Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Improved Fire Alarms! Now with grenades?
New and improved fire alarms! Now with built in sprinkler systems to fight fires, and metal foaming devices to seal hull breaches and keep our precious precious oxygen from leaking out into the depths of space.

Instead of the current fire alarm hacking process (wirecutters to disable the fire alarm, or to fix the fire alarm), put in an entire APC or Door style hacking window using the usual tools.

1. Fire Detection Wire: When cut, the fire alarm does not detect fires. Whenever fire is detected in this room, the alarm pulses, potentially triggering attached signalers. Pulsing this wire (manually or otherwise) triggers the fire alarm sound, closes the fire locks and makes the sprinkler beaker spray its contents in every direction, like the "spray all around" option on a fire extinguisher.
2. Sprinkler Wire: Each fire alarm contains one beaker. By default, this is a 50 unit beaker of water. When cut, the sprinkler beaker for the room is disabled and will not work. When pulsed, the current beaker is ejected from the fire alarm for replacement.
3. Atmos Interface Wire: When cut, the firelocks in this room do not respond to atmospherics alerts. Whenever low pressure is detected in this room, the alarm pulses, potentially triggering attached signalers. Pulsing this wire (manually or otherwise) triggers the firelocks, detonates the grenade in the sealant grenade slot but makes no alarm.
4. Sealant Wire: Each fire alarm also contains a single grenade. By default, there is a metal foam grenade here. But you can switch it out with different grenades, or even pipe bombs. Cutting this wire prevents the grenade from being set off when there is an atmos alert for the room. When pulsed, the current grenade is ejected from the fire alarm for replacement.
5. AI Control Wire: Toggles AI control of the firelocks, just like an APC. Cut is permanent, pulsed is for 30 seconds. Like an APC, the AI cannot hack the fire lock to regain control. Unlike the APC, the AI can manually toggle the firelocks individually regardless of the status of this wire.

Why this is a good idea:
-Fire sprinklers extinguishing you after an unfortunate chemistry and/or flamethrower accident!
-Fire sprinklers soaking both the detective and the floor with water as he chain smokes through the hallways.
-Rooms becoming significantly less likely to be depressurized by holes in the floor, preventing suffocation, slow movement and server lag.
-Busywork for fire safety engineers who want to upgrade the sprinkler system to use firefighting foam.
-Traitors using that last one as an excuse to replace the water in the sprinklers with napalm!
-The Janitor replacing the metal foam grenades with cleaning grenades so that at least you'll be clean while you suffocate.
-Traitors replacing the hull sealant with explosives! Because one hull breach apparently wasn't enough.
Grek Wrote:-The Janitor replacing the metal foam grenades with cleaning grenades so that at least you'll be clean while you suffocate.
This is a good reason.
I am all over this. Space Fire Alarms with luxurious sprinkler functionality! Also most people who remember to throw metal foam grenades at all are the ones busy suffocating so there's that.
More ability to sabotage would be nice. I would reccomend having the sprinklers slowly generate water though. so you dont have to manually replace the beaker every time it is triggered. it should be able to be turned off however so you can still replace the beaker. think like how medibots work.
10/10 idea I support it
I fully support the sprinkler idea, make minor fires less of a hazard and big ones easier to fight while simultaneously providing a new and imaginative way to perform sabotage. Also gives a great use for the fire alarm delay function if you can get that to fire the sprinklers.

Insert ClF3 thermite phlogiston welding fuel beaker, set sprinklers to activate with the fire alarm, set timer to 30 seconds, run.
Yes please, more interesting ways to mess with wiring and set traps is a must.
Remmon Wrote:I fully support the sprinkler idea, make minor fires less of a hazard and big ones easier to fight while simultaneously providing a new and imaginative way to perform sabotage. Also gives a great use for the fire alarm delay function if you can get that to fire the sprinklers.

Insert ClF3 thermite phlogiston welding fuel beaker, set sprinklers to activate with the fire alarm, set timer to 30 seconds, run.
That timer also would make sense, since not all fires would immediately need the sprinklers to go off. It might get put out before that with extinguishers.
I was thinking more of the timer you currently have, where you can set a fire alarm to go off in x seconds, press the button and run away. But all it does is close the fire doors and give whoever you locked in a momentary inconvenience unless they're about to be in horrible peril. It is REALLY hard to time to make use of.
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant a delay between when fire is detected and how long it waits before it trips the sprinklers/doors so that it doesn't go off every time someone passes by with a cigarette, but could also be rigged to feed a fire or eliminate first responders with toxins.
I am 110% on board with this.
I'm generally always on board with any idea that deals with fire alarm related objects. They're just a nuisance as they are.

In the very least I think that fire alarms should overlap in a way that they can be reset on both sides of every door, with a short timer before they fall again.
This is a great idea.

Emagging it should constantly either throw out water to make the surrounding floor slippery OR spawn lots and lots of grenades.
Grek Wrote:-The Janitor replacing the metal foam grenades with cleaning grenades so that at least you'll be clean while you suffocate.
Could also make it so that the foam and water thing is a container instead. More ways to screw with it if you do that.