Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vampire mode in Secret
This is my case for bringing some form of Vampire mode to Secret.
First off, I know Vampire mode is currently listed, it is however non-functional (round does not start).
Secondly, I know vampires are a possibility in Mixed, however the chance to ever be a vampire is extremely limited. From what I can figure, it breaks down into chance of round to be Mixed, chance of player to be antagonist, and something close to 1/4 chance to be a vampire. All told that's very unlikely, and I think that's a shame, and here's why:

Being a vampire is challenging.
-Traitors have no real weaknesses, much better gear than the crew, and only need fear overzealous security guards and heads. Otherwise, if they wish, they can be completely invisible (either literally or figuratively) while they go about their business of causing mischief, death or mayhem.
-Changelings are pretty much invulnerable to everything short of a laser cannon, gibber, or welding torch to the face, and can take out any solitary crew member with ease.
-Wizards. Well wizards have only to fear lag or an army of assistants and a buggy window interface.
-Syndicates: see traitors. Then add a few bombs and friends.

Vampires, on the other hand, have no initial starting advantage. Two minutes into a round a changeling could already be munching its way through half of research, while a vampire will have to figure out which of the available tools in his work area could render a crewmember incapacitated quickly enough that he won't be able to cry out over the radio, and without exposing himself to starlight. Vampires don't even really become more dangerous than your average assistant until after their third victim, at which point the station can become an extremely dangerous place for any lone crewmember wandering around in the dark.
This long delay in power breeds some inventive trapping possibilities without the use of powers. Engineer vampire? sabotage a door off in maintenance to shock random assistants, then feast on them in the dark. Botanist vampire? mix in some deathweed with random joints in the bar, then feed on the dead. or shock the vendermat, find some insulated gloves, and pounce on your fellow botanists when they attempt to order items!

The only real issue I have with the vampire antagonist is the use of invisibility. That, I think, should perhaps be harder to acquire, perhaps at full power, or have some other limitation such as a time limit or continuous blood drain. Oh, that and the monkeyman + medbot exploit, is rather cheap.

Here's a side suggestion that may help deal with late-round Full Power Vampires:
At around the 30-40 mark all the vampires that have been actively hunting should by now have stored up a fair amount of blood, if not reached full power. I suggest then that at a random time between the 25-45 minute round time, a late joining crewmember be randomly selected to be a vampire hunter. Powers and equipment extremely limited, short of a spray of holy water and a some sort of very bright light. Perhaps a near useless whip as a homage to the Castlevania series and an immunity to just hypnotize. Or just give add the outfit to the chaplains little wardrobe, he never has enough to do.

To sum up this post: give me a non-human antagonist with some challenge (I have high hopes for Martian Mode in this as well).
I agree that rolling a vampire should be much more common. It is by far my favorite antagonist role to play mainly because it is so difficult at the start. I don't think that making a vampire hunter role would be necessary, I know vampires can get very powerful, but it is still pretty rare that you find a vampire competent enough that you need another vampire hunter to spawn to take care of it. I mean you already have the Chaplain to worry about, and most HoSes are competent enough to handle powerful vampires providing there is at least one security officer around to help.
kyle2143 Wrote:I don't think that making a vampire hunter role would be necessary.
Yea, that was just a side thought, probably not necessary. Though if the mode was reintroduced, perhaps the chaplain should be given an outfit to suit his paranormal preoccupations. He does so love his outfits.