any blown-off limbs for anyone who needs them. Plus the benefits of cyberorgans usually have a couple of adventurous people eager to upgrade themselves, while synthorgans are just sort of there. Of course, there's no real reason for botany to grow anything, let alone exist, but nevertheless.

Suggestion: have synthlimbs/organs scale in function according to potency, and have mutant synthlimbs/organs have different effects similar to their cybernetic equivalents. A high-potency syntharm could hit as hard as a space bear arm for instance, while a mutant syntheye could turn out to be a medical sensor eye when implanted, for instance.

It's late and I'm just tossing this idea out, might flesh it out later.
I agree they could use a change. I like using potency, but I'm not sure how that would be balanced or used. Two ideas I can think of is allowing them to be attached without staples and/or having them regrow after a while when lost.

Having synthbutts produce farts that smell like roses would obviously be a choice too.
No surgery required attachment sounds nice.
Maybe if you do some splicing you can have the limbs add a small amount of whatever's been spliced in.
e.g. a weed-synthlimb would produce a bit of THC in your bloodstream.
Grizzwold Wrote:Maybe if you do some splicing you can have the limbs add a small amount of whatever's been spliced in.
In-before traitorous prion limbs emerge to replace the long dead prion shovels.

Wait, that actually sounds amazing, and also just difficult enough to never occur, ever.
Mageziya Wrote:
Grizzwold Wrote:Maybe if you do some splicing you can have the limbs add a small amount of whatever's been spliced in.
In-before traitorous prion limbs emerge to replace the long dead prion shovels.

Wait, that actually sounds amazing, and also just difficult enough to never occur, ever.

I know that it's not how prions work, but I really want to call this scenario synth cancer.
Dude I didn't even know there WERE synth limbs since no one ever uses them or asks for them. Robot arms are generally cooler and quicker to make I assume since I never seen them.
It's not especially hard to grow a huge number of them, but very few people get their arms blown off and go to botany for a replacement.
Another option is to make them a sort of cash crop. They certainly sound like proper exports. It's just that botanists themselves would probably never see the money. That's the main problem I have with QM, actually. There's little to no reason to create exports when QMs are the only one's to benefit. Not sure how it is now, but mining could ship their own stuff before - which I liked. Botany is just better off growing things for the chef or creating that exploding triple citrus fruit with a hint of plasma.
idea: insert synthbrain into the skull of someone who got gibbed and then be able to use that to resurrect someone via transplanting skull & strange reagent
also for hearts, you should be able to inject chems and have a steady flow of those injected into your bloodstream and then go get a refill when its all empty
Would be neat if synthlimbs caused a person to heal all types of damage and maybe even emit slight amounts of oxygen for every synthlimb
Mean to add the qualifier to the last suggestion... heal while in light. Basically synthlimbs make you generate oxygen and heal slightly while in the light.
vampirate Wrote:Mean to add the qualifier to the last suggestion... heal while in light. Basically synthlimbs make you generate oxygen and heal slightly while in the light.

I like this idea. I like this idea even more when imagining stacking synthlimb-having people in rooms that are on fire to fuel the fire. Make sure it's only a slight amount of healing, and only for brute damage, though. Probably stackable, though, with the full synth replacement package.
I like the idea of synthlimbs producing oxygen in the atmosphere from carbon dioxide, as well as offering passive healing. However I think synthlimbs should be susceptible to burn damage as well; catching on fire could actually produce a risk that your synthlimbs burn away!
Cameron Higgs Wrote:I like the idea of synthlimbs producing oxygen in the atmosphere from carbon dioxide, as well as offering passive healing. However I think synthlimbs should be susceptible to burn damage as well; catching on fire could actually produce a risk that your synthlimbs burn away!

I know little of coding, but I can imagine making a limb/object connected to a mob producing atmos might be a bit difficult/or not worth the effort overall.
It also doesn't make much sense your arm healing all types of damage. Like if you got shot in the face.

That said I am totally for the idea of synth arm having pro's (and cons) over plain arms. There needs to be more incentive for botanists growing them.

Baring all the posts in mind I think the best option would be:

+Can attach without the need of surgery. Just aim for whatever limb and hit the person.
+Regenerates under light. No light no regeneration. Will regenerate after 10 minutes under spacelight, 5 minutes under station light and 1 minute under UV light.
-Will fall off if you've accumulated enough burn damage. Will not regenerate until burn damage is rectified.
-Will also fall off if you've been have Atrazine in your system. Will not regenerate until Atrazine is removed from system.
~Synth butts work the same.
~Synth hearts work slightly differently, will regenerate if heart is removed and not replaced (but likely to die before then). Higher chance of cardiac failure when burnt, higher chance of cardiac arrest if Atrazine is in system
~Synth brains work similar to heart but will not regenerate if removed (how the hell). Higher chance of brain damage if burnt/atrazine in system, but has some natural resistance to brain damage overall.