Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduce Oxygen Damage
None of the people I've spoken to who've complained about this wanna' make a thread. So I will!

With the recent and totally neat change to atmos that has rooms emptying and filling with atmosphere much faster than before, spacemen are dying to oxygen loss a lot quicker when they stand in any room with a hole in it.
It'd be neat if folks could have a little more survivability in drained rooms, even just enough to get to the hole and plug it.
This was actually my motivation for that thread about being able to hold your breath, initially.
Please. The combination of slow movement and oxy damage makes almost impossible to escape hull breaches without a tank (and you still get burn damage)
Well, the reason I didn't really want to suggest it was the new change has been in place for just 5 days, although this thread may encourage a "fix" a bit quicker.
Hortford Wrote:Please. The combination of slow movement and oxy damage makes almost impossible to escape hull breaches without a tank (and you still get burn damage)

This is a real killer. Entering a room an airless room without an oxytank will put you in crit in ~5 seconds. This means if you decide to cross the airless room for longer than 2 seconds, and then decide "fuck this aint worth it" it's already too damn late because the cold will stop you from escaping fast enough.
As one player said, "I can survive a shotgun blast to the chest, but I can't hold my damn breath for longer than 5 seconds what is this"

As a medic, the oxygen loss is very hard to tackle from your patient. I see people with 300-400 oxygen damage coming in just because they did the above and somehow managed to make it medbay without keeling over. The problem is, they've literally come to medbay to be cloned, as this type of damage is not treatable unless you have 2-3 well equipped medics around you putting literally the stations worth of epi/atropine and salbutamol/perfluorodecalin to save the dudes life.
As you can expect, this also means heart attacks, which rack up oxygen damage, considerably more fatal.

I think from speaking with others about the matter, including admins, is that most are in favor of the change of the atmos, but not one person is a fan of the oxygen damage change. Slightly off topic, but I do feel like while the change in atmos is good, there needs to be a BUFF in stuff such as oxygen canisters and space heaters to put oxygen and heat BACK into a room, as right now it's criminally easy to depressurize a room and painfully difficult to do the opposite. Shit dont make sense.
Another way for the borgs to kill everyone. Bolt open doors and airlocks and pop a few holes in the station. Nobody will hear the screams. I like the cold, but the ox damage is a little too realistic even while being unrealistically tame.

Frankly, I have been annoyed by oxycrits since the removal of self-cpr, which I agree was a tad ridiculous. Could we not do something like give gasp a cooldown and give it a chance to heal oxy in a breathable atmos? I do like the brutality of all this, but we're still in a game where you can drunkenly cut off your own arm and staple a chainsaw in it's place.
Vitatroll Wrote:Another way for the borgs to kill everyone. Bolt open doors and airlocks and pop a few holes in the station. Nobody will hear the screams. I like the cold, but the ox damage is a little too realistic even while being unrealistically tame.

Frankly, I have been annoyed by oxycrits since the removal of self-cpr, which I agree was a tad ridiculous. Could we not do something like give gasp a cooldown and give it a chance to heal oxy in a breathable atmos? I do like the brutality of all this, but we're still in a game where you can drunkenly cut off your own arm and staple a chainsaw in it's place.

I had a thing in here about liking the holdbreath idea better than straight up reducing oxydamage, but it got eaten somehow. Then again, oxydamage is extremely rough right now, so maybe both. Then again then again, coding and stuff.
Good news! A very clever and good coder is playing around with solving this issue right now!
I thought the atmos change was just a temporary stop gap measure while the code was reworked to reduce lag.
Gannets Wrote:Good news! A very clever and good coder is playing around with solving this issue right now!

get in not go out
Some numbers just got changed. Report back in once you've had a chance to die in airless rooms again.
The oxygen damage isn't so bad as the insane cold that pervades the entire station. By half an hour the entire station is usually one giant freezer despite being in mostly good condition.
Mofleaker Wrote:The oxygen damage isn't so bad as the insane cold that pervades the entire station. By half an hour the entire station is usually one giant freezer despite being in mostly good condition.

I never understood why space in SS13 is cold anyway, space has no gas to conduct temperature. You wont get any colder in an airless room. Instead of burn damage and slowdown really you should be taking brute damage from the pressure difference of the inside of your body to the outside vacuum. just remove the slowdown and add brute damage to areas of low enough air pressure.
please fix this, it is bad
Seems like the recent fix has ironed out the oxy damage.
I will reiterate that refilling rooms with oxygen/air and heat needs to be looked at however.
Everyone is asthmatic. This is a feature.