Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrap Tools/Weapon/Armor Thread
Somebody already suggested this, but that thread got horribly off track.

So I'm thinking if this is ever a thing, there's a few ways a metal armor hastenly made by assistants and engineers could be balenced.

Require an insane amount of metal sheets to make for some reason, and make it only effective against brute damage, and maybe toxin damage if you are wearing a gas mask. Perhaps it should make burn damage worse as a counterpoint, which gives people a reason to use lasers and flamethrowers on one.

It should also be bulky and slow.

That shouldn't stop people from wasting large amounts of metal on ironman boxing.

in short, please make iron man boxing a thing by adding metal plate armor.
If you get a knock out hit on the face the other guys headpiece should forcibly raise up and insta-kill him. Kinda like that one game with the punching robots
The way our amazing combat system works, people are either iron man who can take huge amounts of attacks without wavering, or they get knocked out by the flimsiest punch. So I am really hesitant to add things like this when it could just end up being a glorified trash can which people ignore
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:The way our amazing combat system works, people are either iron man who can take huge amounts of attacks without wavering, or they get knocked out by the flimsiest punch. So I am really hesitant to add things like this when it could just end up being a glorified trash can which people ignore

i would honestly rather see some kind of groin cup added than flimsy makeshift chest armor. groin punches secretly stun and wind like crazy. also like frontline said, what good would this do when someone can smash your nerd jaw like it was made of glass and then torture you for upwards of 20 seconds?
Nobody ever aims for the body in a fistfight unless they forgot to change intents, there's no advantages. The only places worth aiming for are uncoincidentally the two most vulnerable areas of the human body, which is actually a shame. I'd like it if punching someone's arm had a chance to render that hand useless for a while, kicking their shins could make them move slower for a bit, or going for the eyes had a chance to cloud their vision temporarily (but not blind them because I think it used to be possible to do that and every time you walked past somebody they could just randomly blind you, holy shit).

Back on topic, the armor might be useful for vigilantes during Nuke rounds, except the Syndies aren't going to be relying on their revolvers when they've probably robbed Riot Storage already. This is a cool idea, there's just no situations where it would ever come in handy.
Someone told me once that the standard body armor offers protection to both the body and groin, so a metal plate equivalent could do that..

Also, soup bowls as equippable improvised helmets
mozi Wrote:Someone told me once that the standard body armor offers protection to both the body and groin, so a metal plate equivalent could do that..

But like significantly worse
Klayboxx Wrote:
mozi Wrote:Someone told me once that the standard body armor offers protection to both the body and groin, so a metal plate equivalent could do that..

But like significantly worse

yeah of course. I feel like there's two levels of 'improvised armor' you could do--
the simplest could would be really easy or made of common materials but useless for anything except hand to hand combat, basically just giving you a little extra chance to avoid those awful one-hit KOs/stuns/whatever
more complex assemblies that require materials and tools that while not especially effective against some lunatic with a lasergun/revolver will give you a few extra seconds of life to run away
hate to get off topic, but I had an idea in mind for making scrap weapons that involved engineering/QM and electrician support. sorta like a joke taser gun.
bladex454 Wrote:hate to get off topic, but I had an idea in mind for making scrap weapons that involved engineering/QM and electrician support. sorta like a joke taser gun.
How about you post your own thread for this idea instead of apologizing in this one?

On the topic of plate armor, I think the possibility of wearing an entire set (head to toe) would be really cool, even if it weren't all that useful
Armor made of actual plates, getting shot or hit will make it explode into shards.
This is a good and cool idea.

I just want to be able to walk around in an Iron Man Mark1-esque suit. Talk about something you don't want to see as a traitor in a maintenance corridor.
I always wanted scrapped weapons to be added to SS13 so traitors, scientists and clowns get all the robust equipment. So I was thinking with he,p of the QM and an electrician you could forge your weapons. Some examples/ideas for these would be...

Scrap Taser,
You had managed to find so metal electric cables a welder and the increasingly handy wrench. So you using the metal you make some parts. A fire arm base, action and trigger. Once your done with this step wrench the parts together and add a wire cable to it. Now your ready to go however there is a chance....a very large chance, that when using these without gloves could zap and stun you with a message like.
Sir Pubby feels a bolt of electricity go up there arm!
These things have standard 4 shots and can be recharged normally, or you could add an electron charge pack to this and connect it with a wire for 10 shots.

Bullet Moulds,
So your the detective and you wasted your ammo on some assistant who pushed you down and farted on you. Now you could take a metal plate and some char (because lead does not exist in this beautiful game) use a welder on them and make a mold. Take more char and metal and place them on the mould and make scrappy, but working ammunition.

Fragmentation Bomb,
With a beaker glass shards and ( I don't know how) twisted metal you place them in the beaker. Add a timer lighter assembly and a wire leading back to where you want set it off from. Maybe a tripwire because your nice. Than you get to watch as people in the hallway suffer large amounts of toxins bleeding and burn damage. To take these shards out head to a nearby Roboticist.

Barbed Wire,
Metal, wires ,gloves. simple enough to make could have an obvious sprite and causes brute damage when walked upon wire cutters break these so put them in an area away from a place where these could be acquired. Place in the escape arm for maximum effect.

Plated Vest,
I thought of this as a slightly weaker body armor meant as a sort of flak jacket. When people go around placing there frag bombs around you're going to want armor. However deep down you know your not getting security grade materials easily so you make these. A emergency suit cut into it with wirecutters add a metal plate and there you go, possibly add more damage resistance against shrapnel.

So these are my ideas be free to build off them or post your own ideas, personally I wish to see bullet moulds as the detective is a fool most of the time.
All this leads upto really is that I am competent and worked on something so I get rewarded by less fear of traitors and get to feel proud of my equipment. To simplify it all please continue
Edit.
For the fragmentation bomb it should be fill the aforementioned shrapnel in a emptied extinguisher. Then attach a tank transfer valve and fill it with a gas of your choice.
Air,
Minimal hull damage shrapnel is the real damage here. Good for traitor traps,

O2,
More hull damage but less then N20 maybe destroy one tile and have shrapnel damage reduced.Like trick cigarettes but more deadly.

N20,
3x3 bomb with small amount of shrapnel damage.

Plasma,
Superheated shrapnel shards penetrate mostly anything causes a small 1 tile plasma fire, good for taking out armored tartgets