Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New popup design
Hello fellow spacenerds.

As you should have noticed for the past few months or however long it's been, the changelog looks a smidge different from every other popup in the game. This was my experiment with custom styling popup windows and I'm happy to say it's been pretty successful. As a result, the technique can now be copied to other popups that exist in the game. However, the visual style of the changelog was always supposed to be temporary and I need something that looks way better. This is where you, the spacefarting public, come in!

What I need
A graphical design for a new popup style. That is, the way the popup looks. This can be in any format (a photoshop file, a jpeg, html/css, whatever) and I will convert the design I think works the best. You are literally designing a box for content to be shoved in. You are free to also design a style guide for said content but it's not a necessary part of this request.

Considerations
  • Popups are variable size (from teeny tiny to half the screen) so please design with that in mind.
  • I can do transparency (bits of the popup that don't show) but it's limited (no partial transparency).
  • Popups are browser windows designed with html/css/js. By and large this isn't an issue for these designs but just be aware some small aspects might be impossible to replicate in a browser.

What's in it for you
Beyond a warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from helping develop this rad game, I'm also prepared to offer prizes to the owner of the design that gets chosen (and probably some consolation prizes for those who don't). You will:
  • Be mentioned in the changelog as the designer
  • Receive a special in-game medal that gives special vanity rewards!
  • Receive an as yet undecided amount of antag tokens
  • In the future, your design could be extended to other stuff too, like the client interface itself

Oh and to help, here's a design that Supernorn did for the now defunct remake project. You don't have to follow it whatsoever but it's a rough idea of what I want for this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 ... 3lobby.png

So, get designing spacejerks!
Query: Can the pop-ups vary depending on what your interacting with?

For example, a PDA pop up could have a pda-style pop-up. Here's a very rough idea of what i'm talking about:
[Image: 99F1Dq9.png]
Other examples would be a paper-y pop-up for paper/wizard scroll, computer style pop-up for computers, etc etc.
Multiple templates are possible yes, although I would still like to stick to a common template for the majority of popups.
[Image: Jcrqeq0.png]
Simple, sleek, and effective. I actually started getting a bit carried away and began work on a total rework of the changelog pop-up, but that can be saved for another time. I actually rarely do graphics design, but hopefully this looks at least halfway decent.
I would be remiss if I didn't put some effort of my own into this too so:

[Image: Jd7we94.png]

I copied the goonhub styling. s h r u g
I like Bane's design, as long as it maybe has a light counterpart for some popups. All dark is ugly.
Wire, that design seems a little TOO bare bones, maybe it should have the top section w/ buttons separate from the bottom, and borders around the screen.
Made mine lighter + added an example of a content well + made a second example from quilty's suggestion to separate the titlebar.

[Image: X5dzOHC.png]
quiltyquilty Wrote:I like Bane's design, as long as it maybe has a light counterpart for some popups. All dark is ugly.
I brightened things up a bit, hopefully looks a bit better. Also because I realized that the minimize/close buttons and the border sort of blend into each other.

[Image: la2Be0P.png]
Wire Wrote:Multiple templates are possible yes, although I would still like to stick to a common template for the majority of popups.
I like the idea of certain popups having a unique style. Like a generic one for electronic screens that can be shared among PDAs and monitors, and another for paper that has been written on.
Spiffed up my thing:

[Image: fUXnr1z.png]
the way the blue line is broken up on the left is gorgeous, obviously the work of a master graphical designer. best part bar none.
I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm doing. But here's this for now while I figure out something better.

[Image: ElWynFv.png] [Image: hvvJeEC.png]
It's so pretty guys. Keep up the nice work! smile
[Image: RInZ84S.png]

I got lazy with the text toward the end because I got distracted by the filler text generation text.

Went for a cheap biege plastic-y look since that's what I imagine PDAs are made of. Chipping paint would be the next logical step.
Gannets Wrote:I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm doing. But here's this for now while I figure out something better.

[Image: ElWynFv.png] [Image: hvvJeEC.png]
I like it, the second one is just a bit too thick