Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In-game internet, social media, and PDA's
So, there's an ingame internet, but doesn't get enough use. Some new things to do with it would be great.

One idea, inspired by this post from this thread: http://forum.ss13.co/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5769

salix_catus Wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PDA imageboard
to make this work there would need to be a camera PDA module.

in messages there would be a section labeled something more imaginative than "imageboard"

any images you take with pda camera automatically get uploaded to the image board, which can then be commented on.

This would be pretty funny. would be moderated by research director. (via special pda software that you need RD access to access)

Imagined uses:
clown spams loads of banana pictures and gets banned by RD. Clown gets revenge and steals RDs pda and ID and continues spam
Security put up wanted posters
botany advertise their new crop of omegaweed
Staff assistant puts up live pictures from wrestling match
syndicate make fake reports

Give every crew member and the departments a blog, with crew working in a department able to post to either the departments or their personal one. Heads can admin their departments blog and edit posts as well as remove or add posting privileges. They can make text and photo posts to it, and other crew members can use their PDA's to look at them or subscribe to it for updates similar to PDA messages.

It could be used as another way for the crew to inform each other of the goings on of the station. The captain can subscribe to the different departments blogs for updates of their current status, people could subscribe to Sec for updates on potential dangers to look out for, or you could just follow amusing people like the Clown. Would certainly make the journalist job a lot easier, and the idea of crew taking and posting selfies would be great. Maybe include a "like" button, with the most liked text and photo post during the round displayed at the end.
Isnt the station internet insanely hard to use because it is based on DWAINE or ThinkDOS? Which means that only a select few nerds even know that it exists let alone know how to use it, just like the internet was when it first started? simply making the station net easier to use would be a nice addition.
I want space station twitter so I can let the whole crew know that Randy Archer is an unrobust nerd.
Space tumblr
Space tumblr
This is a really good idea, I too want some space-age social media.
Beebo.

Goongle Plus.
Cool idea, but would anyone ever use it?
Too fancy for my tastes. I like how the systems are somewhat esoteric. It further pushes the thought that we're all undesirables who are probably assigned to Station 13 for the express purpose of being test subjects in some deadly social experiments.

On the other hand, a space BBS would probably fit in nicely. A nightmare to code, I bet. Still, neato. All of this stuff will basically run the same problem that we have will the mailserver. It's just not very compatible with a station that will only last 2 hours (MAX), and generally by 50 minutes in we have holes in the network due to explosions or power loss. This could be mitigated if these sorts of things could be made cross-round, but I don't even know if that would be possible. Otherwise it'll likely be 'a neat thing that people won't use'.

Well, the real thing that kills email is PDA messaging.

I do agree that there isn't much to do within the network. The most interesting things you can do on the wired network are: messing with buddys, messing with telsci, messing with the shuttle, and messaging the AI. I guess there's the nuke too, but that's more for messing with new people unless you want to go through all of the hoops for something that is less than (IIRC) a max canister bomb.
ErikHanson Wrote:Cool idea, but would anyone ever use it?
Probably not all the time. I think if you were auto subscribed to your department and the Sec one at round start, maybe more so. That would probably make up the majority of the use.

What would be nice about it that it would notify everyone who wanted to be notified, while also being able to be brought up and referenced at any point.
i would use this all the time if it were integrated with goon hub
I think it might be kinda cool if you could take photos with a pda app and then send them to people viewable in the chat box.

e.g traitor? Take a photo and send to security.

Also the ability to create a group of "friends" to send junk to in bulk (with limits) might be neat.

"Ay I went to the void on a space vacation and look what cool thing I found" CLICK TO EXPAND PHOTO.

I'd rather have some kind of photo expando so spacecation pics don't eat up the chat box.
mozi Wrote:i would use this all the time if it were integrated with goon hub

A timeline for all the stations would be fabulous.

And great for post-round posterity.
Anticheese Wrote:
mozi Wrote:i would use this all the time if it were integrated with goon hub

A timeline for all the stations would be fabulous.

And great for post-round posterity.
Oh man, yes, that would be great. It'd mostly just be text and the few photos people take, not too enormous, I think. I like this idea. It seems like it'd promote some interaction and information on the station.
I'd be for this. Perhaps there could be a way to download malicious programs to infect the various computers on the station?