Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let Martian Diplomats understand english
What's the purpose of a randomly assigned role that completely disallows you from interacting with other players? In a social game where player interactions are the primary draw of the game?
EdVenture Wrote:It's pretty much no fun what so ever to play as a monkey now since you are pretty much deaf all round.

EdVenture Wrote:Having no way to no what's going on for the whole round makes people be assholes more then usually. Again, being deaf all round cause you randomly rolled a monkey is not fun.

These quotes of mine of from my "Let monkeys understand humans again" thread which is in the good ideas sub-forum. I believe they are relevant for this thread as these points I used in that thread apply here. Sure it makes sense that Aliens and Monkeys would not understand the human language but from a gameplay and player perspective is completely unfun and a terrible experience.
Well you'd expect that a martian sent to the station specifically as a diplomat would at least have a martian-english phrasebook or something.
Grizzwold Wrote:Well you'd expect that a martian sent to the station specifically as a diplomat would at least have a martian-english phrasebook or something.

Please give them the ability to understand English, but also give them an item that when used just causes them to talk like Cleese does here.
Make the martians understand broken english

Jon Greff [145.9] says, "AI BOLT THE DOORS THE CAPTAIN IS KILLING ME!!"
turns to:
Jon Gleff [145.9] says, "AI BORT DOOR CAPTAIN KIRR!!!"
Hilarious. I like the phrasebook idea. It's far easier to understand a language than it is to speak it. It could work like a Ouija board with either common phrases or the ability to que up words, but not their order. Heck, this could work both ways if the station could speak 'martial' with the help of a similar phrasebook.
Vitatroll Wrote:Hilarious. I like the phrasebook idea. It's far easier to understand a language than it is to speak it. It could work like a Ouija board with either common phrases or the ability to que up words, but not their order. Heck, this could work both ways if the station could speak 'martial' with the help of a similar phrasebook.

Sorry, I agree with the thread's point. I just got excited at the prospect of two people shouting garbed phrases at eachother. That rare situation wouldn't be worth the annoyance of martians not being able to understand stationspeak.
I have to agree with the thread, I don't know why this was ever a good idea. I don't think anyone has ever found being unable to meaningfully interact fun, and cannot fathom why this feature keeps being implemented.