Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reinforcing atmospherics pipes and materials via chemicals.
You can currently use Silicate to reinforce windows up to a maximum durability of 500, while toying around with some insane hellburns lately i came up with the idea of a chemical that would allow one to strengthen and reinforce the atmospherics pipes, so they don't burst that quickly, this could be used to make even better hellburns, or prevent toxins from exploding into a fiery hellfire.
Did my last post actually work? I don't think so.

Make it a harder to make chemical alternative to silicate. I take this as a challenge to burst the pipes using more heat and pressure.
The only real problem is that you'd have to apply it to each pipe segment. While it would definitely increase the difficulty of doing it to prevent just everyone from making super hot hellburns, which should always have -some- barrier to entry (or else they're not special and something to strive for), a slight slant on that would instead have it be a kind of gas that could be in a tank found in space. There is another thread about space exploration not being worth it, and the ability to make your gas pipes stronger by pumping a quick spurt of some anomalous gas through them would fit both of these needs, I think. That said, it's entirely possible that gasses simply can't be made to behave that way and it'd be a coding nightmare, in which case I definitely think the chem should be made instead.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:The only real problem is that you'd have to apply it to each pipe segment. While it would definitely increase the difficulty of doing it to prevent just everyone from making super hot hellburns, which should always have -some- barrier to entry (or else they're not special and something to strive for), a slight slant on that would instead have it be a kind of gas that could be in a tank found in space. There is another thread about space exploration not being worth it, and the ability to make your gas pipes stronger by pumping a quick spurt of some anomalous gas through them would fit both of these needs, I think. That said, it's entirely possible that gasses simply can't be made to behave that way and it'd be a coding nightmare, in which case I definitely think the chem should be made instead.

The biodome gas sort of fills that role already, however it's a pain to get in a normal round if you're an engineer.

Also it doesn't help deal with bursting pipes, but I doubt much will
Just make it possible to foam everywhere and applying it would be easy.

Like hellburns, enterprising nerds should be able to figure out how to make enough to be effective.
What happens if you coat yourself in it? Durability plus high toxin?
Nurdock Wrote:
BlackPhoenix Wrote:The only real problem is that you'd have to apply it to each pipe segment. While it would definitely increase the difficulty of doing it to prevent just everyone from making super hot hellburns, which should always have -some- barrier to entry (or else they're not special and something to strive for), a slight slant on that would instead have it be a kind of gas that could be in a tank found in space. There is another thread about space exploration not being worth it, and the ability to make your gas pipes stronger by pumping a quick spurt of some anomalous gas through them would fit both of these needs, I think. That said, it's entirely possible that gasses simply can't be made to behave that way and it'd be a coding nightmare, in which case I definitely think the chem should be made instead.

The biodome gas sort of fills that role already, however it's a pain to get in a normal round if you're an engineer.

Also it doesn't help deal with bursting pipes, but I doubt much will
That gas only makes it easier to get higher temps faster, it will still burst pipes real quick.
ErikHanson Wrote:That gas only makes it easier to get higher temps faster, it will still burst pipes real quick.

Well, as I said, I doubt much could be done about pipes bursting. Remember, while pipes start bursting over 14000kpa, hellburns can reach billions or more, which would either require the new silicate to be incredibly tough, or for you to somehow introduce some way of refining it to the purity required to stop pipes bursting at such high pressures.
Nurdock Wrote:
ErikHanson Wrote:That gas only makes it easier to get higher temps faster, it will still burst pipes real quick.

Well, as I said, I doubt much could be done about pipes bursting. Remember, while pipes start bursting over 14000kpa, hellburns can reach billions or more, which would either require the new silicate to be incredibly tough, or for you to somehow introduce some way of refining it to the purity required to stop pipes bursting at such high pressures.

It's not only usable for hellburns, but also for generic traitor-ish applications, imagine how hot you could get medbay if the repressurization pipes didnt burst.
Ideally you would use a heavy wall seamless pipe for this sort of thing. It seems that some of the more successful hell burns can do so without pipes.
id think that piping improvements would be provided by mining and materials science - bohrum and bohquill pipes for example. perhaps this could also allow pipes with better heat conductivity properties to be placed in the burn chamber or the cooling pipes out in space, for improved engine performance

but delaying the engine long enough to get enough minerals and apply the reinforcement to all pipes might be a little problematic or cause complaints