Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genetics Changes
Hi, I'm relatively new, been playing for a month or so and started to get to grips with some of the systems. I've had a quick look around to see if there's anything covering this but couldn't find anything so I decided to post my thoughts.

The main thing is I have no fucking idea what's going on with genetics! The wiki is outdated, and were it not for other players teaching me I wouldn't know how to do it at all in its present state. I find new players joining and having no idea what to do either. It seems to me as a newcomer as though someone went halfway through overhauling the genetics system and then just stopped. I don't know how true that assumption is, but that's the impression I've gotten. But having used the new system a fair amount, I have some ideas for what to do with it.

As far as I can tell, there are two systems going on, the old, match pairs and fill in the code system, and the new activator and injector system. My idea is to keep both, but have differing rewards.

First of all, reduce the number of already revealed blocks for each gene to one or two. Also, reduce the cost of researching a latent mutation (10 would be my suggestion). However, make it so that each latent mutation has to be researched individually, even if that type of mutation has been revealed before. The computer should remember and combine revealed blocks for each mutation, so if you research a handful of blocks for x ray vision, then you research it on someone else and get a different handful of blocks, the computer matches the two in its memory.

Splicing and the creation of injectors can only be done if the computer has the complete genetic sequence in its memory banks, so if you want to give everybody IBS you're going to have to complete that genetic code buddy. This means that mutation storage will need to be altered as it's just lost its job, but as a result completing genetic codes is much more rewarding in the long run. If you put a lot of time in you could have every mutation available at once, ready to inject. To slow this down a bit I recommend making the gene sequence checker upgrade higher up the research tree.

On the other hand you have the activators, which are the cheap and nasty way to get mutations. Functionally, they should remain mostly the same as they are now, allowing you to activate latent mutations without contributing towards unlocking their code, but providing you with materials, chromosomes and unlocks, as well as reducing research costs.

Having two systems allows two geneticists to split the work more evenly, one can get to work filling out the genetic code, the other can get to work with the activators.

Other stuff
- Allow activators spent on monkeys to be turned in to the machine. Making them human is just pointless busywork.
- DNA reclaiming is never used as materials are already plentiful. Instead, change it so that reclaiming a mutation provides you with a chromosome instead, which are much more sought after, and move DNA reclaiming up the research tree a bit to compensate.
- Change the weakener chromosome to provide double chromosomes when reclaimed.
- Only allow Chromosome + Mutation splicing at first, lock Mutation + Mutation splicing behind an upgrade. Put a research time on splicing together two mutations. Add associated research upgrades for speeding up splicing time.
- Synchronising some passive mutations would be fun. For a traitor, radioactive and mutagenic field would make for interesting rounds.

Those are my ideas. Please disregard if there is some plan in regards to genetic systems. Regadless, I also have suggestions for new mutations. The names are negotiable.

Mutation Ideas
- Static Buildup - passive - a harmful mutation that causes you to occasionally electrocute yourself and other people. Try not to walk too close to fuel tanks!
- Directed Ion Burst - active - basically a controlled version of the above. Zap people.
- Mind Shock - active - a psychic ability that allows you to cause other people to pass out for a short time. Long cooldown.
- Directed Mental Collapse - active - causes someone's head to explode, Scanners style. A secret mutation created through a combination of psychic mutations. Takes a few moments to work, you have to stay still, and the person needs to stay in your vision while you do it. The victim gets a warning message and you also pass out for a moment afterwards due to the mental exertion, making it pretty obvious who did that, unless you're sneaky about it.
- Psychic Bomb - active - choose a tile and BOOM! It explodes! Or does it? In fact, there is no explosive effect at all, you just project the psychic image of an explosion to everyone nearby. Good for scaring people.
- Electromagnetic Field - passive - all electronics within x amount of tiles of you will behave as though they have been emagged. Has advantages (any door you want will open for you) and disadvantages (you should stay away from Beepsky and Medibot). The emag effect goes away after you move far enough away.
- Typhoid Mary - active - gives you a random infectious disease. Not a great idea. But if you stablise it, you get a random infectious disease that you're immune to.
- Infested Colon - passive - farting has a chance to spawn either a bee larva or a baby spider (and other fun things you think of). Gross!
- Paraneural Antenna - passive - allows you to hear ghost chat.
- Rapid Fossilisation - active - turns you into a rock, making you immune to basic attacks, fire, cold, the vacuum of space and makes you unable to be dragged or moved at all. A good panic button if you're being robusted. And if you stabilise it, you can turn back into a human again too!
- Spirit of Jazz - passive - the soothing lilt of the saxophone causes you to enter a fugue state where you run around screaming and beating the shit of out everyone you see.
- Overclocked Brain - passive - no effect when you're human, but if you happen to be borged, you are automatically freed from your laws as if you were emagged
- Bone claws - active - gives you a set of retractable claws above your knuckles. Acitvating them is very painful, and you will pass out and probably bleed to death.
Paraneural Antenna - passive - allows you to hear ghost chat.

