Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Destiny & RP on Goonstation
So, we whipped together some rules for the Destiny RP Server. Here's what we've got so far:
Quote:Goonstation RP Server Guidelines and Rules - Test Drive Edition:

1. Roleplay and have fun! Try to have fun with other players too, and try not to be too much of a jerk if you're not a traitor. Accidents may happen, but do not intentionally damage or destroy the station as a non-traitor.

2. If you are a traitor, you make the fun (conflict). Treat your role as an interesting challenge and not an excuse to destroy the game experience of other people. Your actions should make the game more fun, more exciting and more enjoyable for everyone (e.g: Don’t go on homicidal rampages unless your objectives require you to do so.)

3. Don’t be an awful person. Hate speech, bigoted language, discrimination, harassment, or sexual content (e.g: ERP, sexual assault, etc) will not be tolerated at all and may be considered grounds for immediate banning.

4. Remember that this game relies on trickery, sneakiness, and some suspension of disbelief. Do not cheat by using multiple accounts or by coordinating with other players through out-of-game communication means.

5. Play out your role believably! Don’t exploit glitches, out-of-character (OOC) knowledge, or knowledge of the game system to give your character advantages that they would not possess otherwise (e.g: a Security Guard probably knows basic first aid, but they wouldn’t know how to perform advanced surgery, etc.) When you are not a traitor, you should respect the chain of command, respect Security, and avoid vigilantism.

6. Keep IC and OOC separate. Do not use the L/OOC channel to spoil IC (In character) events, like the identity of a traitor/changeling. Likewise, do not treat IC chat like OOC (saying things like ((this round sucks)) over radio, etc)

7. Listen to the administration. If an admin asks you to explain your actions or asks you to stop doing something, you probably ought to do so. If you think someone is breaking the rules or ruining the game for everyone else somehow, use the ADMINHELP verb to give us a shout. If you just want tips on how to play the game, try MENTORHELP. Do not log out when an admin is speaking with you.

8. Real life takes precedence. If you are the AI or a head position and have to log off, PLEASE adminhelp a quick message. You do not need to wait for a response, but it really helps to know as it can seriously hamstring the station if you just disappear or go AFK.
I had a fun round on Destiny that I think sums up what might be fun about Goon RP.

I was a medical doctor in medbay with the detective and a security officer. As we were walking through medbay an assistant in black busts in and yells that he has a bomb! Oh no! He corrals us in to the medical doctor's office and orders us to drop our bags. We comply, he welds the door shut and now we're trapped in a hostage situation!
He's threatening to kill us if he doesn't get 30k credits and he's waving around a silenced pistol getting us to lay on the ground. Me and the other prisoners are whispering amongst ourselves about how me might escape and such and our captor is getting mad. Luckily, Centcom sees fit to sent their best man, Burt the Negotiator to come sort this mess out.

He comes down to medbay and there's some heated discussions between the hostage-taker and the negotiator, all the while the prisoners are being threatened and told to keep quiet else he'll blow the place up. Deciding he wants to move, the traitor tells me to fill the other two prisoners with morphine. Luckily he gets distracted enough by the negotiations that he doesn't notice that I don't inject them.
Anyway, the hostage-taker still wants to move us and he's had me search the detective and the sec officer's gear for cuffs, I'm ordered to cuff the three of us and I do. Starting with myself. So now the three of us are trapped welded in this room, two on the floor and me in cuffs.

This makes the assistant in black real mad and he has the security officer strip me of my ID and open the door, the three of us are stunned and cuffed and we're moved in to one of the patient rooms further in to medbay, away form the negotiator (who has brought along a totally legit NT-SO stamped gold bar to entice the hostage-taker, but he's not fallen for it.) We get in the room and I have the bright idea of getting my cuffs of and closing the blinds so we can come up with a plan.
This makes our captor mad and he busts in and starts whaling on me with his taser and I get knocked out. When I wake up,eveyone's screaming and the detective has gotten free and is firing wildly at the traitor, who in-turn pulls out a pipebomb and blows the whole place sky-high.

