Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External Airlocks
Airlocks which open to space should require engineering access. If the janitor can't access maintenance, why can an assistant (and a CLOWN) access space?

Also PDAs and flashlights and stuff being battery powered would be kinda cool I think
The Janitor can't access maintenance? Considering there's no other way to get to one of the janitor closets that doesn't seem right.

If you did this though you'd have to have a special circumstance for the escape shuttle area, which would be a bit awkward when there is another external airlock that they randomly wouldn't be able to use... and there are several "external" airlocks that just go to between-station space with catwalks, which are still useful even to assistants (only way to get to a few areas like the routing depot). There's also the airbridge, which technically can open to space if the airbridge is retracted.
Oops, not the janitor, I meant the chef/barman
You know, whenever I play this game, the absolute main thing I think of when I use a PDA is "man, this is great, but it needs to be less convenient and easy to use."

I also think the same thing about getting back into the station when an accident has left me with seconds to act before dying in space. Having run into a situation where external air locks DID end up being above my clearance (South SMES) I ended up dying anyway.

I'm not a fan of any of these ideas, basically.
This is one of those things that makes good sense but bad gameplay. It's the reason you don't see secborgs even though it makes good sense.
Heck, it even makes logical sense outside of gameplay. What if there's an emergency? These are all personnel on a freaking space station. Ideally, payed and trained personal, who should be trusted with the authority to leave the station as necessary, or be able to enter as necessary, such as with emergencies.

I suppose the most logical form of airlock would be one way access locks that are likely asses to code. On one side, they only be use to enter space if you are of a certain authority level, while they are all access on the other side for allowing people to enter from space. Problem is, not only is that an ass to make, but it's still un-fun.
Mageziya Wrote:Heck, it even makes logical sense outside of gameplay. What if there's an emergency? These are all personnel on a freaking space station. Ideally, payed and trained personal, who should be trusted with the authority to leave the station as necessary, or be able to enter as necessary, such as with emergencies.

I suppose the most logical form of airlock would be one way access locks that are likely asses to code. On one side, they only be use to enter space if you are of a certain authority level, while they are all access on the other side for allowing people to enter from space. Problem is, not only is that an ass to make, but it's still un-fun.
A lot of external airlocks are double sets of doors, in which case it could work with everyone having access to the one that leads to space, and then certain people having access to the internal one to cut down on spacing, but that's me just thinking outloud and I think it's fine the way it is.