Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shrapnel Removal: Dig deep into your heart! Literally.
Just like you can give someone CPR or attempt to stop their bleeding, there should be a makeshift way of removing shrapnel and/or bullets (only these two) by shoving your hands in someone's wounds too try fishing out whatever may be stuck in there.

Here's what I propose:

On the help intent, you click yourself or someone else that has a foreign body (not implants!) stuck inside them with an empty hand. What this does is give you a rather slim chance (Let's say 10% chance that it will actually work) to remove the foreign body with your fingers.

The catch is that on every attempt, you deal minor brute damage to yourself or the person whom you're trying to help.

Joe McAssistant shoves his hand into his gaping wound as if he were looking for something! That's gross!
Joe McAssistant can't reach whatever he's trying to get and hurts himself even more!
Joe McAssistant screams!

ALTERNATIVELY

Joe McAssistant shoves his hand into his gaping wound as if he were looking for something! That's weird!
Joe McAssistant pulls a bullet out of his wound!
Joe McAssistant screams!
More questionably useful field medicine like this could be pretty fun! I like the idea of a couple of folks busted up by some explosion/gunman can try and fix themselves up a little if they're too far away from medbay.
Gannets Wrote:More questionably useful field medicine like this could be pretty fun! I like the idea of a couple of folks busted up by some explosion/gunman can try and fix themselves up a little if they're too far away from medbay.

I wish there was more use for improvised surgical tools, aside from "Oh someone stole the scalpel and the fabricator isn't very close so i'll use a glass shard". The fact that you can only perform surgery on surgical tables really removes any necessity to use improvised tools as there is a huge pile of them next to any surgical table. It'd be nice if you could perform surgery on regular tables, or even on the ground using tools you'd carry in a toolbox, or something you can get from the general area. Basically the only improvised tool that is used a lot is the zippo as you can cauterize wounds.
69andahalf Wrote:
Gannets Wrote:More questionably useful field medicine like this could be pretty fun! I like the idea of a couple of folks busted up by some explosion/gunman can try and fix themselves up a little if they're too far away from medbay.

I wish there was more use for improvised surgical tools, aside from "Oh someone stole the scalpel and the fabricator isn't very close so i'll use a glass shard". The fact that you can only perform surgery on surgical tables really removes any necessity to use improvised tools as there is a huge pile of them next to any surgical table. It'd be nice if you could perform surgery on regular tables, or even on the ground using tools you'd carry in a toolbox, or something you can get from the general area. Basically the only improvised tool that is used a lot is the zippo as you can cauterize wounds.

Have you tried a kitchen knife and I think was the chainsaw? Note that your victim has to be unconscious to perform surgery on an ordinary table.
you can also use a fork as a saw
As a Head Surgeon I've asked barman to get me drunk so I could remove bullets from myself with a glass shard. I don't recall if it worked but it was funny at the time.

I feel like more Medical Mcgyvering would be cool.

I kinda wish ducktape wasn't exclusively a traitor item, would be neat to scrounge up bedsheets and ducktape into impromptu bandages. Also heating knives to sterilize them so you can increase the chances of ghetto surgery success (while also introducing burn damage) might be fun.
atomic1fire Wrote:I kinda wish ducktape wasn't exclusively a traitor item, would be neat to scrounge up bedsheets and ducktape into impromptu bandages. Also heating knives to sterilize them so you can increase the chances of ghetto surgery success (while also introducing burn damage) might be fun.
Ducktape could be a great thing. It'd be cool if windows could get cracks and walls could get holes. if engineers couldnt get there, you could always just ducktape it...
It'd also make the shoes + emergency oxygentank recipe make more sense.
I think we could also perhaps have a new trait that would increase the chances of success for these ghetto surgeries and call it "Combat Medic" or something.
69andahalf Wrote:I wish there was more use for improvised surgical tools, aside from "Oh someone stole the scalpel and the fabricator isn't very close so i'll use a glass shard". The fact that you can only perform surgery on surgical tables really removes any necessity to use improvised tools as there is a huge pile of them next to any surgical table. It'd be nice if you could perform surgery on regular tables, or even on the ground using tools you'd carry in a toolbox, or something you can get from the general area. Basically the only improvised tool that is used a lot is the zippo as you can cauterize wounds.
you can also use beds in place of surgical tables, and unlike tables you don't have to KO someone for it to work

Carlarc Wrote:you can also use a fork as a saw
yes. don't ask me how that works, it just does.

atomic1fire Wrote:As a Head Surgeon I've asked barman to get me drunk so I could remove bullets from myself with a glass shard. I don't recall if it worked but it was funny at the time.

I feel like more Medical Mcgyvering would be cool.

I kinda wish ducktape wasn't exclusively a traitor item, would be neat to scrounge up bedsheets and ducktape into impromptu bandages. Also heating knives to sterilize them so you can increase the chances of ghetto surgery success (while also introducing burn damage) might be fun.
I'd like to add more impromptu surgery stuff, yeah.
I wouldn't be surprised if removing shrapnel didn't work during drunk surgery for whatever goddamn reason, surgery code is a horrible spaghetti mess right now.

I had hoped to start a surgery rewrite with SpyGuy since he's visiting IRL right now, but we got caught up in just relaxing and doing a bunch of dumb couple bullshit instead (no regrets)
it desperately needs a rewrite, though. one day we'll manage it, ~one day~
until then I'll just tack on more crap to the mess we have
Haine Wrote:surgery code is a horrible spaghetti mess right now

[Image: Girl-holding-spaghetti-009.jpg]

It also might be a good idea to remove non-drunk self surgery by just clicking real fast when getting up/laying down
ErikHanson Wrote:
Haine Wrote:surgery code is a horrible spaghetti mess right now

It also might be a good idea to remove non-drunk self surgery by just clicking real fast when getting up/laying down
That's been confirmed as a feature previously:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2988
I also think that having shrapnel in your body should be a much bigger deal than it is right now. It's a mild inconvenience at worst right now.
Winklabom Wrote:I also think that having shrapnel in your body should be a much bigger deal than it is right now. It's a mild inconvenience at worst right now.
Eh, I don't think so.
It's already a mess to get someone to remove it for you, having it be worse and be a traitor at the same time, you're probably fucked
Yeah I'd be super sad if that left. Especially considering the drunk surgery doesn't actually work all the way. It will only let you replace your limbs with flesh limbs, not robotic ones or or treads / even wendigo arms or anything.
Kayle7 Wrote:Yeah I'd be super sad if that left. Especially considering the drunk surgery doesn't actually work all the way. It will only let you replace your limbs with flesh limbs, not robotic ones or or treads / even wendigo arms or anything.

Uhh... i have replaced my arm with a wendigo arm before?