Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making the Blob more user friendly
Hello,

I recently had to play as a blob and was severely frustrated that I couldn't immediately set my camera focus on one of my nucleii that was under attack.

I propose that we give the ability to the blob to immediately shift their focus to one of their nucleii by using a menu, like a ghost would select a target to observe.
I'm not too sure about this. As far as I know there is a vague attack warning thing (nucleus under attack in <area>) already implemented just so that the blob cannot react immediately but is not completely blind. I'm not totally adamant on this and I'm willing to negotiate but right now, small blobs should be able to react just fine whereas big blobs need to poke around a bit. Basically, it's a size based equalizer.
Well, I guess that to keep things balanced, mobs (humans and cyborgs) could get a flavour text saying that the nucleus they're looking at suddenly shivers or something like that when you decide to shift your focus to that specific nucleus.

It would honestly make life much easier when, say, you have nucleii on both the debris field z-level (or escape shuttle) and the station z-level because as it is, you simply cannot get your camera there in time (or at all) if you are looking in a different z-level.
Oh no no no, if you have nuclei on two Z-levels I'm most definitely not going to make your life easy.
The nuclei on two z-levels was just an example of a rather rare situation in which this fix would make playing blob easier to manage. Keyword here being "easier" not "easy".

A more pertinent example, I believe, would be when a blob has expanded on the station and has at least two nuclei but then both were separated by a rather experienced crew (which honestly are far more common than decent blob players) armed to the teeth with laser guns, flamethrowers, 12x12 tank transfer valve bombs (usually delivered via telescience),poisons, and blunt objects. The blob has absolutely no way to defend both nuclei in time because he has to scroll his camera (which by the way is -really- slow compared to the movement speed of a healthy human/regular ghost) or frantically click on all the floor tiles he can see in order to get to his nucleus in time while at the same time the game client is heavily lagging because either the server is being choked to death by the fact that you have dozens of people flaming down every blob tile they can see OR because of a bomb being detonated somewhere else.

Just being able to "cancel camera view" to one of your nuclei would be fantastic. Hell, you could even make it an upgrade that costs 5-6 evo points and call it "Consciousness Transmission".

If anything, most blobs that we encounter get destroyed in 5 minutes flat. Playing blob is, by no means, an easy task*.

*Except maybe for Wirewraith who has played the ever living crap out of it and is now a blob IRL. :shepface:
Winklabom Wrote:*Except maybe for Wirewraith who has played the ever living crap out of it and is now a blob IRL. :shepface:

lol
Wire Wrote:
Winklabom Wrote:*Except maybe for Wirewraith who has played the ever living crap out of it and is now a blob IRL. :shepface:

lol
The blob has attained sentience.

All is lost.