Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-Implement Modular Phasers
So some of you may not recall, but phasers used to work entirely differently, with the ability to set the power outputs and attach modules that changed the damage type or modified the damage/power output in various ways, like changing it to rad damage or making it do extra damage to borgs.
For a while their remnants were on Cog1, but something weird caused them only to function properly on the Centcom Z-level, however they were ultimately phased out to make room for new phasers which look neat but lack the modular functionality or the ability to modify power output.

I propose we bring back modules for phasers, along with the power modifying ability, though slightly different.
Modular phasers, even in their non-functional condition on Cog1 were interesting, and it'd be interesting for scavengers, or sec, to have access to weak but versatile weapons that could be made conditionally more effective with some know-how.
Power modifying would also be neat, however it should change from how it originally worked. It should instead be based on increments of 15 power with a cell capacity of 100, just like a tazer. However, by changing how much power it uses, on a range based on multiples of 15, the damage would be modified, locked at 45-60 per shot to avoid the condition of "artifact cell, 450 energy per shot, RIP".

To address the issue of (sort of) buffing a weapon intended for scavengers/civilians, in the past the modular phasers were not abused by vigilantes in particular according to people I questioned, and if that's the concern it should be noted that you can very easily mass produce lasers in 10 minutes or so with very little know-how and just a space pod.
I was working on rebuilding modular phasers awhile ago and got hella distracted. Still a WIP that'll eventually come along.