Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuff brains in small bots
As in the title, for things like medbots, mulebots, floorbots, etc. it'd work like this:

You'd unlock the bot, then screwdriver it open to reveal a panel. You could then stick a brain in, close it up and lock it. They'd get no laws (though if they need laws as a balance issue, I guess.)

The brain would override the default activity of the bot, and possibly also gain relevant department radio (Might require also stuffing a comm headset in there with the brain).

PDA attempts to give the bot orders give the controlling brain notifications of what people want it to do instead.

With the exception of medbot and firebot with laying down mobs, floorbots with tiles and cleanbots with trash, none of the bots could drag normally. (standing up or otherwise not being on the floor interrupts pull)

All the bots would hopefully some sort of built in flashlight too for dark areas.

You'd need to fix the ability of small robots to walk on space (if that exists here), though. Having a brain in them makes them have to space walk like normal people.

As an extra indicator, small bots with brains could have a different colour light indicator, and all say speech will appear to come from the brain identity inside (possibly also showing the name of the bot in parentheses)

I'd also assume emagging or whatever equivalent would have a similar or somewhat similar effect on them to normal small bots. Probably the most effect would be removing some of their limitations and giving them laws to obey you.

---

For mulebots: Clicking on an object attempts to load it, clicking on a tile with a load attempts to unload it there. If it can't pick it up, it will buzz. All wire status effects mulebot as usual. Mulebot could get cargo/maint/general access. Possible upgrade from robotics: optical mesons, and Heavy Duty Loader (Can load any large unanchored object, or can load up to three crates at once, appears as a bundle. I'm pretty sure there's sprites for this already somewhere.)

For medbots: You get a prodoc overlay, and clicking on a valid injured mob from a distance will emote the 'hey wait' medbot say to them. (and possibly do a point arrow) Clicking on an injured mob in melee distance will attempt to medicate them. Clicking on an uninjured mob or one that would get overdosed by your actions (unless emagged) will fail and not allow you to do so. Hopefully medbots could get medical/general access. Possible upgrade from robotics: Extended medical tools, maybe even surgery related. Honk.

For cleanbots: You run around cleaning stuff with your brush. Clicking on tiles would attempt to clean them with a delay, but you could queue multiple tiles at once without moving. They could get general and maint access. Possible upgrades from robotics: Faster brush w/ ability to clean people directly

For floorbots: You run around replacing floor tiles, or building new ones. Clicking on space will attempt to build support and then a floor. Clicking on supports would just build a floor. Clicking on a tile-less floor would attempt to put a tile there. You can load small tiles by clicking on them. They could get general/maint/airlock access. Possible upgrades from robotics: Emergency thrusters for getting caught in space, ability to synthesize tiles instead of having to load them.

For Secutrons: You run around enforcing the law. You normally can't robust or arrest anyone who isn't labeled as a prisoner or wanted. However, if a human modifies the settings manually, they can enable the bot to arrest at will. Secutron clicking on a distant valid target will give the beepsky warning shout. Clicking on a valid target in melee will attempt to stunbaton them, or if already stunned, arrest them. They could get security/general/maint access. Possible upgrades from robotics: A robust module that allows them to drag handcuffed mobs, and manipulate prison cell equipment, and an upgrade that gives them an overlay similar to prodoc but shows security status instead of health.

For Firebots: You patrol the station and make sure the chemists or engineers don't set it on fire (too badly). You can drag prone people around, and you can use your fireaxe in melee to smash windows and tables (and etc) down to help get at fallen victims, and the fireaxe doubles as a crowbar for opening things like depowered doors and firelocks. You can click at ranged to let loose a barrage of foamy foam, but you should have a tank on standby incase you run out. They could get maint/general/airlock access and possibly have the ability to read the temperature of a tile by examining it. Possible upgrades from robotics: A better more robust fireax, bigger cap/wider spread foam extinguisher, and possibly an emergency stabilization kit. (Lets you do basic first aid on gasping prone patients to let them live slightly longer despite raging infernos and asphyxiation.)

Fot Buttbots: You patrol the station and make sure everyone knows what the word of the day is. This is the only bot where the original functionality isn't completely removed; you will sometimes automatically reply with the butt replacement chatter like you had butt-tourettes. They gain access to the *fart emote, and probably can wear hats somehow with outside help from a human (with appropriate flipping animations)
Taking a prisoner destined for death row, debraining/assing them, and stuffing them up their own arse is now an acceptable form of capital punishment. Possible upgrades: A gripper of some sort so they can pick up and use small objects, like a pen so they can butt how butting butt their day has butt all over a piece of paper. Also possibly a super powered fart module (but why in the world would you do that?!)

Etc etc for any other small bots that would apply (I don't remember them all. Something about minebots and honkbots or whatever. You could also probably include the remote controlled handies.).

----

Also what would be neat is the ability to go to robotics and get a custom paintjob? It would require greyscaling the bots and separating them out into different overlays though.

---

Additional possible idea: Ai board for cyborgs also works on small bots.
Read everything up to the quote below and was thinking "Yeah why hasn't this been added yet?"
Midaychi Wrote:Taking a prisoner destined for death row, debraining/assing them, and stuffing them up their own arse is now an acceptable form of capital punishment.
Now I definitely want it even more.
Yeah, if robotics ever gets updated, I'd love to see the bots get reworked to be more useful, both on their own and with crew and AI control capabilities.
Everything in here is pure gold.
An imaginative idea, but a lot of people get salty about being a borg.

I think manual control over bots should be left to the AI and cyborgs. Nothing fancy, just a moveto(mouseclick) where if they run into an obstacle or reach their target they return to their normal operation. A target(mouseclick), where they look for viable targets for action on the designated tile, would be really nice too. Though this small thing could require a complete rewrite of the critter code. Eh.
Vitatroll Wrote:An imaginative idea, but a lot of people get salty about being a borg.

I think manual control over bots should be left to the AI and cyborgs. Nothing fancy, just a moveto(mouseclick) where if they run into an obstacle or reach their target they return to their normal operation. A target(mouseclick), where they look for viable targets for action on the designated tile, would be really nice too. Though this small thing could require a complete rewrite of the critter code. Eh.

I would not get salty over being a buttbot
I think the main halting state over 'borg is that they're not very topically interesting and they have laws they have to follow.

Small bots, however, are topically interesting and would have no laws (probably). You could hang out and run around like a dork like normal and you'd just have to pay attention if someone emag'd you.
Question: Would we be able to put a brain into beepsky and BECOME THE LAW?

Also, I assume emagging stuff should work like normal. Security bots getting the ability to fuck people over even more now.
There was actually for one day a jar roboticists could put brains in. I spent one game being carried around with my brain in a jar GLaDOS style being lugged around by a wizard who'd killed me. He had to actively hold me and not put me in his backpack to talk to me. I gave him the snarky GLaDOS treatment and it was kind of one of the funnest rounds I ever had despite being a handheld item. I wish they'd bring it back.
robertmanbob Wrote:Question: Would we be able to put a brain into beepsky and BECOME THE LAW?

Also, I assume emagging stuff should work like normal. Security bots getting the ability to fuck people over even more now.

Yes, beepsky is a securitron. You'd just have to name the construction beepsky before you finished it. Or just steal beepsky and unlock them.