Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera Implants!
Cogwerks his new camera system for cogmap2 got me thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a surgical implant that can be implanted by robotics, or medbay that allows you to broadcast anything you see, live to the SS13 camera network! Think about the cool gimmicks, and possible uses those things can have.
So basically, it'd give anyone with access to a camera monitor the ability to track the person?

I really like this idea, and in addition to the fun gimmicks, it's actually extremely practical. Security can implant them into released criminals so they can keep track of them more easily, the command staff can implant themselves so security can rescue them more easily...this has a lot of uses, and with the hulking mass of Cogmap2 on the horizon, this sounds like an idea that would help alleviate some of the concerns about security being able to do their jobs and cover more ground.
I'd rather have cybernetic eyes (a type of them) do this instead of an implant, but installation might be a little too involved.

Heck. I'd like it if we could track borgs in this fashion for that matter.
BaneOfGiygas Wrote:So basically, it'd give anyone with access to a camera monitor the ability to track the person?

I really like this idea, and in addition to the fun gimmicks, it's actually extremely practical. Security can implant them into released criminals so they can keep track of them more easily, the command staff can implant themselves so security can rescue them more easily...this has a lot of uses, and with the hulking mass of Cogmap2 on the horizon, this sounds like an idea that would help alleviate some of the concerns about security being able to do their jobs and cover more ground.

I'd personally like to see them as something that needs to be embedded in the brain, and has a normal and deluxe version (aka, cheap shitty crappy version made in china, and bought via cargo, and expensive version that requires mining) so you dont end up with security embedding the ENTIRE FUCKING CREW with this thing.
Well, I'd say that the nature of camera monitors balances it out in and of itself. There's only so many of the things to go around, and spending your time buried with your face in a monitor is a good way to get ambushed and robbed by an enterprising assistant. It's more a thing that security would be able to peek at every now and then to check that the implantee is safe and/or not up to any trouble, making keeping track of people easier and lessening both security's need to try patrolling the entire station and the AI's load.
A larger station means intel gathering is going to be pretty important for Sec and the Detective. A variety of spying gear would be nice. I'd also love something like a bug that does video and audio, automatically transmitting the kind of text someone would see if they were there witnessing and hearing it.
Vitatroll Wrote:I'd rather have cybernetic eyes (a type of them) do this instead of an implant, but installation might be a little too involved.

Heck. I'd like it if we could track borgs in this fashion for that matter.

The AI can already track borgs from the robot camera list so the capability is already there, it would just be a matter of making them accessible from other monitors.
This should already be a thing, nobody wears the helmet cams anyway
poland spring Wrote:This should already be a thing, nobody wears the helmet cams anyway

This actually works out. The helmet cam is almost only used for telesci scouting. Not a lot of people actually gear up with it.

But a problem I see is that if you can check up on someone with an implant simply by viewing them on the TV or whatever, this would make the traitors job MUCH harder if key players (captain, heads of staff) have implant themselves. So maybe the signal should cut out pretty easily if the person gets hurt? Maybe takes a second or two to reconfigure? I don't know...something. Or maybe it just displays still images from time to time?

That's my only worry. Other than that, I like the idea, if only for some more implants.
Waffles64 Wrote:
poland spring Wrote:This should already be a thing, nobody wears the helmet cams anyway

This actually works out. The helmet cam is almost only used for telesci scouting. Not a lot of people actually gear up with it.

But a problem I see is that if you can check up on someone with an implant simply by viewing them on the TV or whatever, this would make the traitors job MUCH harder if key players (captain, heads of staff) have implant themselves. So maybe the signal should cut out pretty easily if the person gets hurt? Maybe takes a second or two to reconfigure? I don't know...something. Or maybe it just displays still images from time to time?

That's my only worry. Other than that, I like the idea, if only for some more implants.

traitors get alot of shit in their favor. if they get caught by a camera there is still a lag time between security seeing you and them getting there. and if they actually take precaution they can hide their identity. more intelligence gathering for security would make goonstation security not a joke like it used to be, plus it would mean traitors would take a bit more effort.
Dr_Bee Wrote:
Waffles64 Wrote:

traitors get alot of shit in their favor. if they get caught by a camera there is still a lag time between security seeing you and them getting there. and if they actually take precaution they can hide their identity. more intelligence gathering for security would make goonstation security not a joke like it used to be, plus it would mean traitors would take a bit more effort.

I'm just saying, what if someone randomly asks "Where's HoP?" and then the crew swaps to the HoP's view (who in this example let's say has the implant) and they all see his body being chewed on by a ling. I mean it doesn't matter where that ling dragged the body, if that body has an implant he is immediately compromised. And how would the ling even know the body had an implant in the first place? So unless they are in limited quantity so BASICALLY only the heads get one...I think it'd be too easy to catch traitors.
Now where is that Get Ou -cough-
Nah just kidding

Maybe allow you to view those tripod cameras wirelessly instead?
I think there's two ways to go about it:

a) If you want an implant that allows you to track people on camera, have it act like the AI's tracking capabilities: a PDA program that tells you where the implanted person is, and trying to track them via the camera system will follow them via the nearest physical camera, similar to the AI. A sneaky ling can get around this the same way they get around the AI tracking them, by remembering camera blind spots and cutting cameras.

b) If you want a mass-produceable way for people to broadcast their actions, make it either an actual physical item people wear, like the helmetcam or Google Glass, or cybernetic eyes that have to be installed. The former allows antags to get around it by tugging it off if they're paying attention, and the time and effort involved with installing the latter means it'll be harder to have a majority of the crew outfitted with them. Also if the person is blinded/unconscious then the latter ought to not show anything.
Bring on the camera implants. As far as it revealing traitors: No it won't. Smart traitors will just cover their faces and hide their IDs when committing crimes.
Waffles64 Wrote:
Dr_Bee Wrote:traitors get alot of shit in their favor. if they get caught by a camera there is still a lag time between security seeing you and them getting there. and if they actually take precaution they can hide their identity. more intelligence gathering for security would make goonstation security not a joke like it used to be, plus it would mean traitors would take a bit more effort.

I'm just saying, what if someone randomly asks "Where's HoP?" and then the crew swaps to the HoP's view (who in this example let's say has the implant) and they all see his body being chewed on by a ling. I mean it doesn't matter where that ling dragged the body, if that body has an implant he is immediately compromised. And how would the ling even know the body had an implant in the first place? So unless they are in limited quantity so BASICALLY only the heads get one...I think it'd be too easy to catch traitors.

BAD traitors, it would be easy to catch BAD traitors. there are MANY MANY ways to murder someone before anyone has time to respond and gib the corpse, plus hiding your ID is as easy as a gas mask and taking off your mask. It would make traitors take care in what they do. which is a good thing.