Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sec shakedown machine
When you''re playing sec, assuming you're planning to play by the rules you're meant to capture someone, stick them in the cells then let them go. Except people shy away from this for one very simple reason, being left to your own devices in the cells are boring.

One of the things that is intended to happen which would make sec much more effective is that when a staff member is being brigged is they're supposed to be given their orange uniform and have their shit searched for anything incriminating, but this never gets done as due to the limitations of both the UI and BYOND as an engine, this takes so long that it can take longer to get someone out of their clothes piece by piece and put them in orange than the time they would be brigged for.

I therefore suggest an item that automates the process. It will only accept either documented staff (those with a job and an ID) if their record is set to incarcerated (accomplished by scanning the perp with the hand scanner when bringing them in. Undocumented staff will be accepted regardless. The machine will suck all their clothes and possessions into an evidence locker. They will then be spat out wearing prison orange and the corresponding shoes, the machine won't remove cuffs or the ID if the perp has one. Then they can be brigged as necessary.

This streamlines a part of the game currently limited by UI mechanics. When a character is ejected from the prison there should be some sort of vending machine near the brig door that will vomit out their belongings upon insertion of their ID card (people incarcerated without an ID will just get a claim ticket). This minimises dead sec time.Often when somebody is arrested they sit in the brig for 3 minutes then return to what they were doing. They aren't scanned or documented because these actions are often just too slow and it gets pretty awkward. A shakedown machine would mean a suspect would spend less time bucklecuffed in the brig office with staff stunningt him every 20 seconds just to be sure and would mean that sec staff can actually do something security...ish with a suspect instead of just brigging them and forgetting them, it could also be the first step in changing the act of brigging from weird meta moderation to a more proggessive act of "detention while we figure out if you're a threat or not"

thougthts?
I really like this idea, but I think that instead of keeping their existing ID (which could have all-access for all you know) it should replace it with a Prisoner ID (with a gimmick prison number), which can only open the bathroom door in the brig. Their original ID is spit out from the vending machine / closet thing, which would only accept their Prisoner ID, along with the rest of their crap.
I'm always a little wary of anything that makes brigging people easier, and I don't really feel like this is an especially cohesive argument. Speeding up stripping/dressing a guy really alleviate the issue of people sitting around bored once actually inside the cell, and it encourages officers to work together when processing people. Also I don't really think sec brigging anyone that could be seen as a potential threat and then dealing with them at their leisure would be the utopia you claim it to be.
Quote:One of the things that is intended to happen which would make sec much more effective is that when a staff member is being brigged is they're supposed to be given their orange uniform
Not really. The orange uniform is totally optional, and as you said, it's a real fucking boon to dress someone in an orange jumpsuit. In-fact when playing as hos, I would actively discourage other officers dressing prisoners because not only does it take too long, but being stripped of your jumpsuit can rile people up, because it's kinda rude. Instead, I just chuck the orange jumpsuit at the person if they want to wear it. Most times they don't, but if they're arr peeing a convict, you'll find they'll wear them.

Quote:I therefore suggest an item that automates the process. It will only accept either documented staff (those with a job and an ID) if their record is set to incarcerated (accomplished by scanning the perp with the hand scanner when bringing them in. Undocumented staff will be accepted regardless. The machine will suck all their clothes and possessions into an evidence locker. They will then be spat out wearing prison orange and the corresponding shoes, the machine won't remove cuffs or the ID if the perp has one. Then they can be brigged as necessary.

Alot of traitor items, such as the syndicate storage and the derringer, are built for hiding. Being completely removed of all their stuff and stuffed into the evidence locker completely nullifies this. I really don't support this.

Quote: When a character is ejected from the prison there should be some sort of vending machine near the brig door that will vomit out their belongings upon insertion of their ID card (people incarcerated without an ID will just get a claim ticket).
heh funny enough, I thought of something like this in a by-gone sec thread, which would function exactly the same. This I can support, as you could potentially whack em' with a fine to get back their stuff, if you're feeling lax this could also be traitor items. It would also mean that they actually do get back their stuff, rather than being lost in sec hq. Although timed lockers already kinda function like this, I'd actually prefer a confiscated dispenser sorta thing as it sounds alot more fun.

Another thing i'd like to see is some sort of automated bail machine, but i've been suggesting that for literal years now.
Sundance Wrote:Alot of traitor items, such as the syndicate storage and the derringer, are built for hiding. Being completely removed of all their stuff and stuffed into the evidence locker completely nullifies this. I really don't support this.

I was recently stripped, and my derringer remained hidden in my shoe until my clothes were returned to me. Presumably if they were examined the items could be found but that's not necessarily more likely than the current situation; so long as 'hidden' items weren't automatically exposed by this process I don't see a problem.

I do like this as a whole although I think improvements to prison life should occur first, because it's generally just boring (and on the whole, it's miscreants rather than traitors who get thrown in the brig). There might be a bit of a chicken and egg situation there, though. It might be nice if there were more ways to hide smaller items, both on your person and in brig items, so if you're thrown in you could read notes from other traitors, trade items, things of that nature.

