Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Holding your breath
of all the ways to asphyxiate and people are only thinking about the airless void of space oh no lidge
there have been times when walking thru the lovely snowflakes of the knockout gas that i wished our spacemen coyuld hold their breaths
Franklin Briner is holding his breath. It looks like he's trying to commit suicide.

confused
Hufflaw Wrote:Franklin Briner is holding his breath. It looks like he's trying to commit suicide.

confused
Hrm. That text could always be changed to something else as the generic suicide.
Franklin Briner bashes their head against the floor/swallows their tongue/has a brain aneurysm.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Hufflaw Wrote:Franklin Briner is holding his breath. It looks like he's trying to commit suicide.

confused
Hrm. That text could always be changed to something else as the generic suicide.
Franklin Briner bashes their head against the floor/swallows their tongue/has a brain aneurysm.

I was joking, it was supposed to imply "But you already CAN hold your breath, silly!" I don't think the red text will actually interfere with holding your breath.
Bumping this thread. I had literally the exact same idea and thought I'd do a search before I made a post. Seems like everyone in here also viewed this idea favorably and I know it hasn't been implemented yet. I think it does deserve more discussion or to add in. I think that the basic idea on it's own is good enough to merit addition. Currently, you have to have an internals mask and any air tank in order to effectively "hold your breath" by setting the release valve to 0 kPa.

One of the main reasons Frank gives in his original post is for preventing OXY damage when walking through a vented area for a short time or something, I know that it was said that this was not very realistic, but realism or not, I think it makes some sense logically. The other thing about it in terms of gameplay, I don't know how useful it would be to prevent you from taking that OXY damage is since oxy heals very quick once you have air to breathe. Maybe it could be used as a way to more quickly recover OXY damage once you have an air supply you're conscious, taking deep breaths, that stands on its own realism wise too.

Also useful, but not mentioned is that hold their breath could be useful for running through fire or a hot room and not taking a lung full of 100C air.
Very very yes, I would love to force sec to give my katana back by holding my breath and throwing a temper tantrum