Heh
that's actually incredibly impressive how in one post, without using words, you managed to reveal yourself as a white noise poster to a newcomer
While fairly non constructive (really, can we quit the no brain/ derail posts in this forum) he does have a point.
Hearing ghost chat would be incredibly unbalanced. Let it sink in what information a geneticist could gleam from it.

Quote:- Allow activators spent on monkeys to be turned in to the machine. Making them human is just pointless busywork.
- DNA reclaiming is never used as materials are already plentiful. Instead, change it so that reclaiming a mutation provides you with a chromosome instead, which are much more sought after, and move DNA reclaiming up the research tree a bit to compensate.
- Change the weakener chromosome to provide double chromosomes when reclaimed.
- Only allow Chromosome + Mutation splicing at first, lock Mutation + Mutation splicing behind an upgrade. Put a research time on splicing together two mutations. Add associated research upgrades for speeding up splicing time.
- Synchronising some passive mutations would be fun. For a traitor, radioactive and mutagenic field would make for interesting rounds.
Some solid suggestions.

To the mutation idea's. Some of them are really good and I'd love to see them in-game. Psychic Bomb, thypoid mary, spirit of jazz, bone claws are good examples.
Others are not balanced. Overclocked brain and Electromagnetic field are too unbalanced to be included, as is Mind Shock.
Directed mental collapse could be used if it's difficult to unlock and used like the martians mind attack in which the person can feel their brain expanding and can run away, but also it's known that geneticist is doing it, and he collapses soon after.
Directed ion burst could be cool if it was a slow charge taser attack, rather than an instant zap.
Infested colon would be good, but it would need to brute damage.
Rapid Fossilization is a really cool idea, but there should be NO way to stabilize it. You activate it, you become a rock. You cant also cant speak. The only way to become human is if someone gives you mutadone.
Yeah, that's fair enough, hearing ghosts would reveal antags pretty quickly, and I doubt any amount of drawbacks would balance that out. The emag field/overclocked brain I suspected would be unbalanced too, but wanted to air for the sake of fun; I like the idea of an undirected emag effect that could just as easily help you or hurt you. Maybe if it didn't open doors? I do like the mutadone only solution for rapid fossilisation though.

Another concept I've been trying to balance is the idea of a spirit walk; when activated you become a ghost (although unable to hear ghost chat for reasons previously addressed) and can scout around and see what's happening nearby. Your body is left completely vulnerable though, with a message saying your eyes have gone blank to indicate you're on a spirit walk and haven't disconnected. People could get around that though by finding a good hiding place to spirit walk from, so I was thinking about the possibility of allowing ghosts to steal the vacant body, either straight away or after a certain amount of time, depending on balance, with automatic messages popping up in ghost chat popping up in intervals indicating where the free body to steal is.
Activators should only work on human players, whether they're monkey, human, skeleton, martian, or what have you.

The whole idea of that feature was/is to encourage more traffic flow and business through Genetics.
That's fair enough, but the issue is that currently you can simply turn monkeys into humans and use the activators on them instead, so there's no need to summon anyone to genetics unless you want to activate high-complex dna, which doesn't occur in monkeys as far as I can tell.
locusts Wrote:That's fair enough, but the issue is that currently you can simply turn monkeys into humans and use the activators on them instead, so there's no need to summon anyone to genetics unless you want to activate high-complex dna, which doesn't occur in monkeys as far as I can tell.
There may not be a need to do so, but the issue is, the issue of trying to get geneticists to be social has been a particularly troublesome issue. Remember the Port-A-Gene? That was an attempt at getting geneticists to get out of the lab. Instead, we got people hiding in maintenance tunnels.

