Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio Dispatch Terminal/Intercom
So, I think it would be nice to have one spot on the station where you can listen to and speak over all the radio channels, mainly as a way to coordinate between departments without a headset.

A console in the customs area seems like the best place for something like that, since it's both somewhat restricted but public enough that you couldn't just spy without anyone noticing.
Intercoms and the department channels in general are an extremely useful feature that goes tragically underused. This would be cool, and would also give the HoP a fun new toy with which they can find new ways of committing corporate sabotage.
why not allow intercoms, and headsets to be modified to listen to other channels, e.g. via small modules you can pop into the headset
That makes sense. Maybe have the dispatch machine work like the ID machine, and the HOP can stick their ID and a headset in and reprogram it to the channels you need when getting reassigned to a job with a department radio.
Headset Modules seem like a neat idea. Traitors/mean people can all the keys out of someone's headset and throw them in the toilet. Or just force them to put them all back in one by one. A way to reprogram headsets/tinker with them like that seems like a good idea-- it also means an enterprising Captain can 'mute' one department or the other if he's feeling Too Important to listen.
If you can steal the chip from a security radio it would also give you an easy way to listen in on security without alerting them to the fact that you have a security headset. A bit like a captain level access custom ID that has been outfitted with the Staff Assistant job title. They'd just see your regular radio name and think nothing of it.
I suppose if headsets had chips, maybe everyone's starting headset could have a unique code for private one way chat, with a larger different colored font
There's a comms room north of the bridge that never sees any use except the occasional radio spammer or bored captain making an announcement.

I feel like this would be a good place to put it.