Good fun, made possible by the three of us going along with his hostage plot.
Aye, it was real neat to see people playing along. Traitor busts in with the bomb screaming for everyone to drop their weapons, HoS and the Detective are both standing in there, surely armed... but neither goes for the shot. They both complied, dropped their guns and laid down on the floor. So instead of the traitor just getting zapped immediately, an interesting story unfolded and everyone had fun.
I like how the bridge is in a very central area, and seems to be designed for sieges and hostage situations. A Janitor took me, a detective, and the captain hostage in the bridge, and it was super fun. I can do a little write up like gannets for it if you like.
Cogwerks Wrote:Aye, it was real neat to see people playing along. Traitor busts in with the bomb screaming for everyone to drop their weapons, HoS and the Detective are both standing in there, surely armed... but neither goes for the shot. They both complied, dropped their guns and laid down on the floor. So instead of the traitor just getting zapped immediately, an interesting story unfolded and everyone had fun.
Sounds neat. I think that highlights one of the things that traditionally stops things like that from happening on the other servers, being that death is pretty cheap and no one really minds when others or themselves die. Realistically, your average spaceman isn't going to go John McClane and try to slap bombs and guns out of a terrorists hands. They're going to do what keeps them alive. Even securities chief concern should be minimizing loss of life during a hostile situation, and it sounds like everyone performed beautifully.
I'm enjoying this new server a lot.
Had quite a bit of fun on Destiny too. It's refreshing to see people who usually have med access (and not seriously wounded) wait in the lobby for a doctor to attend to them.

Those floor based medscanners are finally seeing some usage.
Some advice based on my experience with RP servers, and from what I've already seen a few times in Destiny...

A rather common occurrence on RP servers is that a player will decide his/her idea of roleplaying is to spontaneously nurse a grudge against another character, and constantly harangue them over public comms for the entire round. In theory this sounds like something we stressed-out spessmen would do, and usually even occurs on the non-RP servers, but if you're just doing it for the sake of "roleplaying", may I suggest that you speak to the other person out-of-character in order to get both parties on board with this. When it's one party simply bombarding the other with constant claims that they're a bad captain/HoP/engineer/doctor/whatever for the entire shift, and the other person hasn't done anything huge to deserve it, it gets annoying for the rest of the server, and can be straight-up stressful for the person on the receiving end. Trust me on that, I've been it sometimes.

Just my input, hopefully we can nip that specific trend in the bud before it gets settled on this server.
http://www.ss13.se/servers/1478/LLJK%20RP%205/ good stuff
Right now there are over 90 players across both LLJK 4 and LLJK 5. The last time I can think of there being that many goon players at once was during the old days of Gibbed 1 and 2, with one server having 50-70 consistently and the other 30-40 consistently.
I've watched and played a few rounds on Destiny now. It's fun and interesting, and the map is super neat, too. That said, there's still some rough patches going forward - namely, rounds are still chaotic enough to qualify for a 'normal' LLJK #4 experience at times.

The rush of players from Goon and other servers certainly contributes to it, along with the small map size. When/if things calm down a bit, it will abate some, but I think calming things down a bit here at the start will allow Destiny to retain more people properly interested in the roleplay aspect rather than the novelty factor.

There's just too much gimmickery going on. It's something I love about the regular goon servers, but it's hard to play the straight man, normal crewman when there's a roachman horking vomit everywhere, the chef is trying to make burgers out of the martian diplomatic envoys, the HoP is offering all access for people who play russian roulette, and someone just crushed their head in an airlock right in front of you. Not to mention the hallways covered in blood.

My suggestion would be to make the distinction between normal crewman and the miscreant status an ironclad thing. Regular crewmen are, well, expected to be normal. You can - and should! - have a personality, or even a history, but you at least acknowledge certain mores and authority. So don't suicide because you're done playing the round, you're making a murder mystery with an extremely unsatisfactory ending. "Oh, he held his breath and died." Part of making and maintaining the roleplay aspect fun is keeping a sort of respect for death, so when an antag decides to leave a bloody dismembered corpse, people care.(If you do have to leave, sleeping in beds or just jumping out an airlock are cleaner options.)

Miscreants, however, can basically do all that ridiculous stuff that makes no sense. Their goal is to entertain, and pull the crew into and along with their insanity. Or at least get them incited enough to earn a beating, brigging or lambasting. I would suggest that head positions have the chance for miscreant-hood disabled in order to maintain some order, though. Miscreants would also exist as cover for the actual antags, who can either be stealthy or take refuge in audacity. So start a cult as the chaplain and evangelize and start a congregation. Or frame a coworker for making meth, or steal the spare ID and embezzle the budget.

As the server calms down, I expect a rule like this could be relaxed - or if nothing much interesting is happening, consider adminhelping and asking for an upgrade to miscreant.
LLJK RP 5: NSS DESTINY

STARRING:
ErikHanson as Clark Clarkson
SAAesculus as Thet Raytor
Voliun as Karla Crowne
Hephasto as Osiris Jones

Disclaimer - Only two events in this story were the result of administrator action: Gannets fixing the portal which had bugged out and authorizing the solving itself. All other events were entirely and completely player-driven, and completely replicable by anyone determined enough. It's a fun thing to do, and we totally encourage you to try it! Feel free to join us on #sol at irc.synirc.net to hang out and talk about the riddles and puzzles goonstation has to offer.

