Redbeard Rum the amazing and wonderful Head of Security.
Usual Character Name: Redbeard Rum
BYOND Username: Divine Soldier
Recommended by (if applicable): None, I decided at a single moment with no exterior encouragement, only my own extreme determination! (also, SL the Pyro, but that was after I wrote that extreme message).
Times Available: All day every day (my sleeping pattern rotates, however, I am rarely availabe more than 12-14 hours a day because of my poor sleeping pattern)

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): I have played security many many times, in many different ways - I've never recieved a complaint about my playstyle, no matter whether it was focused on catching traitors in a particular way, or enforcing a particular style of law, at least, as far as I can remember. I've had complaints about me shitting up deadchat while drinking, but if they were about my playstyle, I'm sure they were pre-redbeard rum, or at least pre-2014/2015. As a result of this and the following examples, when I saw events either described by fellow sec officers, or by myself, in the past, I felt inclined to add my 'pro arrest' attitude to the pool of HoSes. My first example is when I was only a chaplain, and a security officer, unnamed, confessed that he had no means to arrest simple law-breakers or severe criminals without many decrying his effort to catch such escapees-of-the-law, due to the current attitude towards sec officers. My second example is of a simple round wthout a HoS where by some luck, my bluff of being the HoS was buffed by the head of personnel, and the security seemed both resentful of acknowledging someone I'd arresting myself (someone who ran into the brig themself, as a joke) and of arresting people of simple assaults (by the same person) - the brig sentence having yet to be given; I suppose you could say this is a measure of the new goon community, but I believe the golden age of LLJK was born of a balance between freedom, and "griff". Overall, I would spend my rounds as a HoS encouraging security to do fun security related things like enforcing particular laws, confronting criminals in a particular manner (eg. in an "assault" manner, utilising smoke grenades and flash bangs before confronting an entrenched group, or on attempting to focus the security crew on fight a threat that we were currently aware of, such as a blob), since they tend to do very little at the moment.

Security Experience (300 word minimum): I've spent many rounds in security over my days of playing. I spent quite a few days, and thus many rounds, playing as security, pre-mentor, on mushroom station, though I'd played it before then, but it was only then that I had cared about playing well, or being a good player in general. Since then, I've taken great care to ensure that as a security player, I not only avoided acting as a traitor would regarding the enjoyment of other players, but also as an appropriate enforcer for each punishment given. I often try to vary my play style, from acting as the “tech” forcer (not as in pd2 with extra armour, but rather updating the previously often unused sectech executable with arrest warrants, and details on each arrest – often potential arrest details, in the case we don’t arrest anyone, since a pool of evidence is the best non-aggressive method to void a traitor’s innocence, if they’re being sneaky), to combating traitors head on with the tools of the trade – flashbangs, smoke grenades, and blue uniforms, demonstrating that both my willingness to capture traitors who decide to capture points of the station/traitors who think they’re capable of beating security in a fight on their lonesome, and my ability are enough to defeat all offenders of the law. I’ve spent so many rounds as security that I no longer remember the small things early on, so as far as getting prepared for a round or carrying additional cuffs goes, I’m well rehearsed. If the approach to sec vs. assistant/traitor changes, I’m ready to adapt to it, rather than enforce my own views.

I know the tricks of the traitor trade well, truly so. I know to check any disposal unit with a green light, to search them and remove their utility belts (*stares at most heads of security*). I’m not sure if it’s important anymore, but I also understand the importance of not executing every traitor on site; I would happily give any traitor a chance as long as they hadn’t been clearly convicted of excessively attacking the station/station crew, but I understand the balance needed between evidence and punishment; I wouldn’t arrest someone just because someone shouted “Some Jerk absorbed me!”, although I’d be tempted to.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc): Doesn’t have enough criminals. Doesn’t have anyone, really. But that’s a cultural/player-side thing. Besides that, I can’t gauge the brig since it’s very rarely used these days.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): I wasn't banned for this, and I don't believe I had a note for it, or at least, it was removed, but during mushroom station, I blew up an AI for ignoring my requests to stop interfering with my price adjustments when I was an head of personnel multiple times. My apologies for that (and the large amount of commas, haha). I was once banned for 6 hours for shitting up deadchat in approx. 2014, possibly early 2015, by Wonkmin, I believe, after I had drunk far too much. I have also received a warning for… speaking of ingame matters, that is, metagaming, back when the ‘larium was a secret, due to a spur-of-the-moment choice to respond to a mentorhelp when someone was working with me.

disclaimer: I may have been very very drunk when I posted this. Goodness, I hope this goes well.
totally yes, aside from your pretty stellar application you have consistently been great to have as Sec whenever I've been HoS
Yes from rounds I've played with you as security, you are a great officer and outside of security you are a fun person to have around and your drunk ramblings in deadchat makes being dead less boring. Give him the beret.
Yep
You do seem to play while drinking a lot.

Quote:disclaimer: I may have been very very drunk when I posted this.

Astonished stare

You're a good player normally iirc.
Redbeard is a fun person to play with and would be a good HoS.
I can't support this, as he's got this kinda weird/creepy attitude towards me pretty much any time I come into deadchat and he's on. To the point that I don't like talking in the deadchat when he's about because I know he's going to start up again. His only explanation has been that I made a joke about him saying "uh" a lot in some years old post.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:I can't support this, as he's got this kinda weird/creepy attitude towards me pretty much any time I come into deadchat and he's on. To the point that I don't like talking in the deadchat when he's about because I know he's going to start up again. His only explanation has been that I made a joke about him saying "uh" a lot in some years old post.
What does someone's attitude have to do how we'll they play security? I only though in my opinion on his dead hat stuff as a bonus and before hand I talk about my security experience with him first. How someone talks to you in deadchat should not factor in a HoS app as it has nothing to do with it.
I apologize for the typos I posted that and this from my phone.
What does someone's attitude in deadchat have to do how we'll they play security? I only threw in my opinion on his deadchat stuff as a bonus and before hand I talk about my security experience with him first. How someone talks to you in deadchat should not factor in a HoS app as it has nothing to do with it.
Ed Venture Wrote:What does someone's attitude in deadchat have to do how we'll they play security? I only threw in my opinion on his deadchat stuff as a bonus and before hand I talk about my security experience with him first. How someone talks to you in deadchat should not factor in a HoS app as it has nothing to do with it.
I just feel like somebody who carries a fairly dumb sounding grudge for what appears to be years shouldn't get the authority of being an HoS. If y'all feel like that's not a problem, it's up to y'all, just wanted to weigh in.
It honestly does not seem like a grudge to me since it's in deadchat but enough rambling from me.
there really needs to be a edit button
I thought you were already a HoS.

I could've SWORN I've seen you wearing the beret and uniform.
Yes for the drunkest HoS.

As an extra, he can regularly be seen on at times when there generally are no security. An active HoS makes the difference of night and day at those times.
Yes, but only wear the beret while drunk, the other ten percent of the time do something else.

I think Redbeard Rum is great for the role. Not to serious, pretty courteous to everyone while a slight bit of an ass to all equally. BlackPhoenix has got thin skin for a guy that pops into every other ban thread (drastic exaggeration) dredging up old slights he remembers. Besides if black did fire the first salvo he can't bitch when it doesn't end when he wants it too.

Anyhow, in general Redbeard's conduct, knowledge of the game, and general likeability make him great for the role.