SAKayle7 Head of Security Application
Usual Character Name: Cheradenine Zakalwe
BYOND Username: SAKayle7
Recommended by (if applicable): -
Times Available: A couple games a day, more on the weekends

Reason for Application (300 word minimum):

Well, it has only been like two or three weeks since I was made a mentor so it might be a little early to be applying for this, but I think I could be a really good Head of Security. While I don't play the actual Security Officer job very often, I do play Head of Personnel and Captain quite often, and when a particularly nasty traitor is going around, I'll help out the security team. When I do help it's usually quite effective.

People who have seen me play could tell you that I'm both an excellent traitor and an excellent upstanding crewman! I'll resurrect people from the dead or heal them from certain death, I'll set up the engine, I'll repair hull breaches, and I'll rampage so incredibly well that being the only person to escape is trivial. I know almost every chemical and how to get it or make it, I know the locations of tons of great stuff out in space!

I think my attitude towards security is also really suited to the Head of Security job. Even if I know somebody is a traitor, even if I can see it's so obvious that it's not even funny, that doesn't mean a death sentence or a perma-brigging. That just makes the round a little more boring for everyone! And plus that would just be silly when there are so many other things to do to the particularly nasty rampagers. There's taking their dangerous weapons and brigging them, sure, but that's almost mundane! A few times now on the rounds I decided to help security out, I've saved armless, leggless corpses in the morgue so that I can transfer a particularly nasty rampaging traitor's brain into them via strange reagent. Or move their brains into a monkey! Or worse... into a cluwne body.

Silly stories of game stuff aside, I really do think that I could be a good Head of Security based on my knowledge of the game and attitude. Thank you for considering! smile

Security Experience (300 word minimum):

For the past three weeks now, I've been a mentor. That means on every Friday I can try out the Head of Security role! So I've been trying to get the handle on it on those days. It's not so different at all than playing a captain helping out the security team, or even a regular security officer, really. I have hilarious stories for a bunch of those HoS games already.

On the first week, there was a predator that an admin spawned. I believe he gave it to someone who lost a traitor round or something? I dunno, didn't matter how. But as the Head of Security... I had to go hunting. Now I never knew predators were so fast! Even when I did catch sight of him with my thermal goggles, he was able to run by so quick I could barely draw fast enough. Piles of gibs and organs and skulls were everywhere. So I decided to get the big guns from the armory. A player can quickdraw if they know how - the V key will attempt to move what you're holding into your inventory wherever it can, instantly. Like a belt slot! So I carried around a pair of handcuffs with a riot shotgun on my belt, ready to quickdraw when the time came. Nobody wants to slip on a banana and give an assistant their shotgun, after all. I finally was able to stun the predator! With about a dozen shotgun blasts. I healed him up from certain death on the condition that he fight me hand to hand in the boxing ring. I put up a pretty good fight, I think! Hah. Long enough for the captain to get tired of it and come in and just gun the predator down with lasers, anyway.

And that's just a sample of the things I know how to do, and the silly gimmicks I can imagine up and pull off while still being an effective cop!

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):

For many reasons I think it's close to perfect the way it is. The whole security area is fairly small, which is good! And it's not inescapable whatsoever, which is great. An enterprising traitor, afraid they''ll be brigged, can always secretly set up the bathroom in the brig with a secret wall beforehand and make his escape. However there are still plenty of tools, items, and areas for a good security officer to lock up a smart bad guy.

The only thing I really do have a problem with is the auto flashers. The only places those ever get set up is usually right next to the door. They'll blind any medic coming in to try and heal a prisoner or something, while any good traitor picked up sunglasses first thing. But that's just an opinion of mine, not a huge deal at all.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): Still just the one time from leaving as an AI without telling anyone, a long time ago.

cool Thank you for reading more than 900 words of goofy SS13 stories <3
All though I don't think you are a bad player by any means. I just have no memory of seeing you play security so as of right now I have to vote no.
Ed Venture Wrote:All though I don't think you are a bad player by any means. I just have no memory of seeing you play security so as of right now I have to vote no.
I feel the same way.
I can't say I've ever seen you play security either.
Quote:While I don't play the actual Security Officer job very often, I do play Head of Personnel and Captain quite often, and when a particularly nasty traitor is going around, I'll help out the security team.
These are very different jobs in that one is easy and the other is soul crushingly difficult. It's cool that you're taking advantage of the mentor's free HoS fridays, but to fully understand what it takes to lead security you must have lots of experience as a plain old drudge security officer.
No, for a couple reasons.