5th of December, 2053.

It started with a protest. Scribblings of SINNERS. Claims of God being dead, luddite and blasphemer thrown about.A fundamentalist chaplain against the sinners of the research department, a champion of Space God with one goal - shutting down the department, and preventing extradimensional beasts from invading the Destiny, all noble causes. A madman research director, who had already destroyed several stations for science.

And then Thet Raytor turned away from the main doors into research and walked past telescience, and was waved in by fellow scientist Clark Clarkson. As it turned out, he was not there by coincidence: He wanted to solve the solarium!

NanoTrasen research logs spoke of the 'solarium', the vessel lost to space within the Sol system over a decade ago, the vessel which, inevitably drove mad all who attempted to solve whatever riddles it had in store. So, of course, he would be the first.

But, of course, they were the elite top-notch nerds of the galaxy, the best of the best, and if they wanted to do it it would be done. And so a plan was hatched, a plan to piss off the chaplain, collect a set of keys and unlock the very forces of evil she wanted to prevent upon the station, solely in the interests of pissing off a mad priest.

They both tuned their headsets into a secret frequency, and went their own ways, Clarkson promptly ran into the pod bay and enlisted the help of a crewmember to build a small, but sturdy miniputt and Raytor calibrating telescience and sending himself to explore areas he suspected would contain clues to the riddle.

During all this, Clarkson was busy as well, busy, in two words, exploring space. In his spacepod, he managed to visit quite a few interesting places to retrieve a few important items - A spaceship stuck in a time-space disturbance with a rather old fellow and a key in his pocket, a key in a greater domestic space beehive-ship, and a rather peculiar egg, an egg with KALI MA engraved on it.

The advance through the biodome was almost instantanenous, stopped only when reality itself frowned at how fast it was going. A portal had failed to materialize, and instead opened up inside a tree trunk. But he already knew the solution: Space-time was grumpy.

A portal stuck in a tree, a clear indicator that space-time itself wanted nothing to do with Thet Raytor. And instead he descended down the elevator to grab not only the silver key or the old book, returning only after the portalhad its break and smoked a weed and allowed Thet to transit through.

The other side was intriguing yet repulsive, with blood-red carpet and monochrome grey walls clearly marking the owners and operators of whereever he ended up: A syndicate manufacturing satellite for the mysterious project IRIDIUM!

A small craft with mostly automated production facilities, It seemed almost entirely deserted, and became entirely so when Raytor took care of its last inhabitants - old, malfunctioning security droids. While few contents were noteworthy, there were several of great concern: Blueprints for new lines of Syndicate assault drones.

Clarkson was still busy retrieving the last few items he promised to pick up, after a few short messages back and forth, our elite nerds decided it would be quicker if Clarkson made some snacks for the automaton, and grabbed a few other items that would help solving the riddle, whilst Thet was still busy allowing for a tree to have a break to smoke weed and returning back to the station to attend to a head of staff meeting.

Promptly after entering botany clark was greeted by a grumpy botanist which wanted him to leave! Clark being the guy he is, he told the fellow spaceman to calm down, because he clearly had permission to be here under standard law sections 48 subheading 2B, just ask one of the heads.

After a quick conversation, and communication they found out that they had most of the items they required to to continue, but there was only one thing which could possibly provide enough power for the dreaded solarium's effects: The key, the heart of the IRIDIUM drone. And, just from a cursory glance at the blueprints from the factory, it was going to be the toughest battle yet.

they required at least 100.000 credits to buy some overly expensive pod armor to fight the IRIDIUM battledrone, or rather, battleship! Our elite nerds weighed their options: Robbing the ship's bank computer would be the easiest and fastest, surely, but would it be even possible to do? Pooling their resources to purchase hundreds of lottery tickets would surely take far too long, and there was always the chance that no tickets would win.

So both Thet Raytor and Clark Clarkson put their life savings on their ID cards, and played slots until they dropped, or they had the money, whichever came first. While Thet quickly turned his meagre 5500 credits into 25000, there was a problem: Corrupt security officer Osiris Jones was on patrol at his favorite gambling den, which just so happened to be the one Thet was playing at.

Which, of course, was a problem: Officer Jones was blocking the way, and Research Director Raytor wasn't giving up any of his money. So he gambled once more, put it all on the port-a-sci: The incredible teleporting closet. Just as Osiris was ready to take out his stun baton, Thet vanished into the locker and disappeared: The gambit worked.

But they were still short seventy thousand credits. Fortunately, Clarkson being a lucky fellow, it only took a few quick tries until Clarkson managed to get the jackpot of 100.000 credits, which was more than enough to get him the armor they needed to construct two space pods to battle the IRIDIUM drone!

