Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By what measure is a (hu)man?: On mutants and vampires...
kantrol Wrote:Yeah, this is incorrect. If it were correct, the AI would have to worry about harm caused to corpses via decomposition, gibbing or fire and so forth. Since robots do not have to worry about harm caused to corpses, we can conclude that, for for the purposes of the 3 laws of robotics, an innate quality of human beings is life. Because vampires and zombies are created from the bodies of deceased human beings(i.e. a corpse)*, the 3 laws of robotics do not apply to the reanimated dead or else the AI/borgs would have to give a shit about damage to all corpses.

Have you considered the reasons I presented for Vampires being considered alive, at all?
What vampires might TRADITIONALLY be has absolutely no bearing in this situation, from everything we've seen in game (or at least most things) Vampires are, in fact, living human beings.

kantrol Wrote:In either case, admins have already said that the 3 laws of robotics do not apply to confirmed vampires.

This isn't true, and the quote you supplied actually disproves your claim; that was two admins' OPINIONS on the matter, they didn't make anything official.
I think that's the best we're going to get. Letting people take different stances like that changes the way the rounds go, adding variation to the game. An official stance kills that.
I believe that any creature that took part in the monster mash are monsters, not human.
Winterous Wrote:
kantrol Wrote:Yeah, this is incorrect. If it were correct, the AI would have to worry about harm caused to corpses via decomposition, gibbing or fire and so forth. Since robots do not have to worry about harm caused to corpses, we can conclude that, for for the purposes of the 3 laws of robotics, an innate quality of human beings is life. Because vampires and zombies are created from the bodies of deceased human beings(i.e. a corpse)*, the 3 laws of robotics do not apply to the reanimated dead or else the AI/borgs would have to give a shit about damage to all corpses.

Have you considered the reasons I presented for Vampires being considered alive, at all?
What vampires might TRADITIONALLY be has absolutely no bearing in this situation, from everything we've seen in game (or at least most things) Vampires are, in fact, living human beings.

kantrol Wrote:In either case, admins have already said that the 3 laws of robotics do not apply to confirmed vampires.

This isn't true, and the quote you supplied actually disproves your claim; that was two admins' OPINIONS on the matter, they didn't make anything official.

Well, we only have 2 possible sources for evidence: traditional interpretations of vampires and ingame data. Since vampires in SS13 draw a lot of inspiration from traditional interpretations of vampires, it would be a little dumb not to utilize that evidence. Traditionally, vampires are undead beings and/or reanimated corpses.

some thoughts on your post:
-The 3 laws of robotics do not refer to sentience, they refer to humanity. Otherwise, the AI/Borgs could not harm a changeling. Animals can feel pain and require air, but the 3 laws of robotics do not apply to them. Animals are not sentient, but, like I said, the 3 laws of robotics refer to humanity not sentience.
-Having a vampire appear cold to thermals would be canonically correct but would be awful for gameplay. The fact that one can inject drugs into a vampires bloodstream is as likely a limitation of the games engine than anything put in by intent.