Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plasma harvesting
You know what's funny? The station is supposedly orbiting a gas giant full of plasma but we have no way to acquire more plasma tanks. Sure we have plasmastone but we can't get more plasma gas, even from the QM. So what I'm suggesting is giving mining another new toy to extract plasma and other gases from the planet below...but they have to babysit it constantly when it's running to keep it from exploding! The more plasma they mine, the more funding the station receives from earth, and the more cool toys everyone else can buy.
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:The station is supposedly orbiting a gas giant full of plasma
It's a conspiracy, man! Space Station 13 is nothing more than a deathtrap they send incompetent/crazy crewmates to die in horrible ways!

But in all serious, I don't see why not? I mean, you need plasma. You should be able to get more, especially if that's what we're supposedly doing. I like the idea of having a machine that will blow up if you don't check it every so often.
I'd like to see it where you can extract any basic gas type - or even mixtures if you are good. The more you try to pull in in terms of number of types and amount per type ups the difficulty/likelyhood to explode.
I think there should be at least some level in which you can leave it running at minimal risk, otherwise either nobody's going to touch the damn thing or they'll leave it running, forget about it and it explodes every round. Then if you try running it above recommended settings, you can collect way more plasma/money, but need to micromanage it more in case of catastrophe.
Roomba Wrote:I think there should be at least some level in which you can leave it running at minimal risk, otherwise either nobody's going to touch the damn thing or they'll leave it running, forget about it and it explodes every round. Then if you try running it above recommended settings, you can collect way more plasma/money, but need to micromanage it more in case of catastrophe.

Maybe there's just an On/Off, that works safely, but you can open the machine up and hack it to make it work faster, but more unstable.
This would be a lot better of an idea if there was an incentive to collect more plasma, other than money for the QM. The plasma in toxins and engineering is more than enough for an average round.
The one problem I have with plasma mining is that most servers say plasma is mined from stars.

I think it would be way better if there were plasma wells in mining rocks, since it would mean more chances for explosion.

Optionally you could have plasma spores and other nasty critters escape from the wells, so you'd have to be really careful, or ask security for some laser guns. (although exploding plasma spores would make mining other things much easier)

The plasma drill (which could work by just being a drill with a pipe running through it, with the tank attached outside it) would need to be pretty robust to keep from being blown up though. At worst if you're using plasma spores to do mining you'd have to replace the gas tank, since those things break all the time from heat.

Also I still think a plasma grill for chef would be a fun thing. We have enough plasma but I think we could use more plasma accessories.
Changing the word plasma to propane not required.
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:You know what's funny? The station is supposedly orbiting a gas giant full of plasma but we have no way to acquire more plasma tanks. Sure we have plasmastone but we can't get more plasma gas, even from the QM. So what I'm suggesting is giving mining another new toy to extract plasma and other gases from the planet below...but they have to babysit it constantly when it's running to keep it from exploding! The more plasma they mine, the more funding the station receives from earth, and the more cool toys everyone else can buy.
Doesn't plasmastone slowly give off plasma gas?
quiltyquilty Wrote:This would be a lot better of an idea if there was an incentive to collect more plasma, other than money for the QM. The plasma in toxins and engineering is more than enough for an average round.

Atmos 2015: you have to mine the air you breathe
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:
quiltyquilty Wrote:This would be a lot better of an idea if there was an incentive to collect more plasma, other than money for the QM. The plasma in toxins and engineering is more than enough for an average round.

Atmos 2015: you have to mine the air you breathe
That gives even less reason to mine plasma outside of traitoring.

I feel like if the reagent plasma and the gas plasma could be somehow linked, that this overall suggestion could be useful. The main problem, however, is that the reagent plasma is a basic chem dispenser chem, meaning its already infinite. The reagent also has a very strange spread of uses, so restraining its availability would also cause problems.