After a few quick checks, they knew they were ready, their space pods ready for action, and action it was when the IRIDIUM drone's presence made itself known when it teleported towards the relay satellite, ready to face its challengers.

Unfortunately, the Syndicate had massively underestimated the value of engineering: The satellite itself blocked the drone from moving in all but one direction. And that one direction just so happened to have two angry, deadly spacepods staring down the doomed drone.

After celebrating a quick victory over the IRIDIUM battledrone, they both jumped into the port-a-sci, and promptly teleported back to a slightly charred research wing, after which Thet yelled the correct coordinates towards Clark, and after a few mashes of the SEND button, they knew they had managed to land back home - back at the Solarium when they were greeted by the clockwork ticks and tocks of the Automaton. After a few nods they both dumped their keys and items on the ground, and started to hand over their items to the now twitching and rotating Automaton, at last, they handed him a book, after which it froze.

And then it was done, they managed to solve the riddle, the puzzle, after all, despite countless roadblocks they managed to do it! They had defeated the machine, the Automaton, the Solarium, destroyed the Syndicate Y-class battledrone, and the universe itself was at their hands.

Thet and Clarkson both yelled of their victory over the station's common radio, and taunted the Chaplain for the last time - They at last had had their victory, and destiny was rightfully theirs.

And then the NSS Destiny flew into a sun. Or was it the sun that flew into its Destiny?

STAY TUNED FOR PART TWO.
So, if someone could put together a quick-and-dirty guide to the NEW engine, that'd be much appreciated. It's just similar enough to the Cogmap TEG to screw you over if you think like the old one.
DocSalient Wrote:So, if someone could put together a quick-and-dirty guide to the NEW engine, that'd be much appreciated. It's just similar enough to the Cogmap TEG to screw you over if you think like the old one.

Furnace setup:
1) load furnaces with char
2) open up all the valves
3) load plasma canisters onto auxiliary ports for both hot and cold loops
4) turn on furnaces
5) set both southeast and southwest SMES to draw 200000W, out put 60000W
6) every 10-15 minutes, take the canister from the hot auxiliary loop and attach it to the cold loop gas unit at pump level 5 until empty, then replace.
7) Every 20-30 minutes refill the furnaces

Combustion setup:
1) acquire a 66%/33% oxygen/plasma mix
->1a) hook up a plasma tank and an empty tank to the mixing valve in the northeast of the room
->1b) unhook the plasma canister, attach it to the hot loop input at pump level 1
->1c) hook up an oxygen canister to the mixing valve, you now have the mix
2) hook up a single can of mix to the combustion chamber feed, input level 1 and open the valve
3) ignite the mix, open the vent
4) hook up a nitrogen canister to the other combustion feed at pump level 2, do not open the valve
5) hook up a plasma canister to the cold loop auxiliary and the cold loop input at pump level 5, open the valves
6) hook up a plasma canister to the hot loop input at pump level 1 (skip if you performed step 1b) and open the hot loop valves
7) Set the SMES as in the furnace setup
8) keep an eye on the loops. when the hot loop starts hissing and showing warnings, close the combustion vent and introduce nitrogen. this will cool it down without stifling the fire. open up the vent and stop introducing nitrogen when warnings cease.

Hellburn Setup:
1) exactly the same as the combustion setup, but with some minor tweaks I'll let you figure out on your own!
Quote:This setup should reach up to, and above `120GW` within 30 minutes.

Requirements:
- Four plasma canisters.
- One N2O canister.
- One Oxygen canister.
- One RCD.
- One space or fire suit.
  • Prepare the cold loop by inserting two plasma canisters, and one n2o canister on the cold loop ports.
  • Turn on the freezers, and set them to the lowest possible setting, then open all cold loop valves.
  • Set all pump speeds to 1 using the pump control computer and disable one of the combustion chamber pumps.
  • Obtain TWO tanks of normal 33/66 plasma & oxygen fuel mixture, attach those to the combustion chamber ports.
  • Get a RCD and remove the flooring under ALL canisters.
  • Remove ALL fuel tanks, from the engine and control room, to prevent explosions.
  • Open the combustion chamber vent.
  • Open both valves on the combustion chamber loop.
  • Important: Only ONE pump should be running, otherwise we would be wasting fuel.
  • Ignite the combustion chamber, and close the heat shield.
  • Important: keep this CLOSED otherwise the glass will break, setting you and others on fire!
  • After rougly five to ten minutes you can open all hot loop valvesand allow plasma to flow through the pipes, experiment with the amount of plasma you allow to flow through the hot loop!