Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Destiny & RP on Goonstation
You may have heard of (or played on) Destiny, and/or our plans to convert one of our servers to an RP-based one. This is the thread about those things!

[Image: 2lmZVef.gif]
Minimap by quiltyquilty, click it to go to the Goonhub map of Destiny!

Destiny?
Originally made by bradleylauchlin (reddit thread on the map is here), and hosted by WrongEnd for us (on Exogenesis code) here and there, I've since remade it on gooncode.
It was originally from Stargate Universe, a thing I have never seen, and other than the basic shape, probably doesn't look much like its source. I've been working on the map since this summer, off-and-on, and it's now basically complete and playable, outside a couple minor things. (One day I will finish the MULE beacons but it is probably not today)
It's strange, and extremely cramped. Much of the movable areas in the map are 1-tile-wide. Maint is nearly non-existent. Things are placed based mostly where they can fit. The later part of its development was spent repeating the phrase, "Oh fuck I forgot about X, oh god there's no room where the fuck am I gunna put it," and weeping quietly. It's clearly not without its problems, but I feel I've made it as well as I could, with a lot of help from the people who tested the map. People even say they've had fun playing on it! Shocking.
It features custom wall and door sprites made by Gannets! They work basically the same as the current walls and doors, though some adjustments are still needed to the code for reinforced walls, to make them a bit more resistant to chemicals.

What About Cogmap 2?
Destiny won't be interfering with Cog2 - that'll still be the map on our regular servers (though I would like to have one server running Cog1, but we'll see how that goes.)

Goonstation RP!?
We've been wanting to try running an RP server for a while now, but never really gotten around to it. The only thing really in the way of it being available right now is that we need to write down the RP-specific rules, and change one of the servers over to use them. We've been asked what level of RP it is we'll be going for, medium or high, but we're just going to try to find a ruleset our admins and players will like, and worry about what level it's referred to as later.
Our current plan:
  • Players will be expected to try and do their jobs, (keyword being try, as we know sometimes things go awry in the process of doing one's job.) This won't be so strict that, if a botanist wanders out of hydroponics, they'll get in trouble for being out-of-character, or anything like that. Just that you should be trying to play a character to some degree, and trying to stick to doing what you were presumably on the ship to do (job changes notwithstanding.)
  • Antag roles will still be enabled. We'll try all of them at first, and see if some need to be turned off as we go. Wizard is a concern, for instance.
  • Antags will no longer have free reign to just silently rampage around, killing everyone. While you won't be required to do your objectives, you should try to have a plan for something that will be fun for you and your victims. At the very least, interaction between antags and non-antags should be more than a c-saber being applied to the face repeatedly.
  • Chain-of-command and security will be more important. The head of your department is your boss and they can fire you, security officers can arrest you for stealing or breaking into places. The preference would be that unless they're doing something unreasonable, such as spacing you for writing on the walls, you shouldn't freak out over being punished for doing something that would, in reality, get you fired or arrested.
  • In the end, we want people to get into character and just try to have fun pretending to be a farty spaceman on a weird ship. This won't be "no silliness allowed" or anything, you don't have to have a believable irl person as a character. Just try to play along with things and have fun interacting and talking to the people around you, create some drama, instead of trying to figure out how to most efficiently win the round, or whatever. If someone is clearly an antag, threatening the ship with a bomb, play along with them instead of trying to immediately beat their face in. Things like that.
These things are all subject to change, and written out a bit hastily, but I think this gives the general idea of what we're looking to do. Our normal rules still apply: once finalized, the RP rules will be on top of our standard ones.

But I Don't Like RP!
That's fine! It's only one of our servers that will be changed to the RP rules. If you don't play on that one server, you don't have to RP, as it is now.
However - bans from the RP server will apply to all our servers, RP or not. Same goes for bans from our non-RP servers: if you're banned from one, you're banned from all.

There's still some work to do before this all goes live, but it should be happening sometime soon. Actually soon, within a month or so, not "soon relative to the end of the universe" soon. Until then, thoughts and discussion are welcome in here, and in the IRC channel for Destiny, #destiny on irc.synirc.net.
Is it a "moving" ship, or is space static?

Also, (and I know this isn't really up to you or anything, just an observation as a whole) but is going to be another server on top of empty servers? I feel like we could remove alot of bloat by just having 3 servers: Extended for people who want to do prolonged testing, Normal and RP/Destiny map. That means scrapping 2 servers: #1 and #3 (plain and construction, the latter unfortunately has died)

That annoying quip out the way, I'm really looking forward to this. I really hope other goon's are too, a population of 10-15 on a map like this would be perfect.
Right now it's static, but hopefully we can set up some things specific to Destiny in the future, like having it "jump" to new locations, making different telesci areas available depending on where you jumped, stuff like that.