Honestly, the way I see it, the current system works just fine as far as the social aspect is concerned, and any more alterations might result in something disastrous. Ain't broke don't fix it etc.
This isn't really topic relevant, but I can certainly say that since 'new' genetics I have seen more chatty, friendly geneticists. People actually notice it now when I put corpses in the chairs! *gasp || Furthermore, since we now only have a singular, public cloner, I get cloned about three times as much! Well, I have puritan, but it's the thought that counts.

Overall I think the system is about as balanced we've had social wise. Just so long as the geneticists stay within earshot.

What all that nonsense means is I'm against allowing monkey activators being reclaimed. I get it's just busywork, but that's somewhat the point. Speed or higher tier research should go to social or adventurous geneticists... and hey, if people aren't cooperating you can always create life yourself! I think that works, anyways.
Genetics is the best it's ever been, in my opinion. If anything, I think Genetics could use a nerfing with some of it's powers becoming Robotics cyborg upgrades.
Frank_Stein Wrote:Genetics is the best it's ever been, in my opinion. If anything, I think Genetics could use a nerfing with some of it's powers becoming Robotics cyborg upgrades.

eh, leaving them in genetics and then giving robotics access to a cybernetic version of stuff would be more fun and interesting. if you make it rely on resources from QM it wont be too broken to have it available in manufacturers
locusts Wrote:that's actually incredibly impressive how in one post, without using words, you managed to reveal yourself as a white noise poster to a newcomer
I'm sorry I have nothing to add but this is an incredible post. You're alright, locusts.
This may not be relevant to the topic at hand, but I figured I'd post it here rather than making yet another Genetics thread: It would be really nice if you could search DNA samples by Mutation. Maybe just a button on the researched mutations menu that displays all the people who have the mutation in their DNA sample? I don't know if it would work code-wise, but it would make distributing mutations and activators far easier, thus encouraging geneticists to be more social.
Ok, I understand that Geneticists not being social has been a problem in the past. I've only been playing a couple of months so I can't speak for that. But the change to make activators work on monkeys? It's broken, that's what I'm trying to say. You just change the body type to human and the activators work, no need to leave genetics and interact with people. If you're careful and with a bit of luck you can spend the entire round working from one monkey and then escape on the shuttle with the powers of a god. However, if you close that loophole, the amount of spent activators to reclaim drops dramatically along with the research rate which necessitates further changes. And while genetics may be the best it's ever been, there is still plenty of room for improvement. You still have the issue of huge redundancies in how it operates and there is little in the way of guidance for new players; to a newcomer it seems completing the code is the correct thing to do but it's completely unnecessary, and if you weren't told to reclaim the activators, there's not much chance you'd think to do that outside of trial and error.

If you want to make genetics a bit more social, how about making a handheld scanner? Make it so that there are no DNA samples in the database to start off with, and by using the scanner on a person they both collect a DNA sample to be researched, and maybe add the person to the cloning database. That way, the geneticist is forced to leave the lab at the beginning of the round and during downtimes when research is occurring to fill out the database of crew members. Depending on if you can balance it, maybe even make it have some reaction that reveals changelings and vampires so that its in the crew's interest to get the geneticist active.
locusts Wrote:Yeah, that's fair enough, hearing ghosts would reveal antags pretty quickly, and I doubt any amount of drawbacks would balance that out. The emag field/overclocked brain I suspected would be unbalanced too, but wanted to air for the sake of fun; I like the idea of an undirected emag effect that could just as easily help you or hurt you. Maybe if it didn't open doors? I do like the mutadone only solution for rapid fossilisation though.

Another concept I've been trying to balance is the idea of a spirit walk; when activated you become a ghost (although unable to hear ghost chat for reasons previously addressed) and can scout around and see what's happening nearby. Your body is left completely vulnerable though, with a message saying your eyes have gone blank to indicate you're on a spirit walk and haven't disconnected. People could get around that though by finding a good hiding place to spirit walk from, so I was thinking about the possibility of allowing ghosts to steal the vacant body, either straight away or after a certain amount of time, depending on balance, with automatic messages popping up in ghost chat popping up in intervals indicating where the free body to steal is.

i think the ghost-hearing would be pretty fun

like if it were just a random word from a random dead guy or just take a word from the next 5 people who talk and turn it into a nonsense sentence