Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
~Decorative Sprites~ enlighten me
So Cogs requested for me to make a bunch of decorative sprites during the alpha test of his new map.

Currently there's only really new 2 flavor sprites in the new map, that's little vases with flowers in them, and ashtrays. Older decorative sprites include plant life, posters, candles, etc.
Decorative items also while may look nice, may serve some small purpose. In that regard, you could consider a sink a decorative sprite, while water is easier to get from the chem dispenser, a sink really completes a look in a station. For all intents and purposes, the entire bathroom is just one big decoration, it's sole purpose would be for security to swirly nerds or people to hide in. So if a decorative item has a purpose, the purpose is to remain very simple.

Admittedly, while all over the idea, I am unsure what else to add. So I decided to make this post to the community to throw me a few ideas.
Be mindful, think about the area where you would see this decorative sprite. Like the burning barrel in the grimy staff assistant quarters or the lava lamp in the liberal botanists dome.

Stuff that's already on the cards, would be water coolers in research, water fountains, beanbags, hookahs/bongs in botany, more LED lights in the bar, towel racks and towels in the gym (JUST THROW IN THE DAMN TOWEL), possibly a jacuzzi. It's all on the cards if I can sprite it, but I need info.
I think a poster for <SPORTS TEAM> would be neat for either the gym or the bar (because you just know there's at least one soccer hooligan in the crew). Maybe a calendar or two scattered around. Small stuff to give the station a lived-in feeling.
64x64 or 32x32 water fountain in the owlery, and maayybe a water(chemical)tank for it (located in the maint under owlery).

Ahh, gotta fill it with deathchems
Thanks to the ability to place your drinks wherever you want on the bar, coasters may be in order to keep those nasty water rings off the synthwood!
Magazines and newspapers in the Medbay lounge.

Office desk toys for Captain like a Newton's cradle

Falcon statue, hat rack, for Detective.

Red telephone in HoS office for calling Batman
Bring back the Rush poster from Donut station.
Grizzwold Wrote:I think a poster for <SPORTS TEAM> would be neat for either the gym or the bar (because you just know there's at least one soccer hooligan in the crew). Maybe a calendar or two scattered around. Small stuff to give the station a lived-in feeling.

hell yeah man

Naximous Wrote:64x64 or 32x32 water fountain in the owlery, and maayybe a water(chemical)tank for it (located in the maint under owlery).

Ahh, gotta fill it with deathchems

Already in the works. My concern about a 64x64 sized water fountain is that it is too big and/or too out of place in the owlry. But yes water fountain is a go-go.

APARTHEID Wrote:Thanks to the ability to place your drinks wherever you want on the bar, coasters may be in order to keep those nasty water rings off the synthwood!

hell yeah man

Frank_Stein Wrote:Magazines and newspapers in the Medbay lounge.

Office desk toys for Captain like a Newton's cradle

Falcon statue, hat rack, for Detective.

Red telephone in HoS office for calling Batman

hell yeah man

We totally need a harvey birdman costume.
Also while I know the last one is kind of a joke, I would find it hilarious if there was a red telephone in the HoS' office that connected to a red telephone somewhere on the station such as the clowns closet
A sanitary inspection grade certificate for the bar/kitchen (it'd be cool if you could alter it with a crayon)

A lifeguard chair for the pool

One of those desktop plasma globes for the RD

A ship in a bottle for the Captain or the CE

A little counter-top bell at the HoP's office and at the arrivals checkpoint.

An eye chart for medbay

and lastly

Frank_Stein Wrote:Red telephone in HoS office for calling Batman
Speaking of phones, maybe some payphones around the station as well? They could be functional and dial people's headsets or something, or they could just a flavor thing where they ring randomly and some weirdo says a few meaningless things and hangs up or you can dial random numbers for hidden messages.
Sauna stove.

Pipeborgan for the chaplain.

Genetics noticeboard with some random DNA bullshit on it.

Bottle resycling machine. Gives you money, goes to disposals.

6th grade Math/Physics books in science. NERDS

Phone booth that connects to the crisis line (medbay). Would be at the PTL.

Hangers for Jackets and hats.

We don't have washing machines do we?

Maybe some more hobo stuff?
Posters scattered around medbay and central halls talking about diseases and their cures/treatment.
Something like "KNOW YOUR DISEASES, KNOW YOUR CURES:"
Common cold: Rest
Robotic Transformation: Electric Shock
Cluwnism: Death

Discount Dan Advertisements

Unfinished mutiny/resistance posters in maint hallways.
Something that I can neither confirm nor deny, but certainly possible, that was talked about is a "pop-up" picture upon viewing.

So you'd have the normal picture on the wall, 16x16 or whatever tiny size it is. Upon examine, a pop up would show you what the picture is showing. This way we could have hilarious submissions by various artists (and non artists). It'd be functionally similar to how viewing the map on the current map. This would really expand upon general aesthetic where you don't necessarily have to have the poster to look like something in-game, the pop-up would do that for you.
I tried to make an eye chart that fit the new walls and failed miserably.

I did a periodic table though and I like how that looks up in chemistry on cog2.
I'd love to see little piles of trash here and there in maintenance/disposal.

Yellow biohazard bins/resprites of disposal chutes for medbay.
A normal trash can for placing trash/nerds into

Relegious symbols for the chapel

A poster with the security owl on it

A spoon made into a shank for the brig