As for servers, nah, we aren't adding a server, we're converting one of the existing ones. Likely #2, leaving #1 as extended and #4 as standard-ruleset secret. #3 is probably going to be shut down, as I imagine the owner, volundr, would like to use that money for other things.
Haine Wrote:[*]Antags will no longer have free reign to just silently rampage around, killing everyone. While you won't be required to do your objectives, you should try to have a plan for something that will be fun for you and your victims. At the very least, interaction between antags and non-antags should be more than a c-saber being applied to the face repeatedly.
This needs to be applied going both ways in order to have it work even a little bit - especially for antags like changelings which are designed to silently incapacitate people and murder them before they wake up. I feel like vigilantes - or even people who carry around a doom beaker/laser gun "just in case" - would ruin all but the most robust antags under that restriction. And if people aren't allowed to carry around doom beakers anymore, then what does Science even do with themselves?
Paineframe Wrote:
Haine Wrote:[*]Antags will no longer have free reign to just silently rampage around, killing everyone. While you won't be required to do your objectives, you should try to have a plan for something that will be fun for you and your victims. At the very least, interaction between antags and non-antags should be more than a c-saber being applied to the face repeatedly.
This needs to be applied going both ways in order to have it work even a little bit - especially for antags like changelings which are designed to silently incapacitate people and murder them before they wake up. I feel like vigilantes - or even people who carry around a doom beaker/laser gun "just in case" - would ruin all but the most robust antags under that restriction. And if people aren't allowed to carry around doom beakers anymore, then what does Science even do with themselves?

Of course we will crack down on vigilantism as well. I personally believe that this is the leading cause of rampages. Nobody wants to drop their guard to do a gimmick, so it just ends up being a murderfest.
Nobody says science can't have / make doombeakers, but if you're carrying them around with the intent of splashing people then you will be asked to explain yourself.
I am totally psyched for Destiny and I am way pleased to have been involved in making some assets for it!
Haine Wrote:/u][/b][*]Chain-of-command and security will be more important. The head of your department is your boss and they can fire you, security officers can arrest you for stealing or breaking into places. The preference would be that unless they're doing something unreasonable, such as spacing you for writing on the walls, you shouldn't freak out over being punished for doing something that would, in reality, get you fired or arrested.

Just wanted to say. This is how for the most part security is handle on the normal server. At least that's how I approach it anyways.

Not too excited as I'm not really a role play kind of person, but the map looks cool and so far the rules look reasonable enough. Looking forward to giving it a try.
Questions:

How many players would you say the station is designed to handle?
Is there an AI on Destiny?
Will the Z-levels be the same as Cogmap 2?
Will traitor items be rebalanced for lower population/rp playstyle?
Destiny Map is what will get me playing SS13 again.

Bring it.
Dastardly Wrote:Questions

I'm gonna answer the questions I know the answer to.

1) 15-20? I think?
2) Yep.
3) For now at least, yes.
4) No idea!
I can't wait to give Destiny on Goon a try. Would I be able to 'roleplay' as Hulk on the RP server?
Destiny is looking rad as all hell and I am very excited to see how the two different playstyles and maps might reinforce eachother.
No reason not to be able to be Hulk, you can start the engine AND threaten hulkamania running wild on people at the same time, but if it means you have no time to do a job then go staff assistant and be the endearing crazy wrestling obsessed man, i know id buy you a drink. Like Haine said it's just about doing jobs and having things play out in a more colorful way in reguards to antag interactions. Being eccentric doesn't get in the way of either of those!
Spy_Guy Wrote:
Paineframe Wrote:

Of course we will crack down on vigilantism as well. I personally believe that this is the leading cause of rampages. Nobody wants to drop their guard to do a gimmick, so it just ends up being a murderfest.
Nobody says science can't have / make doombeakers, but if you're carrying them around with the intent of splashing people then you will be asked to explain yourself.
There was an old thread about roleplay that had a mad libs style roleplay background/character sheet kinda thing.

I think there was an idea for a kinda trait like thing for character sheets with things like "paranoid" "polite" "loyal" "lazy" "Heroic" "cowardly" etc. that could be randomized as a kind of guide to your motivations for the round.

Maybe that idea could be dusted off?
I guess some RP done on Gooncode will be a nice change of pace.

:synpa: