Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explosions being hecka weak
So yesterday I was testing out chem shit as usual, and I decided to fiddle with explosions. I blew up 15 monkeys with 3 explosions each (Potassium + Water, ClF3 + ClF4 Chlorine Azide) for a total of 45 explosions, and I put a live monkey directly adjacent to the exploding monkeys. The monkey survived with literally 0 brute damage done and only slightly major burn damage from the resulting flame. This has been the case for every single chemistry made explosion I've tried in the last week. Is this a bug or an intended nerf to explosions? I certainly remember explosions being actually mildly useful.
Those chemicals don't really make the largest bangs you can get.

Chlorine Azide - 4x4 low severity
Potassium Explosion - 1x1 low severity

They also don't scale with volume, you might want to look into getting better chemicals.
ErikHanson Wrote:Those chemicals don't really make the largest bangs you can get.

Chlorine Azide - 4x4 low severity
Potassium Explosion - 1x1 low severity

They also don't scale with volume, you might want to look into getting better chemicals.

I'm more into the idea of: if it blows off your limbs, it should do some measurable amount of damage. I blew up an entire test chamber with a monkey in it and the monkey wasn't even injured. I don't really care that there are chemicals that are stronger than these, because that can be said for anything that isn't at the pinnacle of its creation (canister bombs > tank transfer bombs for example) and is a goofy argument for why something is bad. The numbers generated by these limb removing, turf destroying, fire igniting explosions in the way of brute damage are literally 0 and I can't fathom how that could be intended and not just an oversight.

As it stands, from what I've seen, every single synthesizable chemical explosive besides black powder is actually useless when it comes to damage. Crank, Ni3, Potassium/Barium/Magnesium explosions, ClF3 + ClF4 all produce 0 damage explosions. I'm not complaining about/testifying for low damage values, I'm doing it for no damage values, as any number above 0 is actually possible to work with.
Explosions doing 0 damage sounds very much like a bug. I'm aware that most of these were nerfed, especially azide, but they still did some damage the last time I tried.
A chlorine azide explosion gave me some burn; no brute. The burn had more to do with the tiles exposed to space.

Still, potassium or magnesium explosions have been more along the lines of prank explosions for me. NI3 is annoying to use, but the effect is still neat and unique. It's uses are more limited and specialized. Azide? That's the 'here's the sarin recipe' chem.

I could see arguments for beefing azide or NI3, but I can also see opposing arguments.

On a side note: Pipebomb order of power apparently goes like this: "phlogiston, CLF3, black powder or NI3" -- yet I find that NI3 is really weak. Like, welding fuel weak. Or did. Maybe this is just a bug I ran into.
It's been fixed.