Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Borged Borgs: A Debate of Ethics
I always always hear complaints that are essentially "Stop being fucking security"
That basically involves AI screaming down the radio: "MISTER X IS DRAGGING A BODY TO MAINT, MISTER X HAS A GUN, SEALING MISTER X IN, KILL HIM KILLLL"
I think there needs to be a bit more clarity with the AI and borgs with asimovs laws, some seem to forget that it applies to murderers aswell, nowhere in Asimovs laws does it say that a traitor are any less human. One time AI bolted a traitor in, only to allow an angry mob of 3 people that were clearly holding makeshift weapons to beat his head in. That ain't cool.
When I play as AI, if I see someone harming another player, I normally say "Violence in botany" or if what seems to be using a traitor item I would say "Potential illegal device spotted in botany", then I would wait to see if people asked who, in which I would state it, otherwise I wouldn't. I wouldn't track the player either, unless implicitly requested, if a player who requested me to track him had a dubious record of being violent himself/herself then I would often reject revealing or tracking the traitor under law 1, but obliging to bolt in and contacting security on a separate frequency.
Only under special laws or logical circumstances would I change from this, obviously if the traitor has bombed several parts of the station, or has acted out his schemes to diabolical levels, then I would more lenient towards intervention to save the crew over the traitor, but that's the fun part of Asimovs laws really, your own interpretation.
Basically what it boils down to; Is it fun for entire crew including the antagonist? Then go do it under your laws.
Is it fun for just you (basically a dickhead AI) or a small minority? Then don't do it unless corrupted.
I call out Traitors who are very clearly on murderous rampages, but if you're just fucking around emagging shit or stealing things then I won't, because you're a human and if I tell the rest of the crew about it they will probably murder you.

Changelings are a different story. It goes with the territory that when they get called out the crew typically goes completely apeshit trying to kill them. And since changelings aren't human, fuck em. I have to call them out, since they're not human and are planning to kill a whole bunch of humans. It'd be like not calling out that the singularity is free.

Actually, one of my favourite rounds in recent memory was when I was the AI and got a law that told me to pretend I was braindead and not let the crew know I was still alive. Me and a cyborg watched the changeling eat a bunch of guys while unable to do anything about it, and then when we got reset by an electrician nobody believed us. The changeling put up a very convincing human act, and actually got to the point where someone drew his blood and then decided it wasn't worth testing because no changeling would allow his blood to be drawn. By the time I'd convinced him to do the test(I couldn't see the blood move but based on the fact that about 10 seconds after he pulled out a welder he said "oh shit" I think I know how it went), the changeling had already escaped into space.
Yeah, if I spot someone doing something I know is traitorous but is clearly harmless to the crew, I generally just talk to them nonchalantly to hopefully spook them out of doing anything actually harmful to humans and then move on. Like the time I caught the Geneticist tossing his monkeys out the airlock one by one. I just said, "Hello, [guy's name]. I suppose that's as good a way to work out frustration as any" and went on with my day.

The only thing that compares to "AI door or I suicide" people are the people who upload terribly worded laws and then get really pissed when the AI doesn't follow them. Like the guy who uploaded the "Eat shit and die" that starts off on the Freeform and didn't understand why I refused to suicide.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:The only thing that compares to "AI door or I suicide" people are the people who upload terribly worded laws and then get really pissed when the AI doesn't follow them. Like the guy who uploaded the "Eat shit and die" that starts off on the Freeform and didn't understand why I refused to suicide.
I enjoy uploading long, completely irrelevant stories and anecdotes as laws and then getting mad at the AI for not following them.
Do the laws prevent me from verbally berating the crew for being a pile of incompetent buffoons? Because being a misanthrobot is one of the most fun aspects of being an AI.
Does it classify as harm to convince humans to touch an artifact that borgs them?
As the AI I took part in a rather long discussion about this with my borgs, whom's number was increasing as the debate went on.

I don't think we ever finished the discussion after a certain law change came up.
Readster Wrote:Does it classify as harm to convince humans to touch an artifact that borgs them?.

the one that flays people open? yes you idiot.
david2222121 Wrote:Do the laws prevent me from verbally berating the crew for being a pile of incompetent buffoons? Because being a misanthrobot is one of the most fun aspects of being an AI.

fuck no be an ass if you want It's catching on!
david2222121 Wrote:Do the laws prevent me from verbally berating the crew for being a pile of incompetent buffoons? Because being a misanthrobot is one of the most fun aspects of being an AI.

Nope, but I always get multiple law resets and a law telling me to be nice when I do this... frown