Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return of the Rise of the Revenge of Pathology: Reloaded
The semi-new pathology computer is great, but pathology remains woefully underused for nefarious (and legitimate, for that matter) purposes. Here's a few suggestions to make the life of a (traitor) pathologist easier.

[*] Add an optional pathology module for health scanners. Currently there's just one for reagents, which means there's not a lot of point to the separation other than a bit of hassle. The pathology module would give you more detailed information about diseases, e.g. what stage it is at (out of how many), the name of the strain, etc.

[*] Allow Medical Doctor traitors to order Totally Unsafe pathology samples that always includes at least one high tier symptom (4 or 5). Basically the pathology equivalent of poison bottles. This not only speeds things up but also makes pathology traitoring much more reliable, as currently you're at the mercy of round start RNG with samples and symptom codes.

[*] Restrict pathology access to Medical Doctors and higher only. That means no Geneticists or Roboticists. Currently Geneticists and Roboticists pretty much have all access Medical Doctors have non-traitor wise, making Med Docs effectively the Staff Assistants of Medbay. Pathology (and possibly surgery too) should be barred to non-Med Docs for differentiation and a bit more privacy for would-be traitors.

[*] Splicing should be infallible if you do it properly. I'm fine with samples mutating after a splice but they should never be lost if done properly, you already lose it if you fuck up; you shouldn't lose it if you don't. It's not like manipulation where it's impossible to fuck up so a random chance to fail is a reasonable risk. Nothing's more annoying that splicing your magnum opus that one final time just to have it go poof for no reason.

[*] Not really a QOL change but more beneficial symptoms! As it is there's like two symptoms that are undeniably beneficial (with a few neutral and potentially beneficial ones), which gives non-traitors almost no reason at all to do pathology apart from experimenting in preparation for future traitor rounds.

[*] Wearing what's in the biohazard closets should actually protect you from infection. As far as I can tell you not only need a full biosuit but also internals with a gas mask, and the closets lack gas masks (normal internal masks don't seem to work). In fact I'm not even sure if there's a way to guarantee protection against infection (since I usually test things by infecting myself: you don't really get a lot of information by simply infecting monkeys).

[*] Again not a QOL change but a bug fix. There's currently zero reason to grow pathogens in petri dishes because you can simply put a vial of 0.1 units of pathogen in the manipulator and eject it to magically turn it into 2 units. Actually I rather like this because pathology is already rather slow, being able to skip pathogen growing speeds things up considerably; but it's obviously not intended.
Remind me to preview my posts before submitting them in this editless forum.
The poison bottle equivalent of pathogen samples for traitors sounds great. Another great thing would be to have two manipulators, doing pathology now is limited to one guy basically.
If the pathogen units thing is fixed, then there should be some easy way to accelerate the growth of a sample at some kind of cost. Maybe funnelling growth medium into the machine or something.
I spend most of my time in the pathology lab and think it would be great to see it get a bit more love. Some of what I'm going to propose has already been said in the thread but I figure saying it again can't hurt!

GUI:
The new GUI has taken some getting used to but is pretty good overall (and is certainly prettier). That said the 'predicted effectiveness' thing is beyond broken and should probably not even be there. It is also odd how the expose and close buttons are in different parts of the menu but I'll address the whole expose and close thing in QoL.

QoL:
Incubator - This is a new machine that would continuously grow one sample of pathogen. If you want to grow other samples you'd either need to swap them out or do it the old fashioned way.

Pathogen Scanner Upgrade - When added to the health analyzer this would offer up more information on the pathogens infecting someone.

Traitor Pathogen Bottles - High TC Cost and offers up a couple high end symptoms. Essentially a poison bottle but much more expensive due to the ability to make it transmittable with a little extra effort. This will help traitors get a deadly disease out early enough to be more relevant. (I can expand more on why this is a thing if need be.)

An additional manipulator would be amazing for those days when we have multiple pathologists.

You should also never, ever lose your pathogen when you've constructed your symptoms correctly. (Though, to be fair, I haven't seen this happen to me in a while so maybe it has already been fixed?)

Pathogen Additions and Changes:
There needs to be a way to make some symptoms fire more often - either through higher tier versions of themselves or by the partial return of symptom stacking (something with diminishing returns to keep it sane). I'm more fond of the stacking option but having higher tiers of, say, gasping would also be alright.

