Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xenobiology department
This would be another job for scientists to do. They would selectively breed critters for quality and either sell them via QM or extract various reagents from them (some reagents would only be available from sparkling npcs.)

The xenobiology office would contain several holding pens from critters and some breeding chambers for combining DNA. You would have breed 2 of any critter and do some botany style splicing shit multiple times to get a sparkling critter. There would also be tools for pacifying and transporting dangerous animals in case you want to breed ice spiders for some reason (wink wink.)

The day to day activities of xenobiology would be to
1) breed livestock for the chef
2) breed alien lifeforms for QM to sell. These would have to be caged and transported to QM and the critter could break out and rampage all over the station if you don't use the right cage.
3) extract medicinal ingredients (among other things) from alien critters (kind of like how they extract spider venom for medicine IRL.) This may or may not involve killing them, depending on the critter

The critters could be either bought from QM or brought to the station via telescience. Xeno would also start with some (relatively) harmless ones like space pigs.

What totally wouldn't happen ever: Traitor scientists flooding medbay with spider egg foam and breeding giant space wasps.
Also scientists raising ornery bulls so they can unleash cattle stampedes on the station.
Only if you can also experiment with animals already on the station like George.
I like the sound of this, as long as it's more than aliens or slime breeding boogaloo.
It's all fun and games until "HELP XENOBIO THE EXPERIMENT IS FREE CALL THE SHUTTLE"

I never knew how much I wanted goonstation xenobiology until now.
Nnystyxx Wrote:I like the sound of this, as long as it's more than aliens or slime breeding boogaloo.

I have no idea what TG is doing so probably not.

Although accidental blobs would be kind of funny.
Grifflez Wrote:It's all fun and games until "HELP XENOBIO THE QUEEN CLUWNE SPIDER IS FREE CALL THE SHUTTLE"

I never knew how much I wanted goonstation xenobiology until now.
It could certainly be done in an interesting manner though I'm of the opinion that research has more than enough toys for one department and really ahould split.

Physical Sciences/Research:
Chemistry
Toxins
Artlab
Telescience

Biological Sciences/Research:
Xenobiogy
Genetics
Pathology
Erev Wrote:It could certainly be done in an interesting manner though I'm of the opinion that research has more than enough toys for one department and really ahould split.

Physical Sciences/Research:
Chemistry
Toxins
Artlab
Telescience

Biological Sciences/Research:
Xenobiogy
Genetics
Pathology
Agreed. I feel like something like Xenobiology is something that would really synergize with both of those as well. Alien genetic mutations, alien diseases, etc.
You can never have too many toys when all of them have a high learning curve. I think for the most part scientists specialize in one thing (chemistry, artifacts, telescience, etc) and rarely go into the other rooms.
I think it works better as an additional civilian department, similar to botany. Selective breeding/farming is already their thing, and that department hasn't gotten anything new in a while.
Roomba Wrote:I think it works better as an additional civilian department, similar to botany. Selective breeding/farming is already their thing, and that department hasn't gotten anything new in a while.

They haven't grown anything besides weed or exploding tomatos in a while either. And their department is more secure than the AI upload.

On second thought, maybe we need to xeno departments. One for growing livestock en masse and one for harvesting reagents from telescience monsters.
You know how chemistry can work with medbay, toxins can work with engineering, and telescience can give security and assistants something to do? I want this for botanists/chef/barman to finally have a scientist buddy.

Plus it gives us the potential for fun alien foods and items.
atomic1fire Wrote:You know how chemistry can work with medbay, toxins can work with engineering, and telescience can give security and assistants something to do? I want this for botanists/chef/barman to finally have a scientist buddy.

Plus it gives us the potential for fun alien foods and items.

Like that popplers episode of futurama?
Yes the popplers.