Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Activators/Injectors.
I find getting super powers in Genetics to be extremely easy. Go to DNA samples; click your name, research the unknown gene you want, then click create activator. You don't even need to solve the gene to obtain it. I believe to create a activator for the gene you want, you need to solve the gene first, since currently you only need to research the gene, which makes obtaining genes way to easy.
Is there any benefit to solving the gene? if there isn't, maybe solving the gene before injection or activation makes the gene more stable?
Hmm. I'm torn on this - on one hand, it does seem like you can get activators pretty quick. On the other, a competent chemist can whip up horrific poison or wonderful healing chemicals not too far into the round. More feedback needed I think.
If you don't have to solve the gene to create activators then you might as well remove that whole mechanic altogether, you could just research the gene, pop the subject out of the scanner and activate the gene. Since removing the mechanic presumably isn't desirable, please fix this.
I don't really think it needs a nerf considering that the super powers on the whole wont do a huge amount. For example, you might only get something for fun like Jumpy, or Midas Touch. The amount of useful superpowers are pretty low, and the chances of someone having them at round start is even lower. Compare this to how chemistry literally takes less than a minute to whip up something like a beaker full of Neurotoxin smoke, having another department be a bit more powerful is not a terribly bad thing in my opinion.
I think it's fine as is. You might have good genes to activate, or you might have nothing useful.

If we do want to make powerful mutations harder to get, make all the really good ones only acquirable by the gene mixing thing you can do.
How about doing two things. Make chromosomes more common. and require that the gene be solved at least once before a gene can be spliced with a chromosome. that way you need to put in the legwork to get stabilized x-ray or synchronized bio-mass manipulation.
Activators are pretty great as it is. While I've usually gone for researching my own stuff first, it is pretty amazing being able to easily hand out powers and get rewarded for it by bringing in crewmembers, who are often willing to pay good money for activators.