Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are VR
VR needs to be rebuilt sort of. The VR gym is really really bad, but the racetrack is great. I say we should remove the VR pool, boxing ring, and basketball court. Now I know what you are thinking "epicdwarf how do we play basketball if there is no court" well there was talk of putting supplies to make a bball court in the warehouse. If this is implanted we could still have bball games. Also, combat VR needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. It is too easy to spawn camp, and the item placement is sort of screwed up. This can be fixed by building a new map with better item placement, and a layout that can proabley support team combat. Plus, combat VR should have some single player value. Maybe have some way to spawn in mobs to kill, or have virtual npcs to fight. Last, the AI and borgs should be able to join in VR recreations. We could have them spawn in VR as virtual humans like everybody else, or have them spawn in as virtual robots.
epicdwarf Wrote:VR needs to be rebuilt sort of. The VR gym is really really bad, but the racetrack is great.

I say we should remove the VR pool, boxing ring, and basketball court. There was talk of putting supplies to make a bball court in the warehouse, if this is implanted we could still have bball games.
Also, combat VR needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
Maybe have some way to spawn in mobs to kill, or have virtual npcs to fight.

Last, the AI and borgs should be able to join in VR recreations. We could have them spawn in VR as virtual humans like everybody else, or have them spawn in as virtual robots.

Now your post is readable!

Also yeah I think VR is kind of outdated and wonky. It's so rarely used as well, if it had a proper re-do it might be more fun.
AI and borgs should spawn as killbots, because being a borg is boring and they should be able to blow off some steam by going on a rampage in the VR
h3half Wrote:AI and borgs should spawn as killbots, because being a borg is boring and they should be able to blow off some steam by going on a rampage in the VR

this suggestion has been (semi) seriously discussed before, complete with tron like notions of being able to take down the AI through cyberspace or a gimmick round where everyone begins in VR at the psychotic AI's mercy. good stuff!

here's two minor VR suggestions:
- Collapse the VRs into one system, even if just by knocking down a wall between the gun sim and the racing sim.
- Make people spawning in VR spawn with a VR headset that broadcasts on a unique frequency to allow better coordination.

oh and I think removing the boxing ring & pool are on the todo list since they have physical world counterparts. the basketball court takes up a lot of space and wouldn't fit anywhere on the station nicely though.
VR kinda sucks and has been an ongoing headache. There are some plans in the works already to drastically revamp it, and yeah, there is no reason to have VR boxing or a VR pool.

Having two discrete AI areas is pretty goofy too.
It'd be a cool gimmick if some VR areas could be used to hack station equipment, kind of like what we'll be able to do with personal computers.
This is only tangentially related, but it has something to do with VR and being interesting, so here it is, I suppose. Is it possible to open up some sort of way, possibly by hacking, to let someone break into the emag VR maze, without being thrown in there by a traitor? The maze itself is incredibly interesting from the once I've been in there and I'd like to mess with it more, without being a traitor that fucks off for the whole round and bores the server to tears.

Alternately, is this the sort of request what you'd typically use pray for
mozi Wrote:a gimmick round where everyone begins in VR at the psychotic AI's mercy. good stuff!
What about this except there's no indication that you're in VR except that if you commit suicide you wake up in a pod on a shitty derelict with the actual AI's body and maybe some killbots? Basically the Matrix except that if you go back in to recruit people to help you fight the real AI and his army of killbots you have to actually convince people to kill themselves to join you.
Coolguye Wrote:This is only tangentially related, but it has something to do with VR and being interesting, so here it is, I suppose. Is it possible to open up some sort of way, possibly by hacking, to let someone break into the emag VR maze, without being thrown in there by a traitor? The maze itself is incredibly interesting from the once I've been in there and I'd like to mess with it more, without being a traitor that fucks off for the whole round and bores the server to tears.

Alternately, is this the sort of request what you'd typically use pray for

Yeah it would be fun to explore that maze without having to be thrown into it forcibly
Dauntasa Wrote:What about this except there's no indication that you're in VR except that if you commit suicide you wake up in a pod on a shitty derelict with the actual AI's body and maybe some killbots? Basically the Matrix except that if you go back in to recruit people to help you fight the real AI and his army of killbots you have to actually convince people to kill themselves to join you.

This is a cool idea on the basis of actually convincing people it's not real and making them kill themselves. Although I'd have to assume being killed any way other than suicide would just kill you, otherwise it'd be way to easy.

The only problem I forsee is people suiciding as soon as they see the AI is trying to kill them.
Readster Wrote:This is a cool idea on the basis of actually convincing people it's not real and making them kill themselves. Although I'd have to assume being killed any way other than suicide would just kill you, otherwise it'd be way to easy.

The only problem I forsee is people suiciding as soon as they see the AI is trying to kill them.
Well yeah, if you just die then you're dead. Also if this was some gimmick thing run occasionally and without warning then 99% of the people who killed themselves when the AI tried to kill them would be very disappointed when it turned out it just had its laws changed and they are now dead forever.
Readster Wrote:This is a cool idea on the basis of actually convincing people it's not real and making them kill themselves. Although I'd have to assume being killed any way other than suicide would just kill you, otherwise it'd be way to easy.

What if people need to come up with new ways to kill themselves to escape the simulation? Joe McPubs finds out by holding his breath, then John Grifington and his buddies have to jam screwdrivers in their eyes, strangle themselves with cord, or slash their throats to escape the sim, then toolbox the AI to death? You could spin it as the AI finding and patching the various glitches in the simulation as they show up.

Also, if this does become a thing(and I hope it does), there needs to be ways to affect the traps on the derelict, real life station in the VR. Like setting the guardbuddies to protect someone programs the killbots on the real station to not murder that guy. Maybe connect various motion cameras on the derelict to cameras in the simulation too, so the AI has a harder time of seeing you coming.
Or when your KO'd it shows flashes of the derelict instead of the simulation occasionally.