Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemistry General Idea Thread
Hey, this seems to be a topic that's being discussed and I'd love to hear some people's ideas on it in a way that works towards improving the whole system. So consider this thread a general, throw out whatever you think might work thing, and we'll all work around the ideas. So, feel free to add to any idea, or pitch your own.

I make this thread as someone that barely knows about chemistry. I think, why that is, I've never felt like it was something I wanted to invest the time into trying to figure out how to make everything. I've never had any clue on how to figure out something, except to mix random things together and to see what happens. With so many chemicals and the chance for something to go wrong, it's just never seemed like a worthwhile use of my time. When I have needed to, I end up pulling the wiki up, checking out the desired recipe, and using that. So personally, I would like to see more guidance in the system. How can I look at the chemicals in the game, and figure out what combinations might work to produce something viable.

I think, some kind of equipment in the lab that works similar to the material analysis would be nice. Give chemicals properties that can be checked, in game, like flammability, toxicity, or pH value. These values, and the way they interact with each other, could help be a guide for the novice like myself. making a mix would be less about filling out a recipe, but mixing together things with desirable traits. A more freeform system, rather than meeting recipe requirements.

I'd also like to see some more method of mixing chemicals. There are some things that need to be heated or cooled, but how about things that need to be added slowly to something else, with the use of droppers. Things that need to be filtered after mixing, to remove impurities. Things that once mixed, have a window of time for max effectiveness. Use it too soon, or too late and the chemical doesn't have as great of an effect or no effect of all.

In short, I'd like for chemistry to be something simpler to pick up, while more difficult to master, based on the traits of the chemicals and their interactions. The system should allow someone to do the basics without outside help, while a seasoned player could though repeated tests discover the exact time that a poison was most effective, or how to mix together a hell fire chem based on the individual ingredients flammability and viscosity.