Mentor Application: ErikHanson - Clark Clarkson
Usual Character Name: Clark Clarkson, past: Erik Hanson
BYOND Username: Erikhanson
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Times Available: Most of the day + evening, GMT+1

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):
While i might not have the playtime of your average mentor, of the average popularity ingame, i do have the mindset and knowledge that makes a great mentor, and i'm quite sure that there are several developers and administrators that can vouch for that fact that i've been a great help for the past few weeks on the front of keeping track, and maintaining a secret list of all exploits, and issues that i've discovered during my playtime.

The knowledge that i've gathered in the past few months is fairly substantial. i'm pretty competent within engineering, mechanics, science, i'm totally obsessed with telescience, botany, chemistry and running weird gimmicks, such as shoving a heapload of bees into escape, giving away inf cash, or sending pictures via the PDA system, yes that was me! Besides that i love to show people the quirky things that made me fall in love with goonstation.

Even tough i have less playtime than some of the average mentors, or admins, i do have a lot of knowledge about the game due to the fact that i've spent most of my time on #1 with other friends, and random people figuring out the good ending to the solarium, and playing around with other mechanics, my job preferences are always set to random, with the exception of AI and Cyborg being disabled, i strongly dislike playing a silicon due to the fact that it's generally a lot harder to do chemistry, and other tasks.

I'm also someone who lurks on the IRC, Both SA threads, the forum, and i'm also one of those turbonerds that likes to spend 8 hours on #1 trying to figure out where the good ending to the solarium is.

I'm well aware that this application might fail badly, but i truly think that i would be good mentorship material due to the fact that i have a extensive knowledge about the entire game, its engine, and the fact that i truly like helping people.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): Two bans, and one note, one of the bans has been lifted the same day due to some mis-communication.
Clark is a very good player, and without a doubt knows his stuff enough to handle the purple text, mentor he.

The PDA image thing makes me cry tho.
While I can't deny that you have enough knowledge to help dudes out, I don't think you are mentor material. You seem far too dedicated to finding exploits that will make the game tough for others to play. Like anything that you did with PDA's, or whatever you did the other day to crash the servers. I don't really see making the game tough to play, or crashing the servers as an achievement. I'm also not terribly confident you would not just ignore players who mentor help, nor do I trust you to not metagame . All in all, i'm going to have to say no on this one.
Vunterslaush Wrote:You seem far too dedicated to finding exploits that will make the game tough for others to play.
I haven't exploited, or abused any of the exploits i found in the past, all the bugs, and exploits i found have been reported, and have since been fixed, there have been several things i found that i used as a small gimmick after approval, such as the PDA image thing, i'm extremely sorry if that happened to crash your client.
In Erik's defense, BYOND is notorious for shitting itself over the weirdest things. That said, however, I will say that I'm hesitant as well. While quite knowledgeable on the workings of the game and a pretty good player overall, it's mainly an attitude thing. It's not being a good player that I'm questioning, it's your willingness to help other players, something that I haven't quite seen demonstrated from you, since you've been more of the type of fellow to run around focusing on your own wacky experiments.

In spite of that, however, I'm going to give a yes, albeit a shaky yes. You most definitely meet the qualifications as far as knowledge and interaction with the community goes, and while a bit rambunctious, you don't seem like a shitty person. I feel better saying yes and letting the situation play itself out instead of going ahead and flat-out rejecting.
You of all people certainly know your shit and I can really see you helping other people. A 100% yes from me.
Vunterslaush Wrote:You seem far too dedicated to finding exploits that will make the game tough for others to play.

From my experience he's more into finding exploits so he can report them to the coders. He's an A++ bugtester and he knows his shit. I vote for purple!
From what I've seen of you in #sol, I'd say you're very knowledgeable.

That having been said, you do seem rather impulsive.

A tentative yes from me on mentorship, but I'd suggest waiting a few months before applying for HoS.
This guy definitely knows what he's doing. I'd give him a Yes.
This guy most definitely knows a lot of stuff and I'd say that we should give him the Purple.

However, he does tend to play -really- aggressively from time to time but then again, who doesn't?
Though you're generally nice and polite enough to me in game, I can't say that I've ever seen you really going out of your way to help others, and have in the past straight up ignored people to focus on researching solarium stuff. While I have no problem with this, I do feel like the requirement to mentorhood is going out of your way to teach others and be a role model.
I can't see any harm in him being a mentor.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:I can't see any harm in him being a mentor.
This, basically.

It's not an HoS app. Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but mentors are a dime a dozen these days. All it takes is some experience, recognition, and a reputation that isn't 'shitlorde'. Well, he knows his shit, he's obviously known, and he's far from what I'd call a shitlorde. There are plenty of mentors that are aggressive or powergamey - moreso than I've seen from Erik. If we can trust them then I don't see why he can't be trusted.
I have to agree if he knows his stuff ( and he does) and if wants to use his knowledge to help other players then There is no harm in letting him help out. I don't feel like he would ignore mentor rope cause what reason would there be for him to apply for mentor if he did not want to help and no I don't think having purple text is enough of a a reason to try and deceive us. Not all mentors know the things others do so the more the merrier. So I vote yes.