One, you really do have to do your time in the trenches as a regular sec officer. Hunting antags as captain or HoP is not a point in your favor. If you want to protect the crew, be an officer. If you want to get drunk, be the captain.

Related to that, my impression of you is that you are clever and knowledgeable, but also a powergamer, deeply focused on survival. I powergame too at times, but every round I've seen you you seem to be wrapped up in being an unkillable roadblock. Take a time out from all access/command roles and be more fun in other jobs, not just security. I don't think a good HoS is sheerly about your ability to protect the station and coordinate security but also to contribute to the round in a fun way, and I haven't seen you do that. Embrace silly deaths, make jokes, insane science projects, whatever.
Grayshift Wrote:No, for a couple reasons.
wrapped up in being an unkillable roadblock

Well I mean, that's the idea in just about every game! It's to have fun, and it's no fun to die. And I think some of this negativity is about the door access? That's weird to me.

But If that's the opinion, that's what it is. I play plenty of low access jobs all the time, and do plenty of fun stuff. Maybe people only see my traitor rounds, or maybe we just don't play at the same times normally so you only see the odd late night game or something roll eyes (sarcastic)
I think you may have jumped the gun on this one. It's not a question of job preferences here, more the fact that you just need time as an officer. Sure you get to play HoS on friday, but that isn't truly enough time to get valuable security experience. This is coming from someone who has yet to apply for role, as I think i'm not really ready for the high level of responsibility it comes with. Just outright murdering the threat is neither fun for the traitor or the rest of the crew. If you are serious about being HoS then you ought to try playing as an officer.
Kayle7 Wrote:And I think some of this negativity is about the door access? That's weird to me.
In short, just because you've been playing the HoS and have been calling the shots in that respect doesn't necessarily mean that you're qualified to play HoS full time, as it were. Being qualified to be whitelisted for the Head of Security job isn't just about being a Head of Security, as weird as that probably sounds. It's about being an effective member of the security force, and in order to do that, you need to be accustomed to the moments where you aren't at the top of the food chain.

The main reason why you should play more as an average-joe Security Officer is because one of the best ways of getting a feel for how the department works, how station proceedings in general work, and how you should go about doing things, is to put yourself in the position of not being able to get into a few places or not being able to be on the same level as the command staff, because that's a much better way of training your wit and your ability to make tough decisions on the spot, your ability to get out of tough situations, and your ability to know when to defer to someone else. I'm not going to say that being HoS is EASY by any means, but limiting your security experience to those HoS Fridays does NOT give you the full picture of what security is all about, and that's what really counts in an HoS app.

I'll also admit that I haven't seen hide nor hair of you in a security position, or at the very least, you haven't stood out to me in any of those instances. Furthermore, one single anecdote about how you challenged a predator to a fight in the ring, while actually pretty amusing and indicative of the ability to not be a total hardass, doesn't give me a good enough impression to let me recommend giving you the beret full-time. It isn't just about the stuff you've done, it's about your attitude towards the job, towards the department, and towards the game. Furthermore, the general public opinion ranging from confused shrugs to claims that you partake in a playstyle quite opposite of the ideal Head of Security has me raising an eyebrow at the legitimacy of your application.

So, while I'm going to vote against this application because of the aforementioned reasons, I will say that you definitely seem enthusiastic to take up the job, and heartily encourage you to play some rounds as a normal Officer, see how things work out for you, and try again after you've got some more experience.
While i agree with the people who have doubts because of not seeing you play sec, you always try to keep medbay together and coordinated when playing MD. Now I don't know much about sec, but it seems that trait is important for a HoS to possess. You also seem to enjoy fun more than winning which to me is vital in a HoS. You're also friendly and helpful!

Got my approval, as much as that's worth!
Agree that you would be a good HoS and agree that it'd take more security experience to seal the deal.
magic mountain Wrote:Agree that you would be a good HoS and agree that it'd take more security experience to seal the deal.

I agree play more security get a little more experience and it would be a yes from me as well