Also I don't know if it is by design or if my luck is really that far past the bell curve but there seems to be a chance that certain symptoms just won't trigger. There have been many times I've been twirling my proverbial mustache over an awesome bug I've made and then find out that the symptom - despite being in the pathogen - just won't fire. Sometimes not on anyone, sometimes only on part of the population. I had the arcing symptom recently and it was only batting about 50-50... two monkeys were launching bolts of lighting. The other monkey and myself never so much as had our hair stand on end.

I've rarely seen a pathogen mutate much on its own. Giving mutativeness and mutation speed a buff might be a really good thing.

Symptom Suggestions:
Vomiting (T2, T4) - I'm shocked that vomiting isn't a symptom as it is a classic disease symptom. Can transmit disease. The T4 version would, of course, be green vomit instead.

Bleeding (T3) - Could be from a variety of sources. Possible more gruesome higher tier versions. Definitely causes transmission.

Gasping (T2-5) - If (partial) stacking isn't to return we really should have debilitating and deadly versions of gasping. Also applies to other low tier symptoms with the idea to make them more powerful, more frequent, or both.

Sweating (T3) - Already a symptom but perhaps the T3 version makes it so that you sweat so much you leave wet floors behind.

Acidic Sweat (T3, T5) - Things you touch receive damage as if they had acid poured on them. Higher tiers would act as more/stronger acid.

Oil Sweat (T4) - Sweat pools of oil. Oil robots upon touch.

Heart Disease/Cardiac Arrest (T5) - Another late game death symptom but a bit more stealthy.

Radiation Removal (T2, T4) - This pathogen soaks up radiation in your body. The T2 version does a decent job while the T4 version is very aggressive about removing it. Sorta the anti-polonium.

Resurrection (T5) - Upon death your body begins to rebuild itself eventually leading to your resurrection. After being revived the pathogen burns out and you become immune (essentially making it a one time use).

Blindness (T4) - Slowly makes you more and more blind.

Deafness (T4) - Slowly makes you more and more deaf.

Burn Healing (T4, T5) - Just upgraded versions of the T3 trait.

Brute Healing (T4, T5) - Just upgraded versions of the T3 trait.

Regeneration (T4) - Eventually regrows limbs. Also slowly recreates your face after having had it burnt off with acid.

Wound Stitching (T4, T5) - The T4 version closes up all wounds quickly. The T5 version not only closes up wounds but also destroys foreign material in the body (bullets, implants, ect).

Zombification (T6???) - I'm thinking of this as a random mutation only thing, if the system could handle it.
Oh, right. I forgot the expose/close thing.

QoL wise it would be nice if the machine automatically 'closed' while splicing or manipulating. It might be more 'RP-ish' to close and open the various slots but it eventually just gets annoying.
The Incubator sounds great, especially once they fix the pathogen manipulator bug.

Personally I think traitor pathology samples shouldn't be too expensive and contain just one high tier symptom. This lets you customise your traitor play more and lessens the effect of RNG.

I've still had perfectly spliced pathogens disappear on me for no reason recently so it's still a thing. THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN.

And I agree with allowing us to tweak how often a symptom fires. I too find that sometimes certain symptoms just won't fire at all, although I think that might be due to staging (higher tier symptoms requiring higher staging). That's where a pathology health scanner would really come in handy to tell what's going on.

Love all of your new symptom suggestions. Perhaps Zombification could be a potential result of Resurrection? Especially love all the beneficial symptoms, we really really need a lot more of those. Bleeding could be via vomiting blood, coughing blood (although I guess gameplay-wise they'd be pretty similar), peeing blood, post-rectal bleeding... the possibilities!
I really only have 3 suggestions- *Important note- When i say virus i really mean pathogen*

-An upgrade of some sort that you can find or buy that TELLS YOU what each sympton in the virus is and what it's number/desination is. The microscope is good for early game but isn't that effective if you want to build an more specialized virus

-Random virus outbreaks- with the chance of the outbreak increasing when the station is covered in blood,vomit and rotting bodies. This will not only help train people for the Human made out-breaks but also give virology and bloody use other then Killing everyone in the aveage round

Virus crate- This contains 5 random items that will help

Possible items-Safe starting viruses (Common)
Those upgrade modules for viro machines -current and possible future ones-(Common)
A 5 beakers containing common cure chemicals (Common)*Counts as one item*
An virus that contains only one symptom tier 1-3 and is labled what it is (Less common)
An virus with a bunch of random symptoms tiers 1-4 (rare)
An weird chemical can be used with ANY virus to make an cure(Rare)
An Virus that contains one symptom symptom tier 4-6 (Stupidly rare..Like an .05%)