As regards to the prison ID, an idea I was going to post elsewhere was to allow sec computers to remove access and create a 'Parolee' ID, potentially one that would automatically wear off. It's an unused system but if it was easier to use/implement, you could use the brig as a holding cell and 'punish' crimers that way.

Say, you process Traitor RD with this machine, automatically reduce his access to staff assistant, then release him with a big PAROLEE ID and possibly still in the orange suit. Traitor only spends 1min in sec total, is less bitter because he's back in the game quicker, and can return to his hidden item stash or be assisted by other crims.
Roomba Wrote:I'm always a little wary of anything that makes brigging people easier, and I don't really feel like this is an especially cohesive argument. Speeding up stripping/dressing a guy really alleviate the issue of people sitting around bored once actually inside the cell, and it encourages officers to work together when processing people. Also I don't really think sec brigging anyone that could be seen as a potential threat and then dealing with them at their leisure would be the utopia you claim it to be.

The brig is used all of never. If anything, brigging should be done more often, especially as an alternative to executing traitors.

Quote:Not really. The orange uniform is totally optional, and as you said, it's a real fucking boon to dress someone in an orange jumpsuit. In-fact when playing as hos, I would actively discourage other officers dressing prisoners because not only does it take too long, but being stripped of your jumpsuit can rile people up, because it's kinda rude.
Is it possible to swap jumpsuits the way you can using the "Inv" button? If not maybe it should be, so that you can quickly stuff someone into a different set of clothes without all their items falling off in the process.

Quote:Alot of traitor items, such as the syndicate storage and the derringer, are built for hiding.
So they won't get confiscated/destroyed when someone digs through your bag/pockets. Just throw them on and wait for everyone to let down their guard; having found no dangerous items, there's much less of a reason to suspect anything.
Should be noted that you can click a clothing slot with the item in your hand and swap it directly, which makes dressing people in prison clothes faster.
the most important question

what would this machine do to a victim if it were emagged
Berrik Wrote:Should be noted that you can click a clothing slot with the item in your hand and swap it directly, which makes dressing people in prison clothes faster.
The things I keep learning about this game. Does this retain the items in their pockets?
Sundance Wrote:
Quote: When a character is ejected from the prison there should be some sort of vending machine near the brig door that will vomit out their belongings upon insertion of their ID card (people incarcerated without an ID will just get a claim ticket).
heh funny enough, I thought of something like this in a by-gone sec thread, which would function exactly the same. This I can support, as you could potentially whack em' with a fine to get back their stuff, if you're feeling lax this could also be traitor items. It would also mean that they actually do get back their stuff, rather than being lost in sec hq. Although timed lockers already kinda function like this, I'd actually prefer a confiscated dispenser sorta thing as it sounds alot more fun.

Another thing i'd like to see is some sort of automated bail machine, but i've been suggesting that for literal years now.

I would like this
My goal was to in fact have people spending less time in the brig because there's nothing worse than the eponymous dilemma of "He was probably armed to the gills but we stuffed him in the brig and if we go in there again he'll murder us with all his toys, we don't want to let him out because he'll just pick up where he left off except with a vendetta against sec and if we don't let him go soon we'll get admin helped and called names"

Despite best intentions, most briggings these days result in the suspect running around and fartscreaming in the lockup while sec impotently stare at them from the other side of the door knowing that when the timer ticks down in 3 minutes it was wasted game time. Sec got nothing out if it, the suspect got nothing out of it.
Proper "sanitizing" of prisoners could open up opportunities to actually do the whole sec things of checking stuff for DNA and blood taking them to the confession room to feed them crank until they confess. Then, Sec are doing something, the suspect is doing stuff. And everybody is doing more than just watching a clock tick down.
...Does it really take you that long to...click, wait a second or two, click again, wait a second or two, and then redress the person? Taking off their jumpsuit removes their ID, their pocket items, and their belt. Their backpack is the rest of their real storage capability. That doesn't take more than 30 seconds tops, and if you were only going to brig somebody for 30 seconds, just don't brig them, let them go. If that's too long for the offense, then the offense didn't deserve stripping in the first place. If you insist on your RP immersion by throwing them into full prisoner clothes, that's gonna take a bit longer. That's the nature of the beast.
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Berrik Wrote:Should be noted that you can click a clothing slot with the item in your hand and swap it directly, which makes dressing people in prison clothes faster.
The things I keep learning about this game. Does this retain the items in their pockets?

Yup. IDs, pocket contents, everything. You can also do the same thing to yourself with clothing you have in hand.
I think this is a cool idea. I think though that it should eject you into a private room that only a sec, head, or prisoner ID can open. Reason being is it would suck to get ajected walk to the machine and have someone jump you for your stuff as you're collecting it. All in all a pretty cool idea, probably needs some refinement in a few areas that would become obvious in live play, but overall it would be fun to see the brig used more.
Has anyone else noticed that security tends to be less effective in recent games? As far as I've seen, most sec officers are being murdered right off the bat, committing suicide, or disappearing before being able to enforce any law.

Maybe the crew is